PDA

View Full Version : SCAR SBR CQC replacement barrel

mildot
06-06-10, 13:36
I see that these folks are making replacement barrels for the SCAR platform. That said, there website "about us" section defines them as producing various barrels for different platforms with great success and confidence.Both in the manufacturing process and modifying customer barrels as well.
Any troops able to comment on there work or production?

http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php

HK51Fan
06-13-10, 22:49
I see that these folks are making replacement barrels for the SCAR platform. That said, there website "about us" section defines them as producing various barrels for different platforms with great success and confidence.Both in the manufacturing process and modifying customer barrels as well.
Any troops able to comment on there work or production?

http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php

this should make a lot of SCAR guy's happy.

ryu_sekai
06-15-10, 09:36
this should make a lot of SCAR guy's happy.

I have some guys were not very happy with the quality when they got their bbls back. Read this on FN forum but it was non scar related, think it was an ar bbl

C4IGrant
06-15-10, 10:03
Just as an FYI, FN is making SBR length barrels for both the SCAR and PS90 so folks can SBR them.

C4

99HMC4
06-15-10, 10:11
Just as an FYI, FN is making SBR length barrels for both the SCAR and PS90 so folks can SBR them.

C4

Where? FN told me as well as other no civi sales on sub 16" barrels....

C4IGrant
06-15-10, 10:17
Where? FN told me as well as other no civi sales on sub 16" barrels....

They did not give me a date, but said they are working on them.

I am an LE Dealer so don't know anything about their Civy policies (sorry). I do know that we will be stocking them.

C4

tobasco
06-15-10, 11:17
They did not give me a date, but said they are working on them.

I am an LE Dealer so don't know anything about their Civy policies (sorry). I do know that we will be stocking them.

C4

cant wait for them to be in stock. no point in a 16" scar for me.

ryu_sekai
06-15-10, 13:58

C4

I'm glad to hear this! I emailed them last month and they stated they would not be making any 10.0 bbl. I'm glad they changed their minds!

mildot
06-15-10, 17:05

So "reading between the lines" you will need LE credentials to purchase the FN barrels.

tobasco
06-15-10, 17:47
So "reading between the lines" you will need LE credentials to purchase the FN barrels.

damn. maybe i can get some cop friends to purchase.

buddyhoohaw
06-15-10, 17:52
damn. maybe i can get some cop friends to purchase.

You may want to get a tax stamp as well....;)

Cheers

variablebinary
06-15-10, 22:25
I dont want to deal with a dog and pony show. If I cant buy factory SBR barrels at will, without drama, there is no way in hell I will get another SCAR.

I just dumped my SCAR because FN does a crap job of supporting the 16S

tobasco
06-15-10, 22:36

Cheers

A what? :confused:

militarymoron
06-15-10, 22:44
...for an SBR, which the SCAR will be with a short barrel.

tobasco
06-15-10, 22:51

Cheers

Lol. I know, I was jk. I like to do that at the range.

parishioner
06-16-10, 00:15
I dont want to deal with a dog and pony show. If I cant buy factory SBR barrels at will, without drama, there is no way in hell I will get another SCAR.

I just dumped my SCAR because FN does a crap job of supporting the 16S

Ironically, quick barrel change capability is what was touted yet no SBR barrels. Hell, you can't even get another 16" barrel for it yet. Hopefully, they will see the light.

I also remember reading something like, "yea, hi-desertdog is making replacement barrels but not barrel extensions which is what is needed for the "quick change".

Can someone clarify the barrel extension issue?

militarymoron
06-16-10, 08:17
Lol. I know, I was jk. I like to do that at the range.
LOL - you're probably THAT guy that folks post about on forums. "this guy at the range was shooting an SBR and when i asked him how long his paperwork took, he said "what paperwork?". :)

variablebinary
06-17-10, 00:38
Ironically, quick barrel change capability is what was touted yet no SBR barrels. Hell, you can't even get another 16" barrel for it yet. Hopefully, they will see the light.

I also remember reading something like, "yea, hi-desertdog is making replacement barrels but not barrel extensions which is what is needed for the "quick change".

Can someone clarify the barrel extension issue?

A lot of people are praying that a 3rd party will make SCAR barrels.

However they dont realize how daunting this is.

