PDA

View Full Version : Buffer spring

tvfreakarms
07-06-10, 04:10
I bought my magpul moe stock at spikes tactical. It came with their st-t2 buffer and i guess a standard spring. My question is i happen to see these tubbs spring and super duty chrome silicon spring. Are they worth buying for my AR? Are they worth the extra money? I guess its suppose to last a long time and reduces recoil and what not. Any of you guys have any experience with these brand of spring or another type of spring?

Tubbs buffer spring (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok)

markm
07-06-10, 09:52
I just run the standard Colt SS action springs.

If you have a competition gun and want something special that's one thing, but for a regular AR, I don't mess with the nonsense.

MarkG
07-06-10, 11:47
Tubb is only in it for $$$. Another name trying to grab a piece of the pie and coming up with crumbs...

On his website, he claims that "a conventional buffer spring is constructed of music wire". It is? I happen to believe they are stainless steel.

Like the guy above said, use a Colt buffer spring and call it good.

Lucky Strike
07-06-10, 14:06
I've got a Sprinco chrome silicone blue (standard power) buffer spring.

The action of the rifle is notieably less abrupt compared to the stock spring. I also never have to worry about changing out the buffer spring. It only costs $20 so it seems like a good investment to me.

tvfreakarms
07-07-10, 14:47
20 bucks for a buffer spring way expensive. Is it really worth it? Do you notice any difference between the standard and the sprinco? What is the useful life on the sprinco?

I asked the same question on calguns.net and someone had this to say:
"Fine tuning of the buffer system could be a benefit, based solely on where your brass is landing. Best case scenario for an AR, is your brass should land between 3 and 4 o'clock, if the barrel is at 12 o'clock. If the brass lands farther forward than 3 o'clock, it is said to be over-gassed. If brass lands farther back than 4 o'clock, it is said to be under-gassed. Over-gassed can typically be adjusted with a heavier carrier, heavier buffer, or both. Under gassed can be adjusted by going to a lighter carrier (if using an M16 carrier), or a lighter buffer (if using anything heavier than 2.9oz). The Spikes ST-T2 is a heavier buffer FYI. Typically, a standard AR-15 type rifle, is over gassed because of the combination of light carrier and standard 2.9oz buffer. Buffer springs are probably the least researched area of the AR buffer system. Standard springs have a useful life, somewhere in the 3k to 9k round count area. This can be verified by measuring the rested length."

Thomas M-4
07-07-10, 15:24
The buffer spring on my LMT went weak knee at just over 2000 rounds it measured 10 1/8'' . I replaced it with a sprinco blue standard rate spring. So far I have 1000+ rounds since replacement and feels just they way it did new. SS spring was chosen for its corrosion resistance The CS springs have a longer consistent service life no more. I question the use of + power springs if it function reliable with the standard rate spring then I would not change to a higher rate. For buffers I use an H-buffer . I haven't tried the st2 buffer and really don't see much need for it when you can get an H-2 if I need it.

tvfreakarms
07-08-10, 04:01
i'm a newb so bare with me. How do you know if the spring is going bad???:confused::confused:

The buffer spring on my LMT went weak knee at just over 2000 rounds it measured 10 1/8'' . I replaced it with a sprinco blue standard rate spring. So far I have 1000+ rounds since replacement and feels just they way it did new. SS spring was chosen for its corrosion resistance The CS springs have a longer consistent service life no more. I question the use of + power springs if it function reliable with the standard rate spring then I would not change to a higher rate. For buffers I use an H-buffer . I haven't tried the st2 buffer and really don't see much need for it when you can get an H-2 if I need it.

Iraqgunz
07-08-10, 07:01
Springs are measured to determine if they are bad. A carbine spring should be between 10 1/16" and 11 1/4" IIRC.

i'm a newb so bare with me. How do you know if the spring is going bad???:confused::confused:

Belmont31R
07-08-10, 10:35
I have a Sprinco red spring, and it noticeably increased recoil. It has maybe 100rds on it, and off to the parts bin. Never tried a blue one. I tried another one a couple years ago (not sure on make) with a 6921 upper, and was getting lots of short stroking even with 556 ammo.

All my guns run Colt carbine springs, and although they do wear out Ive never had any function issues related to springs or "side effects" like the increased recoil that red spring caused.

dmancornell
07-08-10, 12:24
On a 16" barrel carbine length gas system, I needed the red spring + heavy buffer to slow down the bolt and prevent torn rims and FTE's. On all other configurations I suspect the red spring would cause short cycles.

jmart
07-08-10, 12:44
On a 16" barrel carbine length gas system, I needed the red spring + heavy buffer to slow down the bolt and prevent torn rims and FTE's. On all other configurations I suspect the red spring would cause short cycles.

Do you know the gas port diameter of your barrel? If not, who is the manufacturer?

dmancornell
07-08-10, 13:00
Do you know the gas port diameter of your barrel? If not, who is the manufacturer?

It is a Lilja barrel in the carbine length: http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/ar.htm

bkb0000
07-08-10, 13:07
I bought my magpul moe stock at spikes tactical. It came with their st-t2 buffer and i guess a standard spring. My question is i happen to see these tubbs spring and super duty chrome silicon spring. Are they worth buying for my AR? Are they worth the extra money? I guess its suppose to last a long time and reduces recoil and what not. Any of you guys have any experience with these brand of spring or another type of spring?

Tubbs buffer spring (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok)

unless you're having problems, there's no point messing with springs.

if you ARE having problems, experimenting with different springs and finding the right balance can be the difference between a gun that works and a gun that doesn't... so it's definitely "worth it," at that point.

Iraqgunz
07-11-10, 05:43
If you are having those types of issues, there is something wrong with your chamber. That shouldn't be happening.

Magic_Salad0892
07-11-10, 06:18
I have a Sprinco Red spring + Spikes buffer, on my 11.5 KAC (that was used on an LWRCi M6A3) that has run flawlessly. Reduced recoil by a bit. I love them.

I keep two spare reds, and two spare blues just in case.

I would only recommend them on SBR guns or suppressed rifles. If yours is both it'd be a must for me.