PDA

View Full Version : Help! What size Mechanix Gloves?

Travis B
01-26-11, 17:48
I'm ordering books for classes tonight and figured I would reward myself with a new pair of gloves. I looked at the sizing chart for Mechanix and saw that I'm right in the middle between a medium and large. My hands a skinny and I have fairly long fingers (longest finger is 3.5 inches). What size do you recommend me going with? I would just drive to the local auto parts store but my car is in the shop getting an oil change and I really need to place the order tonight.

Whootsinator
01-26-11, 18:03
Mechanix would probably have the best answer for you.

JC5611
01-26-11, 18:08
FWIW....I'd go medium.

Travis B
01-26-11, 18:18
Mechanix would probably have the best answer for you.

I didn't realize they're on the west coast. I seem to think everyone operates on EST :lol:

I talked to a customer service rep and she said to measure across my knuckles, which gives me a medium, and she said this would be the widest part of my hand (which it isn't for me). I'm just going to try a medium; maybe they'll stretch if needed.

Thanks for the fast response and advice, guys.

OutlawDon
01-26-11, 18:54
Go medium.

Lean towards the smaller size as it'll stretch. You'd rather have it tight, than loose with too much materal.

VolGrad
01-26-11, 19:22
Go medium.

Lean towards the smaller size as it'll stretch. You'd rather have it tight, than loose with too much materal.

This. I'm sort of in between sizes myself. The larger of the two sizes left too much material and I just wasn't comfortable with them. The smaller of the two sizes is a bit tight but I can run my guns with them.

As long as I don't wear them long enough my hands go to sleep I'm GtG. :p

Kentucky Cop
01-26-11, 19:32
This. I'm sort of in between sizes myself. The larger of the two sizes left too much material and I just wasn't comfortable with them. The smaller of the two sizes is a bit tight but I can run my guns with them.

As long as I don't wear them long enough my hands go to sleep I'm GtG. :p

Do what I did. Go to Lowes, find their Mechanix gloves, try them on and you will know your size.

KC

kartoffel
01-26-11, 21:20
If you get the kind of gloves with hard knuckle pads, stretching to fit may not be the best idea. I got a free pair of large size Blackhawk SOLAG's a while back, and while they fit my large+ size hands the built-in knuckle dusters do not line up at all with the actual width and shape of my knuckle joints. They fit fine otherwise, so no real complaints.

eo500
01-26-11, 22:23
Do what I did. Go to Lowes, find their Mechanix gloves, try them on and you will know your size.

KC

This is what I did, but make sure to try both sizes and the style that you are ordering. Also don't forget to calculate shipping into your costs as it might be cheaper for you to just get them at Lowes, AutoZone, PepBoys etc.

keeganxt
01-26-11, 22:32
I didn't see it mentioned here but they do make tactical varieties, maybe that's what you've already looked at. I have these and they're very nice.

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/image255.png

Whootsinator
01-26-11, 22:45
This thread DID just remind me that I need to hit the local Autozone so I have a pair of Mechanix gloves for a course this weekend.

CLHC
01-26-11, 22:56
When it comes to Mechanix Gloves, I always go (M) Medium. The gloves I constantly wore were the M-Pact 2 when I was a commercial painter. Did that for some five (5) years. In my sphere (read opinion), Mechanix are among the best gloves for the money. By the way, I tend to purchase Mechanix Gloves online and never at a B&M.

Enjoy!

Steve S.
01-26-11, 23:38
This thread DID just remind me that I need to hit the local Autozone so I have a pair of Mechanix gloves for a course this weekend.

advance auto has been running them for $15 - $20. Theres no consistency to the sale price but it seems to always be on. When they go to $15 we start stocking up at the shop.

Im with everyone else. Go medium. Extra material or extra long finger sleeves are terrible with shooting gloves.

Travis B
01-27-11, 07:33
I went with the medium M-Pact gloves in Coyote. I picked them up from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019IA1FQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&psc=1) for $25 shipped, and if you're a Prime member you can expect to see them in two days. I'll post my opinion of the sizing, overall feel, etc, when they get here.

CLHC
01-28-11, 01:05
The last Mechanix Glove I purchased (The Safety M-Pact ORHD) from said manufacturer, I also got an instant coupon for 50% off the next purchase. Don't know if this happens with every purchase from Mechanix's Online Store or if it's random.

rob_s
01-28-11, 05:35
Gloves and shoes are two things that, at least the first pair, are worth paying retail store prices for. I'm coming off a recent round-robin of sending shoes back 3 times and I've done the same with gloves in the past.

I'd definitely find what you're looking for in a store, try them on there, and buy them there. The price difference isn't going to be enough to make up for gloves that don't fit, or even worse that have a seam in some irritating location.

709bubblehead
01-28-11, 07:54
I've been using Mechanix gloves for years. With the first pair, I made the mistake of buying them in large, as that was the best fit when I tried them on. After wearing them for about a week or so, they stretched and got too big. I now buy them in medium. They're a little snug when they're new, but like a few guys have already mentioned, they'll stretch...

Travis B
01-28-11, 08:54
The last Mechanix Glove I purchased (The Safety M-Pact ORHD) from said manufacturer, I also got an instant coupon for 50% off the next purchase. Don't know if this happens with every purchase from Mechanix's Online Store or if it's random.

I think without the 50% off Amazon is still competitive with that price. That is a great promo deal though.

Travis B
01-31-11, 21:58
The gloves came in the mail today and they look great. The skeletonized back isn't nearly as outstanding as I was expecting. I'm actually typing with them on as we speak (to get used to the feel/dexterity/I feel like a internet warrior!). My only concerns are that the area between the fingers doesn't go all the way down to the skin between my fingers and the velcro closure feels like its trying to ride up my hand, instead of staying down where it's supposed to. The fit otherwise is great: not too tight that I feel I could lose a finger but not too loose to feel like it could fall off any second. Should I go a size up or just wait for them to break in?

Wow you really can type really well with these things!

Steve S.
01-31-11, 23:55
Gloves and shoes are two things that, at least the first pair, are worth paying retail store prices for. I'm coming off a recent round-robin of sending shoes back 3 times and I've done the same with gloves in the past.

I'd definitely find what you're looking for in a store, try them on there, and buy them there. The price difference isn't going to be enough to make up for gloves that don't fit, or even worse that have a seam in some irritating location.

Very very well said..

VolGrad
02-01-11, 06:29

Excellent advice on shoes & gloves.

Re: the Lowe's suggestion to try them on ... that works if you have normal sized hands. Most shops only stock the M, L, XL sizes. If you have really small or really large hands you will prob still have to gamble with an online order. That's what I had to do.

Moose-Knuckle
02-01-11, 18:29
I have two pair of Mechanix gloves, M-Pact Coyote and the original in subdued black. Both Mediums and fit like the pervibial glove.

orionz06
02-01-11, 22:37
I second (or third) the try on/buy local to establish size. One thing to note, most Autozones stock the "Covert" black in all sizes, I have not found a better deal yet.