SCAR barrels are incredibly complex.

http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/images/FNM0110x.png

The LMT MRP also as a QD barrel system, but notice how simple the barrel is, even the piston version. Which leads to the 2nd question; what would a SCAR barrel cost given the complexity?

http://dynamicarmament.com/images/LMTPISTON/LMT16GPCONVERSIONKIT.jpg

Dave_M
06-17-10, 15:33
I do know that we will be stocking them.

C4

Can't wait! :D

99HMC4
06-17-10, 21:31
I do know that we will be stocking them.

C4

You mean you will be back ordered soon? :D Or should you say you will be out of stock soon? Im sure they will go fast....

Turnkey11
06-18-10, 12:39

Kinda like buying a FN Five seveN IOM in 2004, they came with a letter in the case stating it had to be sold to a individual officer only.

ryu_sekai
06-18-10, 13:03
Kinda like buying a FN Five seveN IOM in 2004, they came with a letter in the case stating it had to be sold to a individual officer only.

Did the officer have to just fax a copy of the commision care? I really want a scar cqc but don't really wanna chop a 16 and mess with the gas ports...

ryu_sekai
06-21-10, 07:34
I emailed FNH about the 10.0 bbls and they advised me civies will not beable to get them at all, police depts will be the only ones to get them. So no go for LEOs Wanting to buy a personal one...

variablebinary
06-22-10, 02:06
I emailed FNH about the 10.0 bbls and they advised me civies will not beable to get them at all, police depts will be the only ones to get them. So no go for LEOs Wanting to buy a personal one...

That is essentially what I was told too.

This is a big part of why I sold my SCAR.

Turnkey11
06-22-10, 23:46
Did the officer have to just fax a copy of the commision care? I really want a scar cqc but don't really wanna chop a 16 and mess with the gas ports...

I dunno, I wasnt a officer at the time, bought it on gunbroker.

CarlosDJackal
06-23-10, 12:18

C4

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the 10.5" barrel always available for the SCAR? In fact, the very first SCAR L I saw and got to shoot was in this configuration.

All FN has to do is release the barrels for sale to those individuals who wish to SBR this rifle. Even if they will only do so to those with the approved ATF forms this would be a step in the right direction and would certainly help convince me to get a SCAR.

But the lack of available spare parts as well as short barrels pretty much convinced me to hold off and just build myself another AR-15.

C4IGrant
06-23-10, 12:53
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the 10.5" barrel always available for the SCAR? In fact, the very first SCAR L I saw and got to shoot was in this configuration.

All FN has to do is release the barrels for sale to those individuals who wish to SBR this rifle. Even if they will only do so to those with the approved ATF forms this would be a step in the right direction and would certainly help convince me to get a SCAR.

But the lack of available spare parts as well as short barrels pretty much convinced me to hold off and just build myself another AR-15.

Correct (if your PD/Agency/SO) bought a FA SCAR. The issue is that all short barrels are made in Belgium and cannot be sold in the US. This is why FN USA is going to produce them in the US (so that they can be sold).

C4

99HMC4
06-23-10, 13:27
I think gant and FNH USA are working together to tease us till we snap! :D People just need to relax a bit before jumping on the "no parts, no SCAR" bandwagon......

Todd.K
06-23-10, 13:37
1 SCAR-L barrels can only be sold to MIL/PD because of the barrel import ban, regardless of length.

2 I don't see any restrictions on the PD selling the barrels, though I am no expert on the law.

3 The SCAR-L barrel may not be legal to install on a SCAR-S even if it's legal to own, because of 922r. I don't know the number of imported parts on the SCAR-S.

CarlosDJackal
06-24-10, 13:36
Correct (if your PD/Agency/SO) bought a FA SCAR. The issue is that all short barrels are made in Belgium and cannot be sold in the US. This is why FN USA is going to produce them in the US (so that they can be sold).

C4

Ah, so. I didn't even know that there was a ban on imported barrels. Does this have something to do with the number of US made parts that a firearm has to have before it can be owned by us mere citizens? Thanks!!

Todd.K
06-25-10, 13:04
922r defines how many US manufactured parts are needed to consider a firearm as being US made. Assault rifles and other guns that the ATF deem as not particularly suitable for sporting purposes cannot be imported.

