PDA

View Full Version : Identify This BCG

Iraqgunz
04-05-11, 05:12
If anyone has seen a BCG like this before and know who makes it, please chime in. I am not 100% sure that the marking is a factory marking.

If you look closely at the stakings you will see that only one stake point is actually contacting the screw head (screw on right side).

I put little effort into turning it when it broke loose.

ZRH
04-05-11, 05:25
I know you arent 100% but TC = Toolcraft of Marion, NC They make carriers for a bunch of companies and some artillery parts.

ETA: At various times, Bushmaster, DPMS, FN MFG, Palmetto State from what I can find. As usual the QC exercised by the MFG is more important than who machined the part.

Iraqgunz
04-05-11, 05:56
I believe that Toolcraft marks theirs with a cage code on the side something like 1B10 or something.

I know you arent 100% but TC = Toolcraft of Marion, NC They make carriers for a bunch of companies and some artillery parts.

ETA: At various times, Bushmaster, DPMS, FN MFG, Palmetto State from what I can find. As usual the QC exercised by the MFG is more important than who machined the part.

Inkslinger
04-05-11, 06:36
Its am EMC. Einstien machine co. Jk, looks like phi symbol. It also looks like it might have been vibro-etched as opposed to stamped. If it's a TC symbol that may indicate nonalloy tool steel.

Robb Jensen
04-05-11, 07:15
I've seen several TC marked carriers in DPMS rifles.

Jimbo45
04-05-11, 07:26
My Toolcraft carrier has "1B1B6" cage code stamped on the side. Its staking looks good to go, compared to that.

Inkslinger
04-05-11, 08:21

Well, that makes sense. Does the TC stand for "total crap"?

bo-hoss
04-05-11, 08:34
TC= Toolcraft Marion,North Carolina

markm
04-05-11, 08:48
It's a Thompson Contender! :p

buckshot1220
04-05-11, 13:29

At least I'm not the only one who thought about making that joke.

@Iraqgunz- Is this one of the BCG's you were referencing to in the now 7-page "You can lead a horse to water, but..." thread?

Iraqgunz
04-05-11, 13:37
Yes it is.

At least I'm not the only one who thought about making that joke.

@Iraqgunz- Is this one of the BCG's you were referencing to in the now 7-page "You can lead a horse to water, but..." thread?

5pins
04-05-11, 13:58

That would explain the poor staking, they only make single shots.

Iraqgunz
04-05-11, 13:58
The bolt was marked D which is DPMS, so the rest makes sense.

Robb Jensen
04-05-11, 14:37
The bolt was marked D which is DPMS, so the rest makes sense.

If Tool Craft is making them for DPMS and others I'm wondering why they're marked with TC and not 1B1B6 (their CAGE code). Their CAGE code tells me that they likely passed the QC and standards for sale to the US Gov't for US military rifles. Maybe the ones that don't pass these standards are marked TC.

I have a Tool Craft made Fail Zero M16 carrier I'm using in my KAC SR15E3 and it's marked 1B1B6.

Iraqgunz
04-05-11, 14:41
I agree about the CAGE code. I actually saw some military issue weapons in A'stan that have those BCG's. The CAGE code was clearly marked on the side.

If Tool Craft is making them for DPMS and others I'm wondering why they're marked with TC and not 1B1B6 (their CAGE code). Their CAGE code tells me that they likely passed the QC and standards for sale to the US Gov't for US military rifles. Maybe the ones that don't pass these standards are marked TC.

I have a Tool Craft made Fail Zero M16 carrier I'm using in my KAC SR15E3 and it's marked 1B1B6.

Cagemonkey
04-05-11, 14:45
A little off subject. I got a BCG I got from Grant that had the marked ground off. Outside in bright daylight, the original F mark can be seen. Is it correct to assume that F stands for FN Mfg?

kaltesherz
04-05-11, 16:18
A little off subject. I got a BCG I got from Grant that had the marked ground off. Outside in bright daylight, the original F mark can be seen. Is it correct to assume that F stands for FN Mfg?

