PDA

View Full Version : Froglube

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

WS6
02-01-12, 05:31
Well, lot less carbon on the bolt-tail this go around. Also, I shot another video for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNAYT9ijJc&feature=youtu.be

Watch the pennies closely in 720HD.

I was surprised to say the least.

garret459
02-01-12, 14:20
I have a question for applying froglube.
Just picked up a new Gen 4 21 for the boy DO I strip down the gun and apply or leave the brown stuff glock has on there and apply the froglube over it?
Thanks

markm
02-01-12, 14:22
I have a question for applying froglube.
Just picked up a new Gen 4 21 for the boy DO I strip down the gun and apply or leave the brown stuff glock has on there and apply the froglube over it?
Thanks

I shoot with the OEM copper colored stuff in it first. Then switch over to Frogness.

garret459
02-01-12, 14:25
I shoot with the OEM copper colored stuff in it first. Then switch over to Frogness.

Sounds good to me but if I may ask a reason for that?

Thanks for the help!

OH BTW do the gen 3 Mags work in the gen4? I have not gotten home yet to ck it.

markm
02-01-12, 14:30

Not really.... just a hunch that the factory put it there for a reason.

Not sure on the mags. I'm all Gen 3.

DBR
02-01-12, 16:12
Glock used to say to leave the copper anti-seize on the gun and let it wear off. No other lube until it was pretty much gone. They said it helped to mate the rails to the slide and make the parts wear better.

skullworks
02-01-12, 17:19
We used to rep Glock over here, and our recommendation was to leave the factory copper grease on until it was gone.

Oh, and the little hole underneath the slide - NOT a lube point. ;)

espnazi
02-01-12, 18:15
Intresting video of Costa talking about Frog lube.

http://youtu.be/58NYDmLxK9I

markm
02-01-12, 19:42
Intresting video of Costa talking about Frog lube.

http://youtu.be/58NYDmLxK9I

I have to admit... i've converted several guns to froglube now. Pappabear bought a half gallon of it, and poured me a bottle.

Tzoid
02-01-12, 20:10
Wow.... I have never used FrogLube but after the Costa Youtube video was posted it seems like the Haters stopped Hating:sarcastic:

bajavader
02-01-12, 20:32

Thanks for the help!

All previous gen mags should work in a gen 4, provided the mag release is kept on the left side.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

WS6
02-01-12, 20:38
Wow.... I have never used FrogLube but after the Costa Youtube video was posted it seems like the Haters stopped Hating:sarcastic:

I stopped hating after I used it a while, performed a bunch of junk-science tests on it, and discovered for MYSELF that it's G2G. The Costa video is just self-validation at this point for me. Other than that, I got a kick out of him saying "minty-fresh" and "delightful" while holding a weapon all dressed out in UnderArmor.

skittles
02-02-12, 00:14
I like Froglube and so does my dog.

Preliator
02-02-12, 11:05
So I left my cleaning kit out in my work car for about 2 weeks straight in -10 to -25 degree weather. I went to the range yesterday to shoot and when I was done I wiped down my glock and reached for my froglube to re-lube it. Much to my dismay when I opened the tub of paste it was frozen pretty hard! I was able to get some of the stuff from around the edges off, and as soon as it was free from the big frozen mass it immediately softened up to normal consistancy.

I also noticed that the liquid Froglube appeared to be frozen solid as well!! My first thought was "well I guess I found the fatal flaw, time to go back to M Pro 7". I decided to give it a try any way, I squeezed the bottle, and to my delight the liquid came out like toothpaste. I tried to get my phone out to document, but in that short time the little bit I had squeezed out had already liquified.

The consitancy of the frozen liquid lube at -15 degrees is softer than the paste is at 68 degrees, which to me means still usable.

I am now pretty thouroughly convinced that FL is good to go at all but the most extreme (-40 and below) weather conditions, and that is only because I have yet to use it in temps that low.

Bottom line: at -15 degrees F the paste is still usable with a bit of work and the liquid is usable right out of the bottle.

tonyxcom
02-02-12, 12:23
Get ready for Froglube to start flying off the shelves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NYDmLxK9I

OldGreg
02-02-12, 12:56
Uh oh. Here comes indefinite back-order status.