Barrels were added to the import ban to keep cheap AK etc. parts kits from being imported and built with enough US parts to be legal.

oldpueblonfa
09-07-10, 16:11
922r defines how many US manufactured parts are needed to consider a firearm as being US made. Assault rifles and other guns that the ATF deem as not particularly suitable for sporting purposes cannot be imported.

Barrels were added to the import ban to keep cheap AK etc. parts kits from being imported and built with enough US parts to be legal.

A 10 or 14 inch SCAR barrel in an NFA item and doesn't need to comply since it isn't for sporting purposes in the first place. Should be importable.

Didn't need to bring this thread back from the dead.

I've been looking for SCAR parts.

JoshNC
09-08-10, 21:55
A 10 or 14 inch SCAR barrel in an NFA item and doesn't need to comply since it isn't for sporting purposes in the first place. Should be importable.

Barrels for non-sporting firearms, which includes NFA-regulated items, are not importable based on ATF's re-interpretation of 922(r) and 922(d)3. This was a change in policy which occurred around 2003 or 2004 (I could be wrong on the date).

Prior to this ATF allowed barrels and receivers of non-sporting firearms to be imported for "repair and replacement" of firearms already in the US. This is why importers were allowed to bring in Imbel FAL receivers, IMI Galil and Uzi receivers, Portugese semiauto G3 receivers, Steyr and Austeyr AUG receivers, and SIG 551 receivers as well as the respective barrels for said firearms.

ATF ultimately put an end to this.

ikickhippies
09-08-10, 22:58

Don't think so on this one dude. A 10" or 14" barrel in and of itself is not held to the same regard as a silencer or SBR. Neither is a 10" AR-15 Barrel. Anybody can have one shipped directly to their home without involving an FFL dealer or ATF.

Sean M
09-08-10, 23:08
Chopping a SCAR barrel is not as much work as some might think. Gas ports are not too difficult, so long as you don't have your barrel work done by Joe Bob down at the local gun shop, and actually use a professional with the right number of brain cells, and the right tools.

variablebinary
09-09-10, 10:07
Chopping a SCAR barrel is not as much work as some might think. Gas ports are not too difficult, so long as you don't have your barrel work done by Joe Bob down at the local gun shop, and actually use a professional with the right number of brain cells, and the right tools.

Then all you have is an out of spec weapon with a voided warranty, that still lacks spare parts and barrels.

Sean M
09-09-10, 20:32
Yup.

What I have is an out of spec barrel, that is identical to factory 10.3 specs, and runs just as well, both suppressed and un-suppressed.

Agree that FNH would be well served to support the platform with spare components, but there will be other vendors who will be along to make those components FNH doesn't want to release........just as there are with the AR.

Just saying that if one wants to SBR a SCAR, it is not difficult.

scottryan
09-09-10, 20:49
Yup.

What I have is an out of spec barrel, that is identical to factory 10.3

Its not.

Belmont31R
09-09-10, 20:55
Then all you have is an out of spec weapon with a voided warranty, that still lacks spare parts and barrels.

What do people expect when FN's advertising revolves around guns for "us" and guns for "them"?

If you arent part of "them" then you're going to be SOL....

Also notice the same rail/gas block length no matter what the barrel length is. Its not a modular system, and you are stuck with what you get out of the box.

Robb Jensen
09-09-10, 21:02

Should and is...is two different things. Doesn't work that way bro.

Even many friends of mine who work for a few U.S. Federal law enforcement agencies said that even their agencies couldn't (at least as of a year ago) couldn't even buy new barrels for HK416s, FN 249s, 240s, Mk48s, M2s, M3s etc. They have to get whole guns just to get barrels. All in the name of 'no imported machinegun barrels'. Sometimes it's makes you wonder....

variablebinary
09-09-10, 21:12
Yup.

What I have is an out of spec barrel, that is identical to factory 10.3 specs, and runs just as well, both suppressed and un-suppressed.

No, it isn't.

It may cycle, but you have zero clue if the weapon is functioning correctly.

Todd.K
09-10-10, 12:34
The gas block and gas port are different on the 10" barrel, if those are modified correctly it should function correctly.

People have been cutting down AR barrels for a few years... If the gas port is done right they function properly.

Dano5326
09-10-10, 15:24
BFD...

