PDA

View Full Version : Ammo ID help

spelingmastir
09-02-10, 08:44
Moved to AMMO forum

spelingmastir
09-02-10, 08:47
I inherited some 5.56 ammo packaged in 20 round boxes. They are labeled "L3A1 5.56 BALL." Google didn't give me anything on this. Does anyone know what this is and/or have any experience with this? Thanks!

TOrrock
09-02-10, 08:52
It's British, probably Radway Green. Is there a RG on the back of he case?

Iraqgunz
09-02-10, 08:52
Are you sure it reads L3A1 and not L2A1? I am pretty sure that L3A1 is 7.62x51 ammo. Can you post pics of the packaging or headstamp? If it is L2A1 you may encounter some malfunctions with it when using a carbine. If you look in this forum you may run across a similar post.

spelingmastir
09-02-10, 09:28
Thanks for the replies! I may have misread the boxes but will send a picture tonight. It was just a whole bunch of 20 round boxes. I see that L2A1 is supposed to be an SS109 equivalent but there is no green tip on this stuff.

Safetyhit
09-02-10, 09:45
Are you sure it reads L3A1 and not L2A1? I am pretty sure that L3A1 is 7.62x51 ammo.

I know that Radway L2A2 is .308, but am only pretty sure that the L3A1 is indeed 5.56.

Also OP, the green tips are not always present on SS109.

Iraqgunz
09-02-10, 18:11
Either is the IMI stuff. If I recall correctly only the U.S puts the green on the M855 ammo.

Thanks for the replies! I may have misread the boxes but will send a picture tonight. It was just a whole bunch of 20 round boxes. I see that L2A1 is supposed to be an SS109 equivalent but there is no green tip on this stuff.

Iraqgunz
09-02-10, 18:26
It would appear that the designator isn't very reliable. I have also seen L2A2 ammo that was clearly marked on the can as 5.56.

I know that Radway L2A2 is .308, but am only pretty sure that the L3A1 is indeed 5.56.

Also OP, the green tips are not always present on SS109.

Safetyhit
09-02-10, 21:46
Either is the IMI stuff. If I recall correctly only the U.S puts the green on the M855 ammo.

Not to be your nemesis today, but I owned many a box of green tipped IMI over the years. In fact it is still my favorite (though not because of the green tip :)).

Radway also made a bunch of green tips, but there seems to be less of them available these days.

Iraqgunz
09-02-10, 22:00
No worries. It appears that it's hit or miss. The stuff being sold at Wideners and Scottsdale Gun Club is not marked.

All of the RG stuff I saw in Iraq was standard (no color).

Not to be your nemesis today, but I owned many a box of green tipped IMI over the years. In fact it is still my favorite (though not because of the green tip :)).

Radway also made a bunch of green tips, but there seems to be less of them available these days.

spelingmastir
09-03-10, 08:12
Here's the picture:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/spelingmastir/IMG00105.jpg

Safetyhit - What did you like about the green-tipped stuff?

Safetyhit
09-03-10, 10:40
Safetyhit - What did you like about the green-tipped stuff?

Boxed IMI M855 is/was one of the best of it's type available. I say "was" because I haven't seen a box for sale on Gunbroker in years.

While some disputed the claim, most that I talked to in depth about the rounds stated that they were first tier, non-reject ammo. Normally the boxed Winchester M855 available today is second tier ammo, having been rejected for what are normally very minor flaws or supposed storage issues. And the Radway stuff is just underpowered, so I have always avoided that.

To back the non-reject assertion up, none of the thousands of rounds that I owned or currently own of boxed IMI show the trademark wear and tear usually associated with second tier ammo. The green paint on the tips is pristine, not a scratch anywhere, no dings of any sort.

But the Winchester M855 is almost always the opposite. Often somewhat worn looking, especially the painted tips. Tarnished rounds and rounds with small dings are not uncommon. And I am talking boxed rounds, not bulk.

That said, however, the white box has always preformed well for me. Just that I have a little more faith in the IMI overall due to the factory new state of the rounds and the fact that not one ever had a FTF.

Lastly, I am not implying that M855 is my round of choice overall, as that title would go to my 5.56 TAP.

spelingmastir
09-03-10, 12:22
Wow. Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'll set this stuff aside as training ammo. I also got a bit of loose green-tipped M855. Aesthetically, it looks fine. We'll see how it performs.