PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on the right 1911 IWB Holster

jnr4817
04-01-11, 02:33
I am the new proud owner of a Sig 1911 C3. I saw this pistol for $750 at a local gun store with 2 mags, brand new. Couldnt resist, pics coming this weekend.

I currently EDC a Glock 26 in an IWB NTAC holster with 25* cant and a Glock 19 in an RCS with 0* cant.

This will be my first .45 caliber. I looking for a good IWB holster I have done some research and have narrowed down to 3 I like.

Crossbreed, Super Tuck Deluxe
Tucker Gun Leather, The Answer
Tauris, The Low Profile Holster

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

techoca
04-01-11, 05:55
A Milt Sparks Summer Special is an excellent choice; Brownells has them in stock usually so no waiting. I use a Horseshoe Leather IWB holster but there is a 2-3 month wait time. I do feel the wait is worth it.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9922/Product/SEMI_AUTO_SUMMER_SPECIAL_2

http://www.holsters.org/iwb-holsters.htm
techoca

jstephens202
04-01-11, 07:34
You might give Blade-Tech's "Nano" IWB holster a shot. I've used one for the last 3 years or so and it is my everyday holster. I've also got a Horseshoe Leather IWB for my Browning. Another one worth a shot is Leather Arsenal. But, to be honest, once I got my "Nano", I haven't used anything else....

stifled
04-01-11, 08:20
RCS makes 1911 holsters as well, if you like those. I just ordered 1 fullsize and 1 commander size holster during their 3 or 4 hour sale on the 1911's birthday.

I like my Pure Kustom holster quite a lot. They come rather tight, but work in after just a bit of time. The finish he does on the leather makes it very stiff and you don't need to worry about oiling it ever. He also does beautiful tooling if you want a fancy holster you can use OWB.

Pathfinder Ops
04-01-11, 10:33
This by Kramer Gun Leather:

http://tinyurl.com/3ta3zp4

It is hands down the best leather IWB I have ever used. I've had a few in my day and this one is giddy up. I carry a full frame, Kimber TLE RL II in it, full time.

Ranger325
04-01-11, 10:57
A Milt Sparks Summer Special is an excellent choice; Brownells has them in stock usually so no waiting.

Totally agree - I'm wearing mine now with my Baer TRS. I also use a couple of Sparks VMIIs (one is for a SIG Blackwater), but for me the Summer Special is more comfortable.
I also suggest Kirkpatrick Gunleather - I have their IWB for a commander size 1911 that works real well.
FWIW......................

DocGKR
04-01-11, 17:36
For 1911's, the Milt Sparks Heritage #1 is my favorite, followed by the Kramer IWB #2, and Alessi PCH.

FWIW, I'd stick with your G19 for CCW; it is easier to carry, has a larger round count, shoots better one handed, and is more reliable than a Sig 1911...

Irish
04-01-11, 17:40
This might help, I compared Brommeland, Sparks and Del Fatti here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=667546&postcount=36

jnr4817
04-01-11, 20:51
Thank you all for the responses.

DocGKR:Why will the Sig not be as reliable, I have read many great reviews? I really wanted to get a 1911 and found this deal. I am not giving up my Glocks, just trying something new.

I am wanting a holster for the .45 when I do plan on carrying it. The Glock 19 and 26 are my main carry guns and will probably always be. Again, just getting into the 1911 crowd and trying something new.

Thanks again,
Jason

Irish10
04-01-11, 21:10
My #1 choice for an IWB rig for all pistols is Mark Garrity's "Incognito Deluxe". Well built, slim and the suede backing sure makes all day carry comfortable even in 100+ temps.

rdc0000
04-01-11, 21:20
Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Very comfortable and I can conceal 1911 in a t-shirt with it and a beltman belt. It works.

Packman73
04-01-11, 22:16
(modified) Crossbreed Qwik Clip for me

DocGKR
04-02-11, 01:44
"Why will the Sig not be as reliable, I have read many great reviews? I really wanted to get a 1911 and found this deal."