SOCOM CQBR uppers started as, shocking, shortened (14.5" to 10.3") uppers with enlarged gas ports. All that matters is getting the proper gas volume to enable function, not how pretty.

99HMC4
09-10-10, 18:03
No, it isn't.

It may cycle, but you have zero clue if the weapon is functioning correctly.

How would you say is the right way to determine if the rifle is functioning correctly? How do you do it and how does FN do it? And what would you feel comfortable with? Not being a dick, just would like to know...

Todd.K
09-11-10, 12:23
I'd be pretty sceptical about getting a SCAR barrel cut down myself, not many smiths with experience working on them.

Cutting a barrel and opening a gas port is nothing new, getting the gas system right is another thing...

Robb Jensen
09-11-10, 12:42
The gas ports on SCARs is like a carburetor on an old car. It's just a threaded hole in the barrel (all are the same size). Then a jet/plug is installed on this threaded port, threaded in with a pre-determined hole in the middle of it.

FN uses a machine which fires 1 round to find the cyclic rate. They then can figure out what size jet/plug to use to keep the rifles cyclic rate very close to one another. I forget what the percentage rate of variance was I want to say 5-7% within each other on military guns.
On a semi auto gun it probably wouldn't matter as much as long as it was pretty close. A military FN armorer wouldn't have to pull this jet/plug on several real 10.3" SCAR Mk16s and see what what's the smallest and largest sized used on them to find out a round about port size to open this jet/plug too after cutting the barrel.

It's a pretty neat system which can be used to control cyclec rates in the SCARS. Example: if a rifle started having 'port erosion'. They could just replace this jet/plug if the gun started cycling too fast. They could also have specific barrels for specific purposes. For example they couldn't make a barrel which would work for suppressed use only to keep the cyclic rate manageable. They could make a SPR type barrel for use in high elevations with cold weather etc.

This technology could easily be used on ARs and would be neat for guns like the LMT MWS or MRP. It would be cool to have an MRP with say a 10" supressed barrel, a 14.5" non suppressed barrel. Both having the exact same cyclic rate and reliability.

variablebinary
09-11-10, 12:43
O
How would you say is the right way to determine if the rifle is functioning correctly? How do you do it and how does FN do it? And what would you feel comfortable with? Not being a dick, just would like to know...

Doing it right would require parts FN does not sell.

The SCAR is not an AR15. Gas is not regulated the same.

The fact remains; cut the SCAR barrel and all you have is an out of spec weapon with a voided warranty

scottryan
09-12-10, 22:01
BFD...

SOCOM CQBR uppers started as, shocking, shortened (14.5" to 10.3") uppers with enlarged gas ports. All that matters is getting the proper gas volume to enable function, not how pretty.

The difference is very few people have a real FN 10.5" SCAR barrel to reverse engineer or to compare to a 3rd party gunsmith job.

buddyhoohaw
09-13-10, 08:27
The difference is very few people have a real FN 10.5" SCAR barrel to reverse engineer or to compare to a 3rd party gunsmith job.

SCAR CQC barrel = 10.0".

Cheers

scottryan
09-13-10, 12:24
We are not being unreasonable by wanting factory short barrels.

What is unreasonable is people telling us this is no big deal and we should settle for a 3rd party reverse engineered gunsmith job on the main componet of a $2500 gun.

These people should be demading FN fix this lack of barrel problem instead.

Dano5326
09-13-10, 13:40
What is unreasonable is to whine about a Belgian based company, producing war armaments, knee-deep in USG orders, not catering to a few US hobbyist desires.

If it was a commercially viable proposition, it would of happened already.

knock off gas block, enlarge hole, re-install. Or.. if you wanted something with more viable external ballistics & range of ammo which would function.. chop to 12-12.5". Likely no enlargement needed.

I would certainly like Toyota to offer front & rear air lockers on the 4x4 Tacoma... but recognize the liability which would be incurred by a big company offering this & realize they wouldn't sell the numbers required to make a go of it. Sometimes you have to man up, sort it out & make what you want.

scottryan
09-13-10, 14:17
What is unreasonable is to whine about a Belgian based company, producing war armaments, knee-deep in USG orders, not catering to a few US hobbyist desires.

If it was a commercially viable proposition, it would of happened already.