I've seen USGI bolt carriers marked "FN", never just "F". Could be the "N" portion was too ground off to see.

warpigM-4
04-05-11, 16:44
I was at a gun show and saw one guy that was selling FN Barrels(Maybe 4) and BCG the BCGs did have Most of the FN ground off .But you could make out the FN and some of them you could only make out one of the letters.

bo-hoss
04-05-11, 17:07
Toolcraft received a 5 year contract in 2007 to supply 700,000+ bolt carriers to the military. They also supplied Freedom Group companies (Bushmaster and DPMS) with their bolt carriers, as well as carriers for piston gun mfgs. I have several of their carriers on a shelf in my office with "TC" or "1B1B6" marked on them. They have recently auctioned off all of their mfg. equipment and appear to have closed up shop. The Toolcraft website is no longer up and this is the information on their auction: http://thompsonauctioneers.com/Toolcraft-of-North-Carolina-a151854.php

Maybe the cage code marked carriers were from the military contract and the TC carriers were for the other markets?????

Cagemonkey
04-05-11, 17:08
I've seen USGI bolt carriers marked "FN", never just "F". Could be the "N" portion was too ground off to see.Pretty sure its just an F. No biggie, I was just wondering. I'll double check.

5pins
04-05-11, 19:29

I had one where someone did a bad job grinding it it off and you could make out a C.

Cagemonkey
04-05-11, 19:38
I double checked and its a single F thats visible up through the ground out part on the left side of the bolt carrier.

logan09
04-05-11, 20:45
I double checked and its a single F thats visible up through the ground out part on the left side of the bolt carrier.

Look on page 2. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=349273

Cagemonkey
04-05-11, 20:54
Look on page 2. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=349273Thanks for the link/answer.

BufordTJustice
04-05-11, 23:58

+1

The last two DPMS rifles I saw were .223 'sporticals' (what a gay name...)....and they both had this marking on their BC. I have no idea who makes it though

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-11, 11:55

My FailZero carrier (That I'm using in one of my KAC guns) has this marking as well.

Thanks for helping me figure out who made it.

Dump1567
04-06-11, 16:08
Glad I found this thread.

Just got a complete DD upper from PK Firearms. The carrier has a similar grind mark and it was poorly staked. Bolt was marked CM, but no MP markings (as it was originally advertised to be).

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. Swapped if out for a DD's and am trying to send it back to PK.

I'll look a little closer to see if it has any marks. I didn't relies it was grinded on purpose, just thought it was shotty workmanship.

ctrmass
04-08-11, 11:40
I have a couple tool crafters (1b1b6) bolt carriers here in front of me.
The TC marked carrier looks like the same. Staking and all.

.45fmjoe
04-08-11, 16:36
It wouldn't surprise me if DPMS orders them at a cheaper price point by cutting corners in production and to distinguish between a "mil-spec" and a DPMS shit-spec carrier they mark them differently.

polymorpheous
04-08-11, 17:10

Bolt was marked CM, but no MP markings (as it was originally advertised to be).

Ordering a bolt from Bravo and they come with this marking (CM). They also are marked MP.

CM is Continental Machine and Tool, if I remember correctly.

lt211
04-08-11, 19:52
I have seen those TC marked Bolt Carriers in the past and both came out of Bushmasters. I was told from a very knowledgeable friend who has been a collector and gun dealer (two Stores on the east coast) that the TC was from "Thompson Center". http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/bushmaster-and-thompsoncenter-arms-factories-to-close/

"According to Thompson/Center's Web site, the company started in 1965 when K.W. Thompson Tool was looking for a product to build and gun designer Warren Center wanted a company to make his Contender pistol. Thompson/Center Arms was born, and the company became part of Smith & Wesson in 2007".
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101210/GJNEWS_01/712109872&template=RochesterRegion

Dump1567
04-15-11, 15:26

Just got a complete DD upper from PK Firearms. The carrier has a similar grind mark and it was poorly staked. Bolt was marked CM, but no MP markings (as it was originally advertised to be).

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. Swapped if out for a DD's and am trying to send it back to PK.

I'll look a little closer to see if it has any marks. I didn't relies it was grinded on purpose, just thought it was shotty workmanship.

Quick update for future searches:

Spoke to John at PK. Stated the Bolt Carrier were scrubbed Colts and originally had a C (couldn't find any signs of a C). He could not account for the poor staking (I took care of this on my own).

He swapped me a new MP marked bolt in a prompt manner (along with a few goodies for my trouble). He actually wanted the whole upper to make sure the new bolt was properly headspaced. I told him I could take care of that. The new bolt actually matches the carrier in color perfectly. And the MP marking looks identical to the one on my BCM bolt.

I know sometimes mistakes are made, and I was very impressed with PK and how they handled this. They'll remain on my list of GTG for future orders.