PDA

View Full Version : Warning Against the RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller

dail621
10-05-10, 18:51
I have been using the RCBS Bullet Puller for about a year to fix the occasional hiccup when reloading 9mm and never had a problem.

Only recently -- about a hour ago -- did I ever try to use it to pull apart a 5.56mm. I reloaded about 400 5.56 rounds with a Lee Single Stage press (took quite some time) and had six rounds that I was not happy with. So I broke out the puller and began the process of breaking them down. First round came apart without much trouble, the second pretty much the same. Then came the third. Upon the 3rd hit the primer ignited and went off. Luckily for me it didn't ignite the powder.

Usually people would stop right there but I tend to be a bit stupid on occasion...

I thought it was a fluke, a faulty primer, nothing serious to worry about. So I continued. The fourth and fifth rounds came apart with out much excitement. Then on the sixth round and second strike it happened again, the primer exploded. Luckily for me again the powder didn't ignite.

Moral of this story is...

If something goes boom when you don't want it too. You probably should quit.

And, maybe people shouldn't use the RCBS Pow'r Puller when handling 5.56 rounds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=685703

chadbag
10-05-10, 19:20
Sounds to me like your primers were not seated all the way and the momentum is carrying them forward enough to have them go off.

Just thinking out loud.

I have used a very similar one to that one with 223/556 and never had an issue so I wonder what was happening with yours.

Btw, the one Dillon sells under their name is the same unit in Blue made for them by whoever makes the RCBS one.

caporider
10-05-10, 19:25
Yeah, I use a Hornady puller die. Those kinetic pullers are a pain in the ass. Glad you weren't hurt.

xrayoneone
10-05-10, 19:36
I've used one, of one manufacturer or another, for twenty years and have never experienced that. I've used it on everything from 22 Hornet up to .405 Winchester and nothing even came close to going off.

Obviously it can happen as it happened to you but I'm inclined to think there had to be something wrong with the primers. Not seated deep enough or faulty.

chadbag
10-05-10, 19:40
And why did not the powder go off?

dail621
10-05-10, 20:32
And why did not the powder go off?

I'm wondering the same thing... But, I'm happy it didnt.

The primers were Federal Match Small Rifle Primers and I've used them to load about 2k rounds without a single problem.

dail621
10-05-10, 20:35
...I'm inclined to think there had to be something wrong with the primers. Not seated deep enough or faulty.

That's what I am thinking as well. When I QC the rounds I noticed on those the primers appeared squished -- which is the reason I was going to break them down -- but it's odd because I use a hand primer where I can feel the primer being seated and they didn't feel any different than the rest.

Rmplstlskn
10-05-10, 21:43
Something don't add up...

Squished primers? Primers igniting but not igniting powder? Primers igniting in a kinetic puller that doesn't touch the primer?

Something more going on here that OP is not noticing...

Rmpl

dail621
10-05-10, 22:28
Something don't add up...

Squished primers? Primers igniting but not igniting powder? Primers igniting in a kinetic puller that doesn't touch the primer?

Something more going on here that OP is not noticing...

Rmpl

Maybe "squished" is a exaggeration. I noticed that they seemed to be seated lower than normal.

The primers blew out of the primer pocket when it went off.

As for the powder not going off, I still do not know how that happened. I fired 3 rounds from the lot to make sure they worked and they all did.

Im using 24.5 grains of IMR 4895, LC Brass, Barnes 62 gr bullets, and Federal Match Small Rifle Primers.

Maybe its just a 1 in a billion chance of happening and I got lucky twice. Either way, it scared me enough that I don't plan on using it for quite a while.