PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Extended Magwell

BravoCompanyUSA
07-27-06, 20:11
I was just browsing through the 1911 pics and noticed quite a bit of variation amongst fighting pistols.

Do you prefer extended magwells on your 1911 ? (if so what type?)
And Why ???

Which types of scenerios might they be a plus or minus ?

thanks in advance,
Paul

Aubrey
07-27-06, 20:52
I do not prefer an extended mag well for a concealed-carry pistol due to the extra length it adds to the frame grip. I suppose that for a LEO/Mil sidearm that will never be carried concealed it would be worthwhile to have one.

dubb-1
07-27-06, 23:19
The extra <1/4" of material doesn't effect concealment at all for me. However, until I trained with a gun with extended magwell, I didn't see much need for them. Truth is though, when the adrenalin is pumping, and you are fighting to keep from getting tunnel vision, something that aids in efficient, positive magazine changes is a good thing. Not necessary, but beneficial. I can operate just fine with out them, but there is a definite advantage to having them.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
07-28-06, 04:48
Definitley!

Like Dubbs said when your in the fight and Body Alarm Response kicks in and you loose all dexterity...every bit helps...
Its obviously a practical proven product.

I really like using Smith and Alexander wells they are solid, tight, and easy to blend.

rob_s
07-28-06, 15:02
I like them on non-concealed pistols but not so much for a carry gun. It may be psychological, it may be actual, but I think it effects concealability.

Quite frankly I think the modification that Chuck Rogers does to the rear of the standard magwell and mainspring housing is 10x more valuable.

VA_Dinger
07-28-06, 16:41
I strongly prefer extended magwells on all my 1911's. I have never noticed a single issue when using them on a CCW. In my opinion if you can hide a standard 5” 1911 effectively then the tiny additional length will not pose an issue.

I only have experience with Smith & Alexander, but the Caspian tactical version, Wilson Combat, and Mars Armament extended magwells all seem equally nice.

Lumpy196
07-30-06, 14:19
S&A is my choice on a gun that has one. If you can find a way to break or **** up an S&A, you're special.

I can live without a magwell, provided the grip panels actually meet the bottom of the frame, but they ARE nice.

SethB
07-30-06, 14:28
Get magazine base pads that are long enough to seat the mag. If you don't wring your kit out first, you may have serious problems caused by the magazine catch not properly engaging and the magazine going MIA.

BravoCompanyUSA
07-30-06, 16:58
Get magazine base pads that are long enough to seat the mag. If you don't wring your kit out first, you may have serious problems caused by the magazine catch not properly engaging and the magazine going MIA.

That was actually my next question :D
It would seem the size of the base pad would be an important feature if someone was using a extended magwell ?

SethB
07-30-06, 19:04
You will notice that a lot of the people that advocate mag wells use 10 rd. mags.

Rogers and others make a mag well that is the length of a standard frame. There is a wee bit of cutting and welding involved.

Novak base pads are bigger, and may work. I don't run one, I don't know.

I'd really like to try Ned Christiansens mag well modification. It is only apparent upon close inspection.

John_Wayne777
08-02-06, 15:33
I was just browsing through the 1911 pics and noticed quite a bit of variation amongst fighting pistols.

Do you prefer extended magwells on your 1911 ? (if so what type?)
And Why ???

Which types of scenerios might they be a plus or minus ?

thanks in advance,
Paul

My current carry gun doesn't have one.

A properly done mag-well is a very nice touch on a 1911, but frankly they aren't necessary. I can reload just as fast on a 1911 without a mag well as I can on one with a mag well. So long as the mag well has a decent bevel on it, you don't really "need" the extended well.

The best thing to do is try one out. If you find that it improves your reloads, then get one.

RSF45
08-12-06, 19:39
Paul
I recommend the S&A magwell. It's a one piece design, and you can get it a number of ways, flat, arched, slim line well, etc.
I built a pistol for IPSC (although I haven't shot a match yet) and liked the way it feels, so I put them on all my 1911's.
The S&A's are drop in too, no fitting necessary.

Evan_O
08-19-06, 20:17
Paul, I am by no means high speed, low drag. I have always used pistol's without a magwell. When Chuck worked over my duty pistol he put an S&A magwell on it. I was not sure if I was going to like it or not. I can say that I still prefer a pistol without one but after Chuck worked over that magwell it fit and felt so nice! I am also a little faster with the magwell than without. Maybe I should not say faster but there is less chance of missing a reload so to speak with the magwell on.
I would say try one for yourself and see what you think. With most it seems to be all or nothing on the magwell issue.

Stay safe and I think your product is top shelf!

M4Guru
08-20-06, 19:40
Motor skills suffer when adrenaline is pumping, and a mag well doubles your target for that mag.

I like S&A mag wells. I have sheared the Ed Brown models off at the screw and much prefer the 1PC S&A.

Boris
08-26-06, 09:58
I love the S&A one-piece flat mainspring housing on my IDPA/carry 1911 and agree with VA Dinger (forgive me if I'm crediting the wrong individual) that the extra weight/length on a full-size 1911 is negligible.

RSF45
09-04-06, 21:50
I like the "look" of a magwell on a 1911, but that's just me.
Granted, I'm not carrying (CCW) one either.
I prefer the S&A, I like the one piece design.