Egret18
02-02-12, 14:36
Uh oh. Here comes indefinite back-order status.

Better order some now!

KiloXray
02-04-12, 13:52
Quick question for those of you who are using FL on pistols:

Are you dunking the entire slide? I've seen where folks have talked about doing the application with a crockpot or other warming device. What all exactly gets "dipped"? If you ARE dipping the slide, would this be problematic with Tritium night sights at all?

Also, how are you applying this stuff to the chamber and barrel of the AR?

Thx,
KX

iGun
02-04-12, 14:22
KX--I've only been using the Frog on my ARs and gas operated shotgun. I use my fingers, a patch, and a Q-tip to apply the paste. Then I take my wife's big hair drier and heat it up until it flows. Then I Boresnake the barrel and that's that.

Ty_B
02-04-12, 14:38

Are you dunking the entire slide? I've seen where folks have talked about doing the application with a crockpot or other warming device. What all exactly gets "dipped"? If you ARE dipping the slide, would this be problematic with Tritium night sights at all?

Thx,
KX

I've been using the paste on my M&P. I just get some on my fingers and put it where I want it. No problems so far, but the coldest it's been is about 30F.

Why do you want to dip your entire slide? Seems a little excessive.

KiloXray
02-04-12, 14:57
I've been using the paste on my M&P. I just get some on my fingers and put it where I want it. No problems so far, but the coldest it's been is about 30F.

Why do you want to dip your entire slide? Seems a little excessive.

LOL, I don't neccesarily. Dont get me wrong, I wipe my pistol slides with gunzilla right now. So I was thinking that if FL is supposed to be stand alone, how does the slide get any protection?

I saw this pic elsewhere on the net, and it looks like EVERY piece of the pistol went in the "dip". I am not a member of that forum so I can't ask that dude about it.

ETA: Also, why would I use the liquid at all? Why would one not strictly stick with the paste, since it liquifies and returns to paste?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uwnYthsjjVs/Tkvu84MaKiI/AAAAAAAAAOI/bJoN0L-5_Yo/s800/yes%252520I%252520m%252520insane%252520I%252520detail-stripped%252520the%252520firearm%252520to%252520ap.jpg

Iraq Ninja
02-04-12, 16:03
I talked with the Frog Lube and SEAL 1 folks at the SHOT show.

Here is what I was told...

The inventor of Frog Lube also invented SEAL 1. He says SEAL 1 is an improved version.

We are testing both lubes and they do seem very similar.

We were told to use the SEAL 1 paste in a crock pot to melt it, and then soak the weapon parts in it. It seems to have a paraffin feel to it when solid. The soaking did a good job of cleaning the gun parts, but we haven't shot em enough to see how it lubricates.

My question is since both come from the same inventor, why should someone use FL over SEAL 1?

eternal24k
02-04-12, 16:30
I talked with the Frog Lube and SEAL 1 folks at the SHOT show.

Here is what I was told...

The inventor of Frog Lube also invented SEAL 1. He says SEAL 1 is an improved version.

We are testing both lubes and they do seem very similar.

We were told to use the SEAL 1 paste in a crock pot to melt it, and then soak the weapon parts in it. It seems to have a paraffin feel to it when solid. The soaking did a good job of cleaning the gun parts, but we haven't shot em enough to see how it lubricates.

My question is since both come from the same inventor, why should someone use FL over SEAL 1?

and why sell them under different names w/ different websites?

WS6
02-04-12, 17:44
and why sell them under different names w/ different websites?

Why say a different SEAL invented each one, on those websites.

I can agree that FL is doing what it is claimed to do, but there is still something completely dishonest going on with the marketing in my opinion.

I don't know who invented what, but I DO know Trillium Solutions and Scott Lee are behind everything if you get down to the nitty gritty of it. Government product certification paperwork for the USDA does not lie.

I don't know exactly what's going on, but it really looks like Scott Lee is using SEALS to market products that he makes. So far, though, they seem to be good products as far as I can tell after playing with the stuff.

Exactly what is improved about SEAL-1 vs. FL?

Don't tell me that by the time I finally get on board with the stuff after all of you poo-poo all over my logic that you bring up the same crap I did months before you worried about it, lol

tb-av
02-04-12, 18:11
WS6,, don't tell anyone but I hear they are in cahoots with those Keebler elves.

