PDA

View Full Version : Bullet jammed in Barrel. How to Remove?

bulldawg64
06-08-10, 21:12
Was out shooting my S&W M&P 15X today when I had a "slight" malfunction. A round failed to extract and the next round jammed it tightly into the chamber end of the barrel. Any one have any advice as to how I should try to get this round out? Thanks for your help.

ryan
06-08-10, 21:15
I read in one of Gotm4s posts he did it by filling the barrel with water then slowly pushing a one piece cleaning rod down the barrel (not using the rod itself but hydraulic pressure)

bulldawg64
06-08-10, 21:18
I read in one of Gotm4s posts he did it by filling the barrel with water then slowly pushing a one piece cleaning rod down the barrel (not using the rod itself but hydraulic pressure)

That sounds interesting. May have to give it a try tomorrow after work. Thanks.

FindCover
06-08-10, 21:22

Must have had a tight patch on the jag , rod alone is not tight enough to form a seal .

Take your cleaning rod , no jag , push 2 patches down the bore , pack them tight with the rod , start by dropping rod from half way up the bore , or tap with a small mallet . Should work , its not as jammed as you think it is .

If the case is still whole ya dont need the patches , they are to protect the thread on the cleaning rod . If the stuck round is fired , just do the rod drop or smack the rod .

ryan
06-08-10, 21:24
Should work as long as the case is intact, if its not u need a broken shell extractor (cheap insurance and should be in everyones range bag IMO). Im sure a more knowledgable member will be along shortly if I'm incorrect or there is a better way.

ryan
06-08-10, 21:25
Must have had a tight patch on the jag , rod alone is not tight enough to form a seal .

Take your cleaning rod , no jag , push 2 patches down the bore , pack them tight with the rod , start by dropping rod from half way up the bore , or tap with a small mallet . Should work , its not as jammed as you think it is .

Ah I knew I missed something

ALCOAR
06-08-10, 21:34
squib rod may help.

FindCover
06-08-10, 21:37
squib rod may help.

UHMMMM, FYI , thats for a pistol . ;)

OP , do we still have a head on the stuck case ???

GLOCKMASTER
06-09-10, 05:20
The last time I had this happen I used a penetrating oil instead of the water method. Fill the barrel with the penetrating oil and let it sit for a few hours. After soaking for a few hours the round came out with very little effort.

Robb Jensen
06-09-10, 05:56
The water method works on a very hot gun and stuck casing. The water cools the casing down and makes it contract. Stuck projectiles are another matter all together.

ALCOAR
06-09-10, 06:43
UHMMMM, FYI , thats for a pistol . ;)

OP , do we still have a head on the stuck case ???

LOL...your right...was not using my noodle:)

sewvacman
06-09-10, 07:35
Have you tried removing the mag and letting the bolt close on the shell, then either pull like hell on the ch handle or holding the ch handle and slamming the rifle on the ground with the but of the gun and allowing the extractor to do it's job. Penetrating oil will help this as well. Good thing no one was shooting back.

Icculus
06-09-10, 12:56
The topic says "bullet jammed in barrel" but the text says it was a failure to extract a round (I'm guessing spent casing). I'm confused.

So do/did you
1) have a spent casing that failed to eject and is stuck in the chamber and if so is the rim still intact
2) have a squib round and there is a bullet still lodged in the barrel or
3) do you have a round that failed to fire and still could possibly be live stuck in the chamber

Just thought it might be safer to clarify exactly what's going on first; especially if its #3

bulldawg64
06-09-10, 13:36
The topic says "bullet jammed in barrel" but the text says it was a failure to extract a round (I'm guessing spent casing). I'm confused.

So do/did you
1) have a spent casing that failed to eject and is stuck in the chamber and if so is the rim still intact
2) have a squib round and there is a bullet still lodged in the barrel or
3) do you have a round that failed to fire and still could possibly be live stuck in the chamber

Just thought it might be safer to clarify exactly what's going on first; especially if its #3

I understand the confusion. I can't tell if the round fired properly. I can see the bottom of a casing/bullet stuck in the barrel. There is a dent as if the firing pin made contact with the bullet. Last shot was a muffled thump instead of a full normal sound. Rim is indeed intact. I don't know what to use to grab the stuck round and pull it out. Used a pair of needle nose pliers, but I can't get a good grip. Tried using a cleaning rod from the other end, but it will not push the round out. I'm really frustrated, because I've had NO problems at all until this..... ARRRGGGG.

