PDA

View Full Version : LEM Install

Spiffums
02-05-11, 18:16
I got my LEM kit ordered and started looking around for stuff on line to help me install it. Then I thought.... I'm not the 1st cat to ride this train...... so what is your favorite site / you tube for working on the USP?

This is going into a HK USP 45.

willowofwisp
02-05-11, 18:21
I woudl check out Hk pro, I am pretty sure there was a detailed walk through on doing the LEM install.

Vlobb
02-05-11, 18:25
Here is a great thread from HKPro;

LEM Installation Instructions

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?63079-LEM-installation-instructions

Spiffums
02-05-11, 18:33
Sweet! Just what I was looking for. Thanks

Kevin P
02-05-11, 18:33
Go to HK pro and look in the HK reference library. There are some install instructions. Or just google it and it will show up like the first or second link. Also just to make it easier on yourself, give yourself a nice work area and just keep things in the order you take them off. The only tools you need are 1/16th punch, 3/32 punch and some needle nose pliers(although i did not need them). It is an easy install and straightforward.

You will hear some people often complain about detail stripping an HK, but you will see it is an easy process once you do it. Don't believe all the stuff you read on the internet. I think most people just say stuff because they read it and don't have any first hand knowledge.

(Seems like some others beat me to it)

one
02-05-11, 18:36
That's actually the instruction sheet that should come packaged with your LEM.

The trigger return spring is quite a bear to change out. I left the original in my USP45C and wound up with the 4-4.5 "Light" LEM trigger.

Life was much easier and I got a pull I liked better. I just ordered the components from HK direct this week to convert it into an LEM/Match hybrid trigger. I was curious to see what that's like.

Fedex notification says I should have the parts on the 8th.

mfrey
02-05-11, 20:04
I agree. Switching out the trigger return spring (TRS) is the most difficult part of the conversion. It is made much easier if you fabricate a tool to hold it securely and push it into place under tension while inserting the trigger axle.

You can so this fairly easily by filing/grinding a cylindrical recess into the end of a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Other than that, it is pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions provided at HKPRO.

Spiffums
02-06-11, 13:27
Good to know about the Trigger Return Spring. I was planning to try the light version 1st so it will be easiest on me to do.

dc202
02-07-11, 00:27
The first one I did took me a couple of hours (including breaks so that I did not lose my cool). The second I accomplished in about 15 minutes. The secret for me was putting a little TW-25 grease on the cocking piece, which helps hold the little spring in place.
The instructions on the HK Pro website are what I used, as well.

varoadking
02-07-11, 18:38
I just ordered the components from HK direct this week to convert it into an LEM/Match hybrid trigger.

Which parts are those?

one
02-07-11, 23:22
Let's see...

Match nickel leaf spring
Match Hammer spring
Match trigger
Trigger over travel stop

I think that was all besides the trigger return spring in the match kit. But they were confident that the spring I'm already running in it would yield similar results.

Bulldog7972
02-08-11, 08:44
Would these instructions apply to the P2000SK as well or is that different?

one
02-08-11, 14:00
I'm sure they will. Or at least be close enough that you can figure it out. The internals of the USP's, P2000's, P30's, HK45 series are all pretty much the same animal.

Though many times specific components won't interchange from gun to gun.

I think I saw on HKparts.com where the LEM kit shipping now is built for multiple guns.

varoadking
02-08-11, 16:58
Let's see...

Match nickel leaf spring
Match Hammer spring
Match trigger
Trigger over travel stop

I think that was all besides the trigger return spring in the match kit. But they were confident that the spring I'm already running in it would yield similar results.

Thanks...I have the Combat Competition action in my .40S&W LEM Expert and LEM HK45.

My P30 is just rigged as Light LEM mode, and the reset sux compared to the other two...

one
02-08-11, 18:33
Sure, anytime.

I've been using my HK45 in single action mode with a variant 9 plate to rid it of the decock option. I've been seriously considering trying it as an LEM but can't decide.

The thumb safety on the HKUSP45C sits directly in line with where I place my thumb on that side of the frame and with the safety gone and LEM on that gun it's nice to aim and hold. But on the full size HK45 it hasn't been a problem.

I should have a 45C in this week or next and am going to see how the safety feels on that one and make a decision to carry it either cocked and locked or try an LEM light in it.

I take it you're pretty happy with your LEM in the full size .45

ETA: I ordered the factory threaded barrel and an O ring from HKparts late Sunday night for the 45C and after talking to them the next day found out that I was 150th in line on having orders shipped out! They said business had seen a heavy increase after the Tucson nightmare.

Julian
02-09-11, 09:15
The needle nose pliers will hell a bunch. I made a oair by putting a carbide cutter in a drill press and held the pliers on the cutter until I had the rounded recess that I wanted. If you taper the outside of the pliersto make them more narrow, they will work better. I think they had them for sale at HK armorer school, but the instructor told us it was easier to make them and cheaper.
Use a small punch to keep things in line while you install the pins. In the rear group, use the punch to keep the parts pack in line beginning with the sear. This will make the pin insertion much easier.
Some models the hammer strut goes in from above before the hammer is installed and the newer models can be installed from the rear close to last.
To help get the Hammer strut in proper location, when it's close to right, keep pressure on the strut and work the hammer until it drops into the correct location. When it's correct, when you move the hammer, the strut will move in the downward direction.

varoadking
02-09-11, 16:36
I take it you're pretty happy with your LEM in the full size .45

Oh, yeah...it's one helluva piece...