First, if your Sig 1911 runs without any failures or malfunctions over several thousand rounds and you can rely on it to function without issues in demanding multi-day pistol classes--like a good 3rd gen 9 mm Glock, then please disregard everything that follows, as you have found a good pistol.

If this is just a range toy and you are not going to bet your life on it, also ignore everything I write.

Who are the people making those positive reviews--are they taking Sig 1911's to serious training events where they shoot thousands of rounds? Are they using the pistols on duty? Are they experienced shooters who actually know what they are discussing?

In general, 1911's work best in their original 5" steel-frame single-stack .45 ACP format; when deviating from that standard by using calibers other than .45 ACP and barrels shorter than 5", increasingly greater problems can be introduced. The Sig 1911 C3 differs from a true 1911 by using a shorter barrel, alloy frame, external extractor, and non-standard slide contour. Among other things, the Sig 1911's have had issues with mediocre triggers with improperly cut, overly shallow hammer hooks, along with MIM disconnectors and other parts that have had some breakages. Barrel bushings and barrel lugs have been poorly shaped resulting in excessive battering. Barrels have also been improperly contoured with resulting bushing interference. Since the slides are non-standard, holster fit has been more problematic.

As I have stated before, I firmly believe that if you want a 1911 for serious use, the minimum level of quality for a duty/carry weapon is the SA Pro model (either PC9111 or PC9111LR if you want a light rail); if you’re not willing to invest that much into the weapon system, don't get a 1911 for purposes where lives are at stake...

jnr4817
04-02-11, 02:05
Again thanks for everyones opinions.

DocGKR: Thank you for the education lesson. This was the exact info I was looking for. I will keep the Sig in the safe and use it for range sessions. Again my Glock 19,26 are my EDC and will probably always be. Any other good duty/carry starter 1911's besides the SA Pro Model. I prefer with no rail.

Jason

indawire
04-03-11, 22:32
My Sparks IWB was the constant companion for my Officers, Commanders and full size 1911"s.

ugapug
04-05-11, 11:03
Secret City Isotope 7. On par with Sparks without the 7 month wait.

STS
04-05-11, 11:22
Thank you all for the responses.

DocGKR:Why will the Sig not be as reliable, I have read many great reviews? I really wanted to get a 1911 and found this deal. I am not giving up my Glocks, just trying something new.

I am wanting a holster for the .45 when I do plan on carrying it. The Glock 19 and 26 are my main carry guns and will probably always be. Again, just getting into the 1911 crowd and trying something new.

Thanks again,
Jason

That is the problem with the internet, it is too easy to put crappy information out there. Most of these reviews are from hobby shooters who have bought a Sig 1911 and took it to the range the same day, and shot three mags through it. They are all pumped up about their new super cool 1911 and they want to gush about it online. They come home, write their review, and then shoot the gun once every 4-6 months and continue to say how great it has been over the long term.

There is enough high quality information available from respected professionals who know the 1911 platform inside and out that there should be no more confusion about what it considered GTG. You have to pay to play.

KaBar762
04-05-11, 17:28
I've been using a Milt Sparks VMII for over 3 years now. Great holster. I got it in horsehide to help with moisture resistance.

Most recently I started using a Raven Concealment Phantom LC IWB. I like it thus far but honestly haven't worn it enough to give a good review.

LHS
04-06-11, 00:26
Threat Solutions UCR.

I've been running these for almost a decade, with both a 1911 and a Beretta 92. They are the most comfortable IWB I've ever used.

TehLlama
04-06-11, 01:24
The short list includes the Sparks VM2 and SS, and the Kramer IWB, for good reason, and also explains why there's a big waiting list.

I like my RCS for what it is, but it's not that comfortable IWB, at least compared to the VMII.

theJanitor
04-08-11, 16:37
I recently picked up a UCR, and like LHS, i find it to be EXTREMELY comfortable. I absolutely hate kydex IWB, but this is incredibly comfy for all day wear.