WS6
02-04-12, 18:21
WS6,, don't tell anyone but I hear they are in cahoots with those Keebler elves.

Scott Lee is the driving force behind both, it's no secret. I don't care because the stuff does work, but anyone who thinks a SEAL devloped this stuff rather than the bio-chemical company that makes it, and has been making it for years, I've got some Montana ocean-front property for you...

Col_Crocs
02-04-12, 18:24
That's interesting... It does seem fishy...
In any case, IraqNinja, aside from the difference in paste consistency, what other initial similarities and dissimilarities have you noticed?
Keep us posted on your tests... Looking forward to seeing your results.

OldGreg
02-04-12, 23:03

KX

I use a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight. I also have an older 'garage-sale' toaster oven near my workbench. I used that to heat all of my pistol barrels & AR BCG after stripping them of other lube before the first application of FL. Heatgun on all the rest, the AR upper & chamber, pistols fire control group, and slide.

The heat gun worked the fastest, for sure, and i used a few cheap walmart hobby type paintbrushes to apply the paste. I inadvertently melted a few of the brush bristles while working the heat gun, lol.

Tzoid
02-05-12, 14:31
Don't get me wrong I see from all the praising of FL it's a good product but really??? Crock Pots ???

How did you guys ever live without this product and were your guns filthy gunked up junk with the shitty products available before this wonder product was invented? :no:

When do they announce going public? :D

Littlelebowski
02-05-12, 14:40
Don't get me wrong I see from all the praising of FL it's a good product but really??? Crock Pots ???

How did you guys ever live without this product and were your guns filthy gunked up junk with the shitty products available before this wonder product was invented? :no:

It's another resource in the toolbox, man. It works very well and you don't need a crockpot. I might buy some for your illustrious cousin to use.

Tzoid
02-05-12, 15:06
I need to see my cousin and get my Trust completed so I can get the ball rolling on my 2012 goal to start shooting as quiet as possible.:secret:

mercop
02-05-12, 16:13
I cleaned the slide of my G19 and bolt of my M4 and then put them in the oven to heat them up a bit. Just hot enough that they were too hot to handle. Took them out and worked in the paste in with my fingers. For the rest of the guns parts I just heated it up with the wife's hair dryer.

Consequently when my 15 year old daughter asked me what I was doing I told here I was trying some new stuff on my guns that was all natural and had her sniff the jar. She said "minty" and said I should taste it so I did..."minty"

Tzoid
02-05-12, 17:03
Hey Mercop..... what does that douchebag Clandestine think about Froglube? I think he likes Mobile 1 :big_boss::sarcastic::sarcastic:

Iraq Ninja
02-05-12, 22:25

Crock pots may be the Holy Grail of lubrication. I will use anything that helps me get a Failure Free ****in Firearm. :)

Tzoid
02-05-12, 23:02
Crock pots may be the Holy Grail of lubrication. I will use anything that helps me get a Failure Free ****in Firearm. :)

Mine seem to work great without cooking my BCG & Slide in the oven or the Crock pot.:D

Years ago I remember Militec -1 being the hot lick.

WS6
02-05-12, 23:14
Mine seem to work great without cooking my BCG & Slide in the oven or the Crock pot.:D

Years ago I remember Militec -1 being the hot lick.

Froglube seems to actually work, though. I wanted to hate it because of the shady marketing, but damned if it doesn't work.

Ninja...any word on SEAL-1 vs. Froglube? Why is Scott Lee openly seen with the seal 1 team and avoiding froglube it seems?

markm
02-06-12, 07:17
We ran the piss out of my beater carbine this weekend. We were trying out the SF 60 round mag. That froglube worked like a champ... with the silencer on and everything.

WS6
02-06-12, 07:24
We ran the piss out of my beater carbine this weekend. We were trying out the SF 60 round mag. That froglube worked like a champ... with the silencer on and everything.

Nice! Now I wish the sf mag fit my noveske :(

skullworks
02-07-12, 13:55
Nice! Now I wish the sf mag fit my noveske :(
Froglube it!

