PDA

View Full Version : Streamlight Poly-Tac LED

ZeroDistortionNow
02-05-10, 07:51
Will it last? Is it durable? Anyone see any problems with them yet?

ST911
02-05-10, 12:09
A bright spot in the SL line. A leading LED option at that price point. I know several folks who are using them as back-up or contingency lights, and a few on guns. They seem to be doing well. No long term data yet, but so far so good.

Mark/MO
02-05-10, 17:15
I too am interested in seeing what others think of these. The price really makes you look twice.

GaryXD
02-05-10, 17:54
I have two. For the price I paid I am very impressed. The clicky tailcap even fits on my G2.

one417
02-05-10, 19:40
I've had two PolyTacs for a few months. Both are mounted on rilfes that I use to train with quite often. They have also been through a Magpul course and are running strong. I'm an SF fan, but for the pricepoint, you cant beat the SL PolyTacs LED's.

goodale
02-09-10, 13:42
i have one and i like it very much. i also have a stream light tlr-3 on my home defense glock 17. streamlights are the way to go. one thing i noticed with my polytac( and i would imagine any other plastic bodied light) is that if you have it mounted in a mount (like the vltor i have )and tighten the mount clamp to much, the flashlight body will actually squash a little bit wich messes up battery contact and can cause the light not to work. you just have to loosen the clamp a bit and find the sweet spot thats tight enough and not too tight. all in all i will purchase more streamlight products, they rock and the prices are more realistic than the other company, especially for us regular workinging class guys.

RD62
03-12-10, 16:34
Do these fit in standard G2 mounts?

Thanks!

-RD62

LOKNLOD
03-12-10, 16:39
Do these fit in standard G2 mounts?

Thanks!

-RD62

I've got two in the VTAC mounts. They're a slightly smaller diameter than the G2, but not too small to get locked down. Not sure about other mounts that use more of a clamping system vs. the set screws of the VTAC. I have a Larue mount at the house I can try one out in when I get home...?

RD62
03-12-10, 18:28
Thanks.

I'm specifically interested in VLTOR mounts.

-RD62

LOKNLOD
03-12-10, 18:51
Thanks.

-RD62

No info on the VLTOR mounts, but my G2L measured at about 1.025", and my Polytac LED measured at about .975" (both along the ribbed section of the body).

Bravo30
03-12-10, 19:29
Thanks.

-RD62

I have two Poly-Tacs, one on my patrol rifle, one on the rifle that rides on my quad. Both are mounted in VLTOR QD Off-Set Scout Mounts. Because of the clamping system on the off-set mounts the PolyTac fits tightly even though it is a smaller diameter than the G2. I'm not sure how they would fit in the regular VLTOR scout mounts as the clamping system is different. My guess is they would be loose but nothing a small piece of innertube wouldn't solve.

As for the Poly-Tacs themselves I have well over a thousand rounds through the rifle I carry on my quad (which gets beat up pretty well) and probably a few thousand through the patrol rifle without any issues. The lights still function plus I like the clicky tailcaps better than the tailcap of the G2. I also have been carrying a Poly-Tac on my duty belt so it sees use daily and is still running strong. IMO they are good, cheap, bright lights with a good beam and a acceptable amount of flood.

SoDak
03-16-10, 18:56
Has anybody encountered heat sink issues with the plastic construction of the poly-tac? Since surefire went to a metal bezel on the g2l I've been a bit concerned about the poly-tac. I got to look at a streamligh super-tac today and now I really want a poly-tac HP.

matthewdanger
03-16-10, 19:00
Has anybody encountered heat sink issues with the plastic construction of the poly-tac? Since surefire went to a metal bezel on the g2l I've been a bit concerned about the poly-tac. I got to look at a streamligh super-tac today and now I really want a poly-tac HP.

I would think that would only potentially be a problem on a light that would be run for long periods of time. That wouldn't be the case with a rifle mounted light. If you are going to use it as a general purpose light, I suppose it could get warm enough to do damage to the LED, but I doubt that would happen. Often, these lights have some thermal regulation built in that lowers output if the light is getting too hot.

If something did go wrong, Streamlight would take care of it. I have had to deal with them before and they were great. It seems they usually just replace the product so they don't keep you waiting on a repair.

firediver32
03-16-10, 20:49
do any of the pressure switches work with them?