Oh, and mine is for a G17/x300. ;)

punkkin
04-08-11, 16:54
I'm a big fan of the Milt Sparks VM2's

Jason F
04-08-11, 21:55
Another vote for the Milt Sparks VM2, I've worn one now for 7 or 8 years and it's great. Couldn't be happier- so happy that it was the only holster I recommended to my brother when he got his first 1911 at Christmas.

titsonritz
04-09-11, 00:27
Kramer #3

ptmccain
04-24-11, 14:28
I did quite a lot of research about this question and read, probably, hundreds of posts about it and after all the comments and reviews, I decided to invest in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe.

FWIW.

samuse
04-24-11, 18:13
I'm a big fan of the Milt Sparks VM2's

Great holster.

I have one for a 1911 and it does the job nicely.

I also have one for the fullsize Glocks, compact Glocks and Hi Powers.

I use a VM-II for everything, games included.

mike boufford
04-24-11, 20:37
There is a little known holster maker in Michigan who puts together a high quality Hermann Oak Leather based IWB holster for under $100 with shipping. Go to http://www.adamsholsters.com and take a look.

Luke Adams has built all of my holsters and my sons' holsters. I carry my Kimber Pro 1911's daily and I can tell you that the holster breaks in quickly, forms well, rides evenly on the belt and most of the time it feels like the weapon isn't even there because of the weight distribution. The grip is held tightly to the body so there is no issue with printing. I carried today with shirt tucked and wrapped around the holster. No one, including my wife knew I was carrying.

My carry belt will be coming in soon, and it's an Adams belt.

PatEgan
04-29-11, 00:45
I'm looking for something similar, but still haven't found any that will shield skin from the surface of textured grips, like Striders, VZs, etc.

Pat

Dinner Out
08-10-11, 13:19
Another guy you might want to check out for some great holsters is Kurtis Baker. He makes some very good quality holsters, comparable to the Crossbreed holsters, but cheaper in PRICE, NOT QUALITY. His service is extremely quick as well and will be ordering from him again (got one of his holsters for my S&W M&P9 and love it). Here is his website: http://www.shieldedholsters.com

Hope this helps

nolt
08-10-11, 21:20
I will echo the VM2 praise.
I've tried several similar designs but I have not found one that holds the grip in as close to my hip as the VM2 does... particularly once broken in.

The others I've tried have the rear loop spaced too far from the weapon actually. It would seem on casual consideration that this would provide 'stability' if you will... but what actually happens is that leather gets loose and bends more easily. When that area bends it allows the grip to stick out at a more tangent angle.

Super comfy and excellent draw. The ride height takes some people some time to get used to but its functional benefit is in the draw.

I admit it. I'm a VM2 fanboy.
I'll stop there.

amac
08-10-11, 21:47
Again thanks for everyones opinions.

DocGKR: Thank you for the education lesson. This was the exact info I was looking for. I will keep the Sig in the safe and use it for range sessions. Again my Glock 19,26 are my EDC and will probably always be. Any other good duty/carry starter 1911's besides the SA Pro Model. I prefer with no rail.

Jason

There are countless manufacturers of 1911's. As mentioned, to obtain a highly reliable, well made, tight fitting 1911, you will want to spend a little extra. There are always people willing to sell theirs for another "project". In my limited experience and hours upon hours of reading about 1911's, I've learned they can be finicky - especially lower end models. You may want to visit 1911forum.com and read up on some of the manufacturers. You will learn a lot.

Personally, I own a Dan Wesson Valor and since the break in, it's been flawless. I've run it hard in classes, 3gun, pistol comps and just hard range time. I'd put my life on it's reliability!

ambluemax
08-13-11, 22:36
I resisted the Crossbreed for a long time, being more a leather kind of guy, but I broke down and tried one. I absolutely love it, kicking myself for holding out so long. The are ugly and wierd looking, but it really is the most comfortable IWB I've tried (and I have a few!!)