Shoot 1st
02-07-12, 14:16
Need gallon sized containers of FL please.

tonyxcom
02-07-12, 16:12
The last bottle of the stuff I got from Botach had some undissolved particles floating in it. Not sure what it is. It looks like fine sand but it isn't hard or gritty. And it doesn't melt with heat. The color of the fluid was a little different than my first bottle too.

The stuff still works, but wonder if that was part of the formula change.

Tzoid
02-07-12, 16:44
This thread is starting to sound like a NASCAR winners circle sponsor endorsement...... I picture Ricky Bobby with a tub of Frog Lube in one hand and a bottle of Gatorade in the other......you fill in what he's saying..:jester:

WS6
02-07-12, 16:46
This thread is starting to sound like a NASCAR winners circle sponsor endorsement...... I picture Ricky Bobby with a tub of Frog Lube in one hand and a bottle of Gatorade in the other......you fill in what he's saying..:jester:
Meh.
I messed with the stuff. I like it. No fan-boy mentality here. Just calling it how I see it.

Tzoid
02-07-12, 16:50
I believe the hype....It's just funny and familiar... Like Bass Fisherman endorsing a bait company. Hell I'll try it.

StrikerFired
02-07-12, 18:36
I have really liked it in my M&P 15TS, when it's cold the FL looks like a thick paste on the bcg. Run a few rounds through it and the stuff is liquid and it just keeps running. I've pulled the bcg out of the upper and don't see any abnormal wear so we will see what happens. I'm planning on running this AR in some ACTS matches this year as well as the NPRC here in Michigan.

SeriousStudent
02-07-12, 22:02

I found something that I think will work very well, in that regard. A 1.5 quart crockpot with a removable crock for $12.

It has the high, low and warm settings. I'm treating one of my carry G19's this weekend.

WS6
02-07-12, 22:35
I found something that I think will work very well, in that regard. A 1.5 quart crockpot with a removable crock for $12.

It has the high, low and warm settings. I'm treating one of my carry G19's this weekend.

Why not just any old container in your oven at 175*F? Container can be tuperware at that temp, match the size/shape of the part(s) close enough to minimize use of that expensive stuff.

loganp0916
02-07-12, 22:59

It was Powerade.....lol

SeriousStudent
02-07-12, 23:09
Why not just any old container in your oven at 175*F? Container can be tuperware at that temp, match the size/shape of the part(s) close enough to minimize use of that expensive stuff.

Because I already had it, and it's cheaper to run than my oven.

loganp0916
02-07-12, 23:14
What is the difference between the liquid and the paste? I mean, I know what a liquid is and what a paste is but what is better? And why do you guys heat it?

WS6
02-07-12, 23:16
Because I already had it, and it's cheaper to run than my oven.

Gotcha, I was referring to people who are actually buying crock-pots.

How much does it cost to run your oven at 175* for an hour? I never calculated that.

WS6
02-07-12, 23:18
What is the difference between the liquid and the paste? I mean, I know what a liquid is and what a paste is but what is better? And why do you guys heat it?

Because it allows the product to seep into the pores of the metal. I know this may sound like a load of crap, but ask any chef and they will tell you that to truly clean a greased/seasoned pan, you need HOT water to head and open the pores so that the the "seasoning" can be washed out of the pores of the metal. Same for seasoning the pan in reverse. Or, in this case, a BCG.

ClearedHot
02-07-12, 23:20
I'm also wondering which Froglube is better to run on a hard use carbine? The paste or the liquid?

I'm guessing the paste might be more optimal for lubrication, and the liquid better for cleaning?

loganp0916
02-07-12, 23:42
Because it allows the product to seep into the pores of the metal. I know this may sound like a load of crap, but ask any chef and they will tell you that to truly clean a greased/seasoned pan, you need HOT water to head and open the pores so that the the "seasoning" can be washed out of the pores of the metal. Same for seasoning the pan in reverse. Or, in this case, a BCG.

Thank you. Do you use the paste or liquid?

WS6
02-07-12, 23:52
Thank you. Do you use the paste or liquid?

I use the paste.

Col_Crocs
02-08-12, 05:53
I'm also wondering which Froglube is better to run on a hard use carbine? The paste or the liquid?

I'm guessing the paste might be more optimal for lubrication, and the liquid better for cleaning?

