PDA

View Full Version : Quick Eotech vs Aimpoint review

silvery37
03-07-10, 10:39
I have been using an aimpoint Comp ML2 for a while and recently picked up a Eotech XPS 2-0. The eotech runs about 470 and comes with a factory mount, the aimpoint is 516 with a larue mount through Larue. The prices are very close. The aimpoint micro is a bit more.

The reticle on the eotech is nice. It has a very crisp dot in the middle with the outer ring. The outer ring is pixelated but it doesnt detract from its usefulness. With this version of the eotech you can get a reticle that only has the dot just like the aimpoint. The one thing I noticed with the eotech is that it doesnt seem to get the flare that the aimpoint does when it is at max illumination. But I believe that the aimpoint is brighter and the flare goes away if your actually using the full illumintion in a setting with high ambient light. The one thing that has bothered me with the aimpoint is when using it with a 3X magnifier. With the magnifier regardless of the illumination level I always seem to have a tail on the dot. I cannot get the dot to appear perfectly round and sharp. I have not used a magnifier with the eotech.

With the eotech every time you turn it on it goes to max illumination. At least with the model I have there is no way for it to remember the last setting it was on. With my aimpoint I just leave it on the setting I want. Another advantage with the aimpoint is that it easier to adjust the illumination levels. With a rotating knob you can visually see or index where you want to set the illumination level. With the eotech you have to watch the reticle while you turn it up or down.

One of the primary things I like better about the aimpoint is that because of the battery life I can leave it on all the time. If I need the rifle I can just pick it up and it is ready to go. With the eotech you will have to turn on the reticle and then adjust it the illumination level you want.

As far as the optic shape and window size I give a slight advantage to the aimpoint. This is more of a preference thing and I dont think there is a big advantage to a square versus round window.

Q-1
03-07-10, 17:07
With the eotech every time you turn it on it goes to max illumination.

That's odd...every EOTech Ive had, all 552s and an XPS, all turn on to the middle setting and can then be dialed more bright or dim from there.

:confused:

HeavyDuty
03-07-10, 18:13
Same here.

dtibbals
03-08-10, 10:48
You are not correct about the max illumination. They come on in the middle of the illumination. Also where does an aimpoint come on? You start off at the bottom and work your way up by turning the knob. You will have to look down it as well to have it at the level you want. Sure you can leave them on all the time if you wish but depending on if your shooting outside, in your home at night or with changing lighting your going to have to adjust the brightness level at some point. Seems to me that your hung up on something that does not matter. Do you know how fast it is to grab a rifle and push a button? You can push either the up or down button and its on.

If you are really worried about being ready at all times just run iron sights on it and be done with it.

David

silvery37
03-08-10, 14:15
You guys are right it does come on in the middle.

I still like the ability to leave the aimpoint on at a specific level. This wont matter to some people but it is something that is important to me.

With the xps the buttons are on the back of the unit. With a magnifier they are difficult to get at without rotating or removing the magnfier. It is not impossible but I find the knob on the aimpoint easier to access.

dtibbals
03-08-10, 19:45
They do have one with buttons on the side now in the XPS line new this year. I feel that running a magnifier with a red dot sight is a poor idea. I used to run one and sold it. With all of the 1-4 optics out now they are a much better solution and in most cases cheaper than a red dot with 3x. A Trijicon 1-4 is superior in every way to an Aimpoint with a 3x at a lower cost and weight.

David

payj
03-08-10, 19:58
They do have one with buttons on the side now in the XPS line new this year. I feel that running a magnifier with a red dot sight is a poor idea. I used to run one and sold it. With all of the 1-4 optics out now they are a much better solution and in most cases cheaper than a red dot with 3x. A Trijicon 1-4 is superior in every way to an Aimpoint with a 3x at a lower cost and weight.

David

Why didn't you like it? thinking about buying a magnifier for my AP. Would like to hear more!!

AWW kind of have a boner for the elcan spector dr for a 1x4 (think there 1.5x4?) but they use arms mounts :mad: if larue comes out with a badass mount for it maybe ill bite.

dtibbals
03-08-10, 20:11
Why didn't you like it? thinking about buying a magnifier for my AP. Would like to hear more!!

AWW kind of have a boner for the elcan spector dr for a 1x4 (think there 1.5x4?) but they use arms mounts :mad: if larue comes out with a badass mount for it maybe ill bite.

Weight, rail space can be tight with a back up iron sight as well, it has to flip to the side when not in use which can snag on equipment, door jams etc. If you do the twist off version you have to retrieve it from a pocket etc which is slow and in a "time is life" moment that is not going to work.
Also the eye relief can cause you to have to adjust on the stock which does not aid it in being very quick. The new 1-4 optics are more powerful, bright, allow 2 eyes shooting and weigh less than the magnifier option. I also found that the 3x really didn't help a lot with a more precision shot at distance because on the Aimpoint it would also increase the dot size by twice if I remember correctly.

Bottom line is for $900 plus bucks I can have a Trijicon or am close to the price of a nightforce 1-4 which is superior to any red dot with magnifier.

I have also changed my thoughts on rifles with tons of junk all over them. I keep them lean and mean and easy to handle.

David

payj
03-08-10, 21:16
thanks for the info...

Q-1
03-09-10, 06:56
. A Trijicon 1-4 is superior in every way to an Aimpoint with a 3x at a lower cost and weight.

David

Maybe to an Aimpoint, but not necessarily an EOTech. AFAIK, the Trij 1-4 still offers no ranging ability whatsoever...even with the German crosshair ret. And, for me, it is still not as fast as the Eot in CQB.

YMMV

silvery37
03-09-10, 10:09
I use an aimpoint with magnifier and they have their place. A 1-4 scope is good for ranges from 0-300. The advantage of a aimpoint with magnifier is when you are shooting 0-300 but the majority of the time is spent under 25. An aimpoint or eotech is going to have an advantage over a 1-4 at cqb distances while the 1-4 will have an advantage at longer ranges. There isnt an optic yet that can combine all the advantages of a red dot for short range with the advantages of a magnified scope for long range. Some come close but there are still compromises.

In my opinion if over 75 percent of your shooting is under 25 yards you are best with a aimpoint and possibly adding a magnifier. If you shoot equally or a target could come up at any range from 0-300 a 1-4 scope is probably the best. If 75 percent or more of your targets are passed 50 yards I would probably use something like a nightforce 2.5-10.