By the way, I appreciate all the ideas ya'll have shared. Keep them coming.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-09-10, 13:48
I understand the confusion. I can't tell if the round fired properly. I can see the bottom of a casing/bullet stuck in the barrel. There is a dent as if the firing pin made contact with the bullet. Last shot was a muffled thump instead of a full normal sound. Rim is indeed intact. I don't know what to use to grab the stuck round and pull it out. Used a pair of needle nose pliers, but I can't get a good grip. Tried using a cleaning rod from the other end, but it will not push the round out. I'm really frustrated, because I've had NO problems at all until this..... ARRRGGGG.

By the way, I appreciate all the ideas ya'll have shared. Keep them coming.

I'd use the charging handle and let the extractor pull the round out like normal.

And here's a bit of nomenclature:

Case: The brass casing
Bullet: The projectile itself
Round: A case, primer, powder, and round, all assembled properly

I don't wanna come off as a jerk, but like the other guy, I saw bullet and thought "squib?" Anyways, the point is that we all have to start somewhere, and I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

Something else, if you are concerned about a bullet in the barrel, when you drop the rod down the muzzle, measure the distance it goes in relative to the length of the barrel. If its coming up short (keep in mind you have to consider the size of the round itself) then you might have a stuck bullet. If it goes all the way, you have a stuck case, and if its pretty much there, but not to the bottom of the case, then odds are its a stuck round.

I'd really try using the charging handle if possible. And remember, when things get stuck, oil is our friend. :D

bkb0000
06-09-10, 13:48
http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cartridge_parts1.gif

"bullet" is one part of the cartridge... we don't know if it's a stuck bullet, stuck fired casing with no bullet, or stuck unfired cartridge

bulldawg64
06-09-10, 15:47
You guys are the greatest. I managed to get the "case" out with some help from penetrating oil as mentioned earlier. All this is still very new to me, so I again want to say thanks for the advice and the grammar lessons as well. :)

As a side note, what causes this kind of thing? I was using Silver Bear ammo 62 gr when it happened. I have run 100+ rounds of it through the gun before last night's episode.

bkb0000
06-09-10, 15:52
silver bear is really dirty... creates a thick, tacky sooth when firing. add to this the fact that steel cases (which silver bear is) don't expand and seal the chamber as well as brass, allowing that tacky soot to get into your chamber.

stuck cases are more common with steel cased ammo. it's just a hazard of using cheap ammo... don't have to stop using it, just make sure to scrub out your chamber after using it.

bulldawg64
06-09-10, 16:02
I guess it was a quick lesson learned. I have disassembled and cleaned this thing after every outing except this one. I told my son that I wanted to see if it would make any difference if I skipped one. I just made sure it was lubed and went at it. Strange that this happened so quickly.

Mac5.56
06-09-10, 16:12
BKB is right it is a reality of using steel that some times come up.

It is also a reality of your particular brand of firearm as I have the same company and this has been the only malfunction I have seen manifest in the rifle. Stick around this site and learn as much as you can, as some of what I am going to say may sound a bit confusing.

My SW had a tight chamber and I had this same malfunction with steel ammo. I actually returned my gun to SW and had them polish the chamber for me and make sure it was a true 5.56. They returned it within a week and I never had the problem again.

However one of the changes they did is they replaced the extractor spring, and put an o-ring on the spring making the extractor more effective. You can search this in the forums to learn more about it. This however resulted in me having the same problem (failure to extract) with cheap romanian brass ammo because the extractor ripped the lip of the casing completely off.

SW's guns according to this forum are over gassed meaning that the extraction process is more violent then it should be. I recently replaced my buffer with an H buffer (it's like a 20 dollar part) and haven't had any problems since.

Cheap ammo will cause malfunctions, but shouldn't put you out of action. Do some research on this forum and learn as much as you can about how your rifle functions.

Good luck, and don't be discouraged!

militarymoron
06-09-10, 16:15
one way to check to see if you have a bullet lodged in the barrel, an unfired stuck round, or stuck case is to carefully put a cleaning rod down the barrel to see how far it goes, then pull it out and compare it alongside the barrel. if it goes all the way back to the barrel extension, chances are good that it's just a stuck case and you can tap it out safely from the muzzle end.
of course, this is done while taking all common sense precautions.

DaBears_85
06-09-10, 21:07
So can this cause any damage to the inside of the barrel? Like the rifling for instance...