Well... Yes and no. Yes on the liquid being a better cleaner for the most part and no in that they both have the same consistency when hot. I suppose you could do away with the liquid but will have to heat your parts to get the all the gunk off.

jmart
02-08-12, 06:05

The point is not to wash the seasoning out, it's to open the pores to allow the seasoning to penetrate the pores. You never want to wash away the seasoning, in fact reapplications just further apply, or top off, the seasoning.

The idea is to treat the clean metal surfaces the first time, and then create a seasoning layer. When the gun gets fouled, get it warm, allow the FL to penetrate/lift/disolve, and then wipe off. When it's "clean enough" you are GTG, or if you are truly anal, re-heat and apply a 2nd application of FL to top off the seasoning.

WS6
02-08-12, 06:59
The point is not to wash the seasoning out, it's to open the pores to allow the seasoning to penetrate the pores. You never want to wash away the seasoning, in fact reapplications just further apply, or top off, the seasoning. I meant the example of hot water/a chef to back Froglube's claim that it "gets in the pores". Every chef you meet will tell you this, yet so many people cry foul.

The idea is to treat the clean metal surfaces the first time, and then create a seasoning layer. When the gun gets fouled, get it warm, allow the FL to penetrate/lift/disolve, and then wipe off. When it's "clean enough" you are GTG, or if you are truly anal, re-heat and apply a 2nd application of FL to top off the seasoning.

I always re-heat the part to the 175 before the wipe-down.

WS6
02-08-12, 07:01
Well... Yes and no. Yes on the liquid being a better cleaner for the most part and no in that they both have the same consistency when hot. I suppose you could do away with the liquid but will have to heat your parts to get the all the gunk off.

Chemically, or because it is liquid at room temp? I clean with the paste normally. Time for change?

krichbaum
02-08-12, 10:42
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I use the paste for the first treatment of parts because it's easy to brush onto the surface and spread around. That's *if* you're heating the parts up for this. Other than that, I prefer to use the liquid...for either cleaning or lubing.

tonyxcom
02-08-12, 11:12
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I use the paste for the first treatment of parts because it's easy to brush onto the surface and spread around. That's *if* you're heating the parts up for this. Other than that, I prefer to use the liquid...for either cleaning or lubing.

I'm the same. First time everything gets warmed with a heat gun and the paste is applied. I let it cool for an hour or so then gently smooth/wipe the paste with the cloth then apply the liquid as you would any lube.

Preliator
02-08-12, 15:36
Seems to run fine on the 6920 and the G22/23. I think I am out of really cold days this winter. But the FL paste and liquid both seem fine down to about -15 F, but the liquid is easier to apply at temps below -20 F. I am curious about this "SEAL 1" stuff.

Ratfink
02-08-12, 16:19
I just got some paste and lube in with a brush and cloth. Did one of my rifles and my P226 used a hair dryer and the oven. Going shooting tommorow ill post here about what i think about it.

Col_Crocs
02-08-12, 19:38
Chemically, or because it is liquid at room temp? I clean with the paste normally. Time for change?

Just because it's liquid at room temp. I dont heat my parts when cleaning... only when lubing, for which I use the paste. I let it melt, spread it and re-assemble. I dont wipe dry like the instructions say.

For new users or anyone looking to try the product... I think any method and either variant, is GTG. I wouldnt dwell too much on the differences both work the same.

WS6
02-11-12, 17:36
http://i41.tinypic.com/fo2az4.jpg
Froglube Paste: 0.5766mm
CLP: 0.8mm
Slip2000: 0.56mm

Gargoyle
02-11-12, 18:05
Ox Yoke Wonderlube for black powder patch lube smells minty, is a paste that turns to liquid when heated, "seasons" the metal, non-petroleum...same concept?

WS6
02-11-12, 18:16
Ox Yoke Wonderlube for black powder patch lube smells minty, is a paste that turns to liquid when heated, "seasons" the metal, non-petroleum...same concept?

My Z06 uses the same "concept" as a 1980's mustang 5.0: V8 in a light RWD platform. In execution, and performance they vary slightly, though. Any data on this Ox Yoke Wonderlube?

Gargoyle
02-11-12, 19:04
My Z06 uses the same "concept" as a 1980's mustang 5.0: V8 in a light RWD platform. In execution, and performance they vary slightly, though. Any data on this Ox Yoke Wonderlube?