Colt short barrels are plenty avaliable.

buddyhoohaw
09-13-10, 14:29
Having my SCAR barrel chopped and gas port tweaked was a whole helluva lot easier and quicker than having either of my krinkovs built. Would I prefer that factory 10" barrels are available? Yes, if reasonably priced. Obviously, as of now, spare barrels are not an option so I utilized the services of a gunsmith that I trusted and am happy with the end results. To date I have just over 500 rds with no issues. This may not be nearly enough rounds to convince the majority, however I will continue to report back as I get more shooting in. The paperwork, as always, was the most time consuming aspect.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/FN%20SCAR/SCAR010.jpg

Now carry on with the regularly scheduled whining about FN's lack of civvy support.

Cheers

Dano5326
09-13-10, 15:50
Yeah, slipped my mind..... Colt just moved corporate hq.. now Belgian based too :rolleyes:

Don't forget to retro-bitch about Colt's wrong sized pin holes, pinned in blocks and semi carriers...

scottryan
09-13-10, 16:12
Yeah, slipped my mind..... Colt just moved corporate hq.. now Belgian based too :rolleyes:

Don't forget to retro-bitch about Colt's wrong sized pin holes, pinned in blocks and semi carriers...

I'm sure there are plenty of impediments designed into the civilan SCAR to prevent it from becoming full auto.

FN has plenty of manufacturing capabilty in the US.

We are tired of aftermarket crap on quality weapons.

tobasco
10-27-10, 22:13
Having my SCAR barrel chopped and gas port tweaked was a whole helluva lot easier and quicker than having either of my krinkovs built. Would I prefer that factory 10" barrels are available? Yes, if reasonably priced. Obviously, as of now, spare barrels are not an option so I utilized the services of a gunsmith that I trusted and am happy with the end results. To date I have just over 500 rds with no issues. This may not be nearly enough rounds to convince the majority, however I will continue to report back as I get more shooting in. The paperwork, as always, was the most time consuming aspect.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/FN%20SCAR/SCAR010.jpg

Now carry on with the regularly scheduled whining about FN's lack of civvy support.

Cheers

that looks effing great! big balls you have!!

Hootiewho
10-30-10, 12:09
O

Doing it right would require parts FN does not sell.

The SCAR is not an AR15. Gas is not regulated the same.

The fact remains; cut the SCAR barrel and all you have is an out of spec weapon with a voided warranty

I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about and seem to be arguing for arguments sake. I have equipment (that I used in the SCAR vs AR thread) where I can take readings on my 16s, have the barrel chopped to 10" and adjust the gas port until it runs identical to the 16" variant. It is not rocket science, and the adjustment of the gas port is no different than with an AR/AK.....

We know you don't like the SCAR, we know you sold yours, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, please step aside and stop passing on mis-information.

Hootiewho
10-30-10, 12:22
Colt short barrels are plenty avaliable.

Brother, nothing personal, but Colt is about the most F-d up gun company out there. If you believe otherwise you have your head in the sand. If it weren't for folks like Ken Elmore and Clyde Armory I'm quite sure there would not be so many "Colt" factory SBR's around.

Yea, in a perfect world you could order all available barrel lengths with your SCAR when you buy it. You could get HK416 uppers/rifles at the cost of what they're really worth. You could buy a Factory Colt 6933 with the right buffer and extractor spring straight from Colt instead of having to buy that stuff extra after you purchase the rifle, but it isn't perfect, it is what it is. Be glad we live somewhere where we can own the stuff we own.

Sean M
10-30-10, 14:07
All told, I have fired countless thousands of rounds through the SCAR variants.

3000+ since my 16S was SBR'd. Half of those with suppressor attached. Two malfunctions occurred over those 3000+ rounds, both from the same magazine. Got rid of the magazine at about round 1200(ish). Not a problem since.

I once had over 30 malfunctions in a single day with a brand new, unpacked it myself, Mk16 CQB. Took the FNH rep replacing the barrel and half of the internals to get it running properly. Once he did, it ran like a champ.

Done right, a 16S SBR can be as effective and reliable as a factory Mk16 CQB. And just because the barrel is factory doesn't mean it is immune to discrepancies.

I agree 100% that FNH should be offering components, to include barrels and spare parts, as well as the lesser known factory upgrades to the civilian shooting community. No argument from me about that.