RD62
03-27-10, 17:10
I picked up some of these recently and have been playing with them.

I got both the incandescent and LED versions, and have mainly been playing with the LED one.

The Poly-Tac LED is slightly lighter than the G2L. My G2L comes in at 4.2oz and the POly-Tac LED at 3.8.

The G2L features a metal bezel where the Poly-Tac LED's is polymer.

The Poly-Tac is rated to 120 lumens for up to 3 hours, and the G2L for 80lumens for up to 3 hours. Sitting here shining them side by side the Poly-Tac is definately brighter and appears to me to have a more defined "hot spot" in the center, but that may be a factor of distance and brightness and not a true beam characteristic.

The Poly-Tac is cheaper than the G2L.

I have successfully mounted the Poly-Tac in the Daniel Defense Offset Mount, and a VLTOR Offset Scout mount. However, the Poly-Tac was to narrow to mount in my VLTOR SM-G Scout Mount, but I think it would work in a C Series mount of the same design. I'll test that when I get more in.

The Poly-Tac has a nice "Clickie" style tail-cap, and I was successful in swapping the caps between the G2L and the Poly-Tac. Neither was ideal on the other, but it worked. For those looking for a pressure switch option for the Poly-Tac, it seems it would be safe to say that a switch designed for the G2 would work.

I have to say so far I believe this light to be a great value. One is going to reside on my SGL-21 for awhile.

-RD62

SmokeJumper
03-29-10, 22:07
Joining a bit late, good post and thus I picked up the LED version. Couldn't beat the price. So far it is quite durable and very bright at 120 lumens.

randyman_ar
03-29-10, 22:13
I have 3. Two mounted, one carry. No problems to date.
Does anyone know if there is a pressure switch for these?

Well I'll be damned!! Question answeresd in post #15. Thanks RD62.

RD62
03-30-10, 22:43
***UPDATE***

I found an old pressure switch I had lying around and tried it on the Poly-Tac.

NO GO!

It fit fine, but would not function. It worked fine on two G2s and a G2L I tried, but not on the Poly-Tac. I can't figure out why. The standard G2 tail-cap fit and functioned on the Poly-Tac, but not the pressure switch.

Maybe a different brand would work better. This is not a Surefire switch, and I've had it so long I can't remember who made it, if I ever even knew.

-RD62

Deaj
05-21-10, 22:02
I have a Streamlight Polytac LED in a VLTOR Scout offset mounted out front on my S&W M&P15T and I'm exceedingly pleased with it so far.

P2000
05-22-10, 01:41
I have pre-ordered a Streamlight PT 2L. It is supposedly shipping on the 25th. Advertised as 180 lumens which is streamights brightest out of two CR123 batteries. It is metal and also has a low output mode. I won't be mounting it, it will be my pocket light.

walter34payton2002
02-08-11, 10:51
Anyone have any updates on this? I too would like to give this light a try, but I need a pressure switch for it. Anyone know yet if there is one available that works?

El Pistolero
02-08-11, 14:12
I have PolyTac LED that I used to use for work. It's now my wife's flashlight, but I abused that light at work and it still works like new. For the price nothing can beat it. 120 lumens and a click switch, the SureFire G2 doesn't even compare dollar-for-dollar. I think a SureFire pressure switch may work with the PolyTac, all my SF tailcaps are interchangeable with the PolyTac but some won't activate the light, like the Z59, while the Z41 twisty will work fine.

DaBigBR
02-08-11, 14:56
Since somebody else resurrected it, I'll contribute.

The Polytac LED is an awesome light. I replaced my G2LED with it after checking out a co-worker's. While strobe mode, dimmer, and other fancy features are becoming the "in" thing, the Polytac LED just works, and works great. Especially since Amazon regularly has them at $35 new (paid $33 for one of mine).

My only concern related to the Polytac lights as a weapon mounted light is actually the click tailcap. My fear is that one could accidentally bump it in to constant on mode, where the twist-for-constant on the Surefire lights would not allow that. Just my two cents, though.

walter34payton2002
02-09-11, 12:34
Looks like the Surefire pressure switch is what everyone says works, but at $100 it makes it no bargain setup anymore. If anyone else had success with another pressure switch, please let us know otherwise I'm gonna keep looking into a solid replacement for my ATN 125 Lumen light setup that is fine, but just a bit on the heavy side at a total weign including mount and switch at 9.xx oz.