Ox Yoke Wonderlube 1000. MSDS didn't list much at all. Not sure how to get the ingredient list to compare. Guess one would just have to compare the two side by side with some home experimentation.

KiloXray
02-11-12, 21:06
I took the "leap" (haha) and got some frog lube this week. With all the talk of "minty", I was expecting the scent of mouthwash. I found the smell to be alot closer to IcyHot, or BenGay though.

A buddy of mine was over while I was putting this junk on my carry pistol, and the jokes were nonstop about how I and my safe were going to smell like old men.

I do sort of feel like someone is going to ask me, while CCing, if I have a pulled muscle.

Oh well, whatever works.

An Undocumented Worker
02-11-12, 22:49
http://i41.tinypic.com/fo2az4.jpg
Froglube Paste: 0.5766mm
CLP: 0.8mm
Slip2000: 0.56mm

Did you pay to have this test done on your own dime? Or did you stumble across this somewhere else.

Anyway if you have more details about the test let us know.

WS6
02-11-12, 23:09
Did you pay to have this test done on your own dime? Or did you stumble across this somewhere else.

Anyway if you have more details about the test let us know.

It was sent to me by a member here who said that a local gunsmith had had issues and was going to have it tested, and would share the data with them. They forwarded me what you see posted, and told me I could repost it. They have read this thread and are capable of telling us more if they choose to.

Before they recieved data, they seemed negative toward the product. Their last communications seemed positive.

sinlessorrow
02-11-12, 23:19
It was sent to me by a member here who said that a local gunsmith had had issues and was going to have it tested, and would share the data with them. They forwarded me what you see posted, and told me I could repost it. They have read this thread and are capable of telling us more if they choose to.

Before they recieved data, they seemed negative toward the product. Their last communications seemed positive.

can you describe what that stuff meant?

WS6
02-11-12, 23:32
can you describe what that stuff meant?

The wear scar is part of ASTM D4172, a wear test the military has speced for firearm lubricant. Clp has a wear scar in this test of 0.8mm. Slip2000, of 0.56mm. Froglube paste, of 0.5766mm.
The graphs show wear vs. Time during the test. I presume this is depth of wear, measured dynamically by the machine during the test, but have asked for clarification. The coefficient of friction test should correlate with any other using this type test, but I have not found any others to compare.

Locutus
02-12-12, 09:37
I thought gee, this stuff sounds wonderful, so where can I get some? I went to Brownells and found this:

Biodegradable, non-toxic lubricant
Available in a 8 oz paste or 4 oz liquid
Produced from food grade components
Handles an extremely wide temperature range
Friendly to plastics, rubber, & urethane
Moistens o-rings, nylon, & rubber parts

This sounds a LOT like Ballistol, which is my lube of choice for black powder weapons. Ballistol is perfect because it is water soluble (water being the primary cleaner for black powder weapons), so after the water evaporates, only the Ballistol is left behind.

I wonder how much alike they are? What I do see is that Froglube comes as a paste and that sounds like a good thing for lubing BCG. Any thoughts on that?

K Town
02-15-12, 20:48
Just got done applying the minty goodness on a few of my AK parts. Knocked the old stuff off with break cleaner, put the oven on 175, applied all over, then reassembled. The bolt carrier literally felt like glass riding over the hammer and my safety selector moves very smoothly over the receiver. Can't wait to see how it performs on my next range trip. Next up on the mint pasting block is the P226 which needs a detail clean anyway.

mpom
02-16-12, 08:50
I use it on the nylon zippers of gun cases, especially the corners where they are likely to hang up. Used to use Teflon grease made for sailboats, but could not find it last time I needed it.

Mark

justlikeanyoneelse
02-21-12, 04:10
I tried Frog Lube and permanently switched over from TW25B. TW25B did the job but with Frog Lube there was a noticeable difference, a certain smoothness at the touch and function. Plus the smell was a lot better than TW25B. Only tried and use the liquid version of FL, thought the liquid would seep into everything. I was wondering the pros and cons if I used FL on a suppressor (provided it can accept liquids). The suppressor could receive increased performance and I figure the FL would clp the can. Anyone have any input on this?