Management does what management does. They have their reasons, however ridiculous they seem to the guys on the tail end. All the internet banter in the world will not change their minds, or policies, or regulations, or whatever it is that is driving their decisions.

FNH will release what it wants, when it wants, and to who it wants. It's not like someone held a gun to our heads and forced us to buy a newly designed and marketed gun.

Hootiewho
10-30-10, 17:36
All told, I have fired countless thousands of rounds through the SCAR variants.

3000+ since my 16S was SBR'd. Half of those with suppressor attached. Two malfunctions occurred over those 3000+ rounds, both from the same magazine. Got rid of the magazine at about round 1200(ish). Not a problem since.

I once had over 30 malfunctions in a single day with a brand new, unpacked it myself, Mk16 CQB. Took the FNH rep replacing the barrel and half of the internals to get it running properly. Once he did, it ran like a champ.

Done right, a 16S SBR can be as effective and reliable as a factory Mk16 CQB. And just because the barrel is factory doesn't mean it is immune to discrepancies.

I agree 100% that FNH should be offering components, to include barrels and spare parts, as well as the lesser known factory upgrades to the civilian shooting community. No argument from me about that.

Management does what management does. They have their reasons, however ridiculous they seem to the guys on the tail end. All the internet banter in the world will not change their minds, or policies, or regulations, or whatever it is that is driving their decisions.

FNH will release what it wants, when it wants, and to who it wants. It's not like someone held a gun to our heads and forced us to buy a newly designed and marketed gun.

Exactly.

99HMC4
10-30-10, 20:09
http://hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=538

Stephen_H
10-30-10, 21:51
I wish FN offered factory 10" CQC barrels. It's true that I would prefer a factory option.

That being said, my Nefarious Arms modified 10" CQC barrel has 2313 rounds through it without issue (other than having to open the gas port insert for proper functioning). It will likely have another 1500 through it by year's end.

As to the other arguements about spare parts, etc.; they will come. How many spares or other options were available when the Colt AR15/SP1 hit the market in the 60's? A different gun market to be sure, but a valid comparison none-the-less.

Stephen

Dave_M
10-31-10, 21:31
I'm SBR'ing mine. I'm thinking 12" would sit right around ideal.

mildot
02-01-11, 09:54
Well I took this off the Hi-Desert Dog site, anyone have any info on this? any news at SHOT.Looks promising?

New Hi-desertdog complete drop in replacement barrel for the Scar 16. These are 556 nato chamber with 1in7 twist and are hard chrome lined. These are built from hand picked blanks with precision cut 556 nato chamber and then hard chrome lined chamber and bore. We made these a quality product with the chrome lined bore etc because they have to be good enough to use on our own Scar carbines. These shoot well under 1" all day, even in the 10" CQC/SBR version. Comes with 1/2x28 threaded muzzle. The barrel body and all threads are concentric to bore for superior accuracy and of course reliable silencer use. Barrel extension is installed and headspaced to 556 nato. Gas block installed and has Picatinny rail top for folding front sights.

Army Chief
02-01-11, 16:30
I believe that I would still prefer to have a competent conversion done to my existing barrel (assuming we won't be getting our hands on a factory CQB tube), though the jury still seems to be out on who can be trusted with this kind of work at the moment.

AC

fasty77
03-30-11, 21:25
I shoot National Match and have been to Camp Perry a couple times. I would like to see a stainless match barrel. I think this would be a cool niche market. The scar is a issue rifle i wonder if it would qualify for matches?

Alaskapopo
03-08-12, 22:54
I shoot National Match and have been to Camp Perry a couple times. I would like to see a stainless match barrel. I think this would be a cool niche market. The scar is a issue rifle i wonder if it would qualify for matches?

I would like a 18 inch stainless match medium contour barrel for three gun.
Pat

Stephen_H
03-09-12, 09:09
Realize this is borderline necropost, but figured a quick update was in order since this thread had popped back up.

I hit the 6K round mark a few weeks back on my chopped 16S. Still runs like a champ. I have had exactly one malfunction with this carbine. 99% of shooting has been with the Gemtech G5 mounted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/stephen_101st/Gear/DSC02033.jpg

Yog
04-04-12, 11:52
Friends,

For what it's worth....

