PDA

View Full Version : M&P thoughts...

Hawkeye
03-06-07, 13:16
Just wanted to post a few thoughts on my M&P 9. I ran it in an PSD weapons class this past weekend. Round count was only about 400 rounds (had about 250 through it already). While not a lot of rounds, the gun ran flawlessly with one exception. Early on I had a failure to feed/semi double feed. I am 100% convinced though that it was the ammo, as it was flat nosed 9mm FMJ that had a very short overall length. I didnt care for it much. Other than that, it ran great. Accuracy was not an issue. I did have to work a little in the beginning to get used to the trigger reset and short stroked it a few times, but was running it fine in short order. I am probably going to get with Dan Burwell about remedying that issue.
The 10-8 rear sight in conjunction with the factory front sight was just amazing. Faster than I believed it to be, and accuracy was amazing to me at the speed for which I could run it. Definitely a good combo.

Pic here. (http://www.echelonprotection.com/detail.html?sortNumber=75&gallery=Training%20Images&skipno=72)

Robb Jensen
03-06-07, 13:32
I don't see any Krylon on that pistola! ;)

Mojo58
03-06-07, 13:47
That's interesting. Our agency is in the process of acquiring a sidearm and it's announced the specs of the pistol. It reads like a recipe for the M&P 9. Right down to the magazine safety! I've shot the pistol at the range and was quite pleased with it. My personal is a H&K USP40 and because of this I've taken to the stock trigger of the M&P. However, our agency spec'd an 8-12 lbs. trigger pull with the issue piece and to be carried in a level 3 retention holster.

Hawkeye
03-06-07, 14:07
I don't see any Krylon on that pistola! ;)

You didnt read my post in the other thread??? Apparently, Krylon and Militec-1 do NOT like each other. I'll be remedying the issue soon enough though. Just havent had a chance to sit down and re-do it. :D

daletheman_3
03-06-07, 15:35
I really like the look and feel of the M&P and am in the market for a new sidearm.
The questions I have about it are, is the chamber more supported than a glock? The reason I ask, is that I intend on reloading for it and want to make sure that I am not going to run into the case bulge problem that I hear about on glocks. Also, I intend on shooting lead cast bullets for practice. Is there any rifling issues like the glocks have with excessive leading?

Thank you for any advise and comments and thank you all for a great forum!

Hawkeye
03-06-07, 15:54
M&P barrels have standard rifling so shooting lead bullets is not an issue like it is with a Glock's polygonal barrel.

Robb Jensen
03-06-07, 18:46
You didnt read my post in the other thread??? Apparently, Krylon and Militec-1 do NOT like each other. I'll be remedying the issue soon enough though. Just havent had a chance to sit down and re-do it. :D

No, I did and you called me about it's slide stop lever being sluggish after the removal of the Krylon. I was just ribbin' ya! :p

Dport
03-06-07, 18:47
Mod fight, mod fight!:D

Hawkeye
03-06-07, 18:55
No, I did and you called me about it's slide stop lever being sluggish after the removal of the Krylon. I was just ribbin' ya! :p

You are correct sir. Lack of sleep is taking its toll on me. Got the slide stop running fine though. Must have tweaked it inadvertantly when I had it apart. :)

Hawkeye
03-06-07, 18:55
Mod fight, mod fight!:D

Where is my stick at.......

trio
03-06-07, 19:55
im glad everyone loves their M&Ps...

I still havent had a hiccup in either my full size or compact...they have taken over the role of home defense gun and carry gun respectively....

Boris
03-06-07, 21:15
fwiw, I had my first and only FTF recently during a match somewhere between the 500 and 600 round count. Sounds like your situation and I don't know what to attribute it to. The gun was cleaned before the match and I've run nothing but WWB thru it and am pleased with the accuracy to date. It's been suggested that Mr Dremel on the feed ramp will keep that from becoming an issue but I'd like to get through the break-in period to see if there are other occurrences before resorting to that.

-Boris

Robb Jensen
03-06-07, 21:54
im glad everyone loves their M&Ps...

I still havent had a hiccup in either my full size or compact...they have taken over the role of home defense gun and carry gun respectively....

F'ing sweet pistols. I handled a M&P today with a Burwell Gunsmithing trigger job today and it kicked ass on any triggerwork I've done on M&Ps by leep-years. Dan does one hell of a job. www.burwellgunsmithing.com I'll be sending my M&P9c and M&P45 when it comes out to Dan! :D

daletheman_3
03-07-07, 00:25
Thanks for the info on the barrel and such... It sounds like everyone likes their M&P's. I think that a 40 may just have to find its way home with me next time I wander to the shop.. :D

M4arc
03-07-07, 06:01
Thanks for the info on the barrel and such... It sounds like everyone likes their M&P's. I think that a 40 may just have to find its way home with me next time I wander to the shop.. :D

And another one falls...<evil laugh> :D

John_Wayne777
03-07-07, 12:23
F'ing sweet pistols. I handled a M&P today with a Burwell Gunsmithing trigger job today and it kicked ass on any triggerwork I've done on M&Ps by leep-years. Dan does one hell of a job. www.burwellgunsmithing.com I'll be sending my M&P9c and M&P45 when it comes out to Dan! :D

Well, I know where my M&P will be going when I get back from the AK class this weekend.....

I don't know how much pistol work we will be doing in the AK class, but I am looking forward to getting some class trigger time on my M&P.

Just a darn shame my 6004 won't be here in time to use in the class....

QuietShootr
03-09-07, 20:44
I played with a compact .40 M&P at the fun store this afternoon. My interest level is definitely up.

daletheman_3
03-13-07, 18:14
Well, I got the shop today, and yup, an M&P 40 came home with me! The more I handle this thing, the more I like it. Hopefully will get to the range later this week and try her out. Have not measured the trigger yet, but feels pretty good for factory, so it may or may not get done.

And another one falls...<evil laugh> :D

Yes..... another one falls!! :D