I've been in communication with a FNH USA regional sales manager and he assures me that factory SCAR short barrels will be available for sale this year in 5.56 and 7.62. He also tells me that FNH will sell complete SBRs to civilians at a later date.

I'm hoping this is true, but I tend to believe him.

Yog

BiggLee71
12-09-12, 10:53
Friends,

For what it's worth....

I've been in communication with a FNH USA regional sales manager and he assures me that factory SCAR short barrels will be available for sale this year in 5.56 and 7.62. He also tells me that FNH will sell complete SBRs to civilians at a later date.

I'm hoping this is true, but I tend to believe him.

Yog

That would be great timing for me as I am currently in the market for a SCAR and would like to eventually SBR it. FNH selling SBR's commercially to citizens would cut out the "SBRing/barrel cutting" portion of the process out for me. Plus as many others have mentioned...I'd feel more comfortable with FNH providing the appropriate factory parts rather than having a gunsmith chopping it.

Yog..any updates from your FNH contact? Thanks, Lee

Yog
12-09-12, 11:24
Lee,

Here's the latest from Mark H. at FNH-USA.

Sorry, but I can't get the details of the barrel lengths/part numbers to algn correctly, but you get the idea.

Yog

To: "@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:00 AM
Subject: RE: SCAR stuff...

We are expecting the short barrels any day. The barrels are made and are waiting for some parts for final assembly.

There is currently no discussion of us releasing a factory short barrel rifle. We would love to offer it, but we are not able to at this time, as the SCAR rifles are imported from Belgium.

Please see below for more information on the SCAR barrels:

Please spread the word that the SCAR short barrels are coming. This is a good time for everyone (end user customers) to get Form 1s completed so they can take advantage of the short barrels when they are delivered in a few months. Dealers will need this information to assist their customers in completing Form 1s.

FNH USA is pleased to announce that complete “CQB” length barrel assemblies for the SCAR 16S and 17S will be available to the commercial market in the Fall of 2012. Proudly built in the USA by the same manufacturer who has been providing machine gun, carbine, and precision rifle barrels to our Military and Special Operations Troops for years, the FN SCAR® Complete Barrel Assemblies represent the highest order of quality and precision manufacturing in the world. Now, the same core concept of mission specific adaptability that the SCAR® system provides for USSOCOM Operators will be available to our commercial customers as well.

The barrels are free floating, cold hammer forged, chrome lined and built to rigid Mil Spec standards. Each complete assembly includes the front sight and gas block assemblies, gas piston, 6 O’clock rail, and flash hider installed. The complete barrel assembly comes ready to be installed by the user using only a Torx® T-25 torque wrench and is ready to shoot without head-spacing.

The application process for manufacturing a short barreled rifle may take months to complete. Thoroughly reviewing the ATF requirements and correctly filling out all paperwork will help avoid timely errors. Among the information required to apply for a permit to manufacture a short barreled rifle is the barrel length and overall length of the rifle. Reference the table below for this information:

Product #
Description
New Overall Length
Actual Barrel Length
SCAR 16S 10" Barrel Assembly
31.25"
10"
SCAR 16S 14" Barrel Assembly
35"
14"
SCAR 17S 13" Barrel Assembly
35"
13"

ATTENTION: Barrels less than 16” are subject to NFA regulation. All NFA Regulations apply. Please check your local and state laws before ordering. Contact your local ATF Field Office with any NFA related questions you may have, or reference the ATF via their website by clicking the following link: http://www.atf.gov/

As always, it is good to hear from you, please let me know if I can help!
Mark T. Hanish
Western Regional Sales Manager
FNH USA, LLC
28248 N Tatum Blvd Ste B1-231 | Cave Creek AZ 85331

one
12-13-12, 00:36
Any comments on pricing arena that you've heard?

Particularly for the 13' 17S barrel.

Ferris2son
12-13-12, 19:54
North of $1100 or...

the same price as a Colt 6920 shipped.

FlyingHunter
12-13-12, 20:30
Costly...yes. Will I buy one...no, I'll buy 2. One for the Scar 16 and one for the 17.

bayonet14
08-15-13, 11:03
On the SCAR 17 barrel assemblies: $1422.50 shipped.

On the SCAR 16 barrel assemblies: $1322.50 shipped.

Latest price from FN Dealer

Alaskapopo
08-15-13, 14:16
Any word on Scar 17 20 inch precision barrels.
Pat

bwhited
08-15-13, 20:01

So are they available and shipping or just pricing....

jknopp44
08-18-13, 14:26
So are they available and shipping or just pricing....

I am curious to this as well. Has anyone attempted to purchase?

kwilkin
08-18-13, 15:53
I am curious to this as well. Has anyone attempted to purchase?

They are not out yet. One FNH dealer was quoted that barrels would be shipping within a couple of weeks.

When they are available, you will know because the boards will blow up with chatter about it.

Ferris2son
08-19-13, 16:52
I know of two dealers that each received a single 10" 16 barrel.

I saw one sell on GB for $2000. Insane.

I suspect FN will follow their standard MO and trickle them out.

Ferris2son
08-19-13, 17:02
My 10" cut by Marvin Pitts

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab242/ferris2son/SCAR1610_zps3fe74e40.jpg

kwilkin
08-19-13, 18:50
I know of two dealers that each received a single 10" 16 barrel.

I saw one sell on GB for $2000. Insane.

I suspect FN will follow their standard MO and trickle them out.

Just like they are "trickling out" 8,000 17S mags per month?

ETA: sweet rifle, btw.

Ferris2son
08-19-13, 20:26
Just like they are "trickling out" 8,000 17S mags per month?

ETA: sweet rifle, btw.

Yes. Just like the 17S mags were for three years.

RHINOWSO
08-19-13, 21:45
My 10" cut by Marvin Pitts
Nice, he chopped my 16 to 10.5" and 17 to 13".

I love the chrome flaking end of the world conspiracy theories!

Regardless, factory FN SCAR barrel are going to cost a good bit north of $1000 even when supply catches up, from what I've heard in the $1200-1300 range.

jknopp44
08-20-13, 09:06
Ironically I open my email this morning and I see the FNH newsletter officially stating the release of the SCAR barrel assemblies.

Ferris2son
08-20-13, 21:52

This is the same as I'm hearing.

Magic_Salad0892
08-21-13, 01:48
$1,500 for a ****in' barrel?

Alaskapopo
08-21-13, 01:50
$1,500 for a ****in' barrel?

I know that puts off any plans I had to get a 20 inch barrel. Think I will just buy a JP when funds allow.
Pat

Iraqgunz
08-21-13, 05:48
One day I will get a SCAR17 and then I will just have the barrel professionally shortened.

I am however eagerly awaiting FN's new commercial M4 carbine. I really want an FN marked lower to drop my FN A4 upper on to.

Magic_Salad0892
08-21-13, 06:51
I am however eagerly awaiting FN's new commercial M4 carbine. I really want an FN marked lower to drop my FN A4 upper on to.

Is that a thing that's happening?

kwilkin
08-21-13, 07:23
One day I will get a SCAR17 and then I will just have the barrel professionally shortened.

Is that sarcasm? My understanding is that FN cannot sell M4/M16 copies to the public per the terms of their TDP lease from Colt.

Iraqgunz
08-22-13, 00:23
Someone threw a rock at my house with a note attached to it. We'll see......

Is that a thing that's happening?

Iraqgunz
08-22-13, 00:24
I believe that as long as Colt pays a royalty it is possible, but I am not lawyer so don't hold me to it.

Is that sarcasm? My understanding is that FN cannot sell M4/M16 copies to the public per the terms of their TDP lease from Colt.

one
08-22-13, 13:04
FNH released on their Facebook page today that the barrels are now shipping. They provided a pic of three barrels on their boxes for illustration.

10" and 14" for the 16S

13" for the 17S

Model #'s:

10" 98802
14" 98804
13" 98814

RHINOWSO
08-24-13, 13:02
They are popping up at Grab-a-gun, Gunbroker, and other sites. $1000-1500, depending on who's pedaling them.

Did a quick trip to the range yesterday, only shot 50rds of green tip through my 16 SBR, all suppressed. Still flawless with the Pitts Cut down and 1.85mm GCS.

Turnkey11
08-26-13, 14:59
Factory 14"....

http://imageshack.com/a/img585/5089/2i8s.jpg