Iraqgunz
02-21-12, 04:21
I squirted some in my suppressor after I cleaned it out.

I tried Frog Lube and permanently switched over from TW25B. TW25B did the job but with Frog Lube there was a noticeable difference, a certain smoothness at the touch and function. Plus the smell was a lot better than TW25B. Only tried and use the liquid version of FL, thought the liquid would seep into everything. I was wondering the pros and cons if I used FL on a suppressor (provided it can accept liquids). The suppressor could receive increased performance and I figure the FL would clp the can. Anyone have any input on this?

justlikeanyoneelse
02-21-12, 04:37
I squirted some in my suppressor after I cleaned it out.

Nice, have you had a chance to test it?

WS6
02-21-12, 04:47
Nice, have you had a chance to test it?

When most oils vaporize, they leave goo, grit, and carbon behind. Froglube paste in my testing leaves NOTHING behind. I do not know about the CLP, but this bares consideration.

Iraqgunz
02-21-12, 04:54
I am using it in Kabul (currently snowing) on some of our pistols and it seemed to help with the gritty feeling they had.

WS6
02-21-12, 05:05
I am using it in Kabul (currently snowing) on some of our pistols and it seemed to help with the gritty feeling they had.

Got some paste on you? Does it work for you in that weather on an AR?

gundawg
02-21-12, 15:18
My CLP/Grease of choice the past year has been Weapon Shield, and I have been more than happy with it. I still have WS on my EDC (MP9c) and my bedside home defense option (SP2022 9mm+ TLR-1s).

I have also been intrigued by frog lube and all it said it offered, originally I got thrown off like many others with the ads, and claims and how their advertizing was set up.

I am running a 4 gun test now with frog lube, basically using Paste on 90% of the test guns surfaces after being heated with a hair dryer, and a bit of the liquid on internals and BCG.

Test gun 1- P229 .357sig/.40 , used this to get a solid idea on wear, since it’s metal frame on metal slide, 300 rounds of .357sig, 200 rounds of .40, and not extra wear noticed on the rails. Action feels smooth, cleaning does get easier with time, have not noticed any rust. Applied 3 separate times so far with three cleanings

Test Gun 2 – M&P .357sig/.40 compact – wanted to see how FL did on polymer frame pistol, and wanted to see how long I could go until I had any malfunctions after two initial treatments. 200 rounds .357 sig, 250 rounds .40, no issues, and no notice of excess wear, have not cleaned or retreated in any way.

Test Gun 3- Mossberg 930 SPX , mix of Buck, slug, 6 shot, 8 shot, total is around 280-300, I have cleaned and reapplied FL, after three trips to the range, not a single hiccup. Cleans like a dream, action really feels smooth, has handled low recoil loads with no problems.

Test gun 4- DD M4V5 Treated all surfaces two initial times, ran 450-500 rounds over three visits, only applying a few drops of liquid to BCG, not issues what so ever.

That’s a total of around 1,600-1,700 rounds run through all four guns of different platforms and so far all rounds have been flawless. Now it’s also my option that these platforms have a solid track record in themselves, and to say it’s all owed to FL would be a mistake. But what I do know is how the actions feel when manipulating them, I know how easier they clean off, so for now I would say FL does largely what it claims. I may never know truly about the protection part as I inspect my collection every few weeks, but would be interesting to see how they fair in a few years.

bp7178
02-21-12, 15:47
I would almost bet most, if not all of those guns would function for that round count without any lube what so ever. Firing schedules would factor into that, but 450-500 rounds out of an AR15 over three range trips isn't very heavy.

You'd would almost have to test it over the course of a few years on a new gun(s) compared to a control of no lube and another lubed with a competing product.

I just bought a bottle of Froglube. I like the idea of using one product to clean and lube. I hated how Slip EWL ran all over and out of every gun I put it on. I'm digging how the Froglube stays put.

Product aside, the marketing behind it isn't the best.

skullworks
02-21-12, 15:56
I would almost bet most, if not all of those guns would function for that round count without any lube what so ever. Firing schedules would factor into that, but 450-500 rounds out of an AR15 over three range trips isn't very heavy.
I would have to agree - or at the very least any lube would manage that.

Sent using Tapatalk

Iraq Ninja
02-21-12, 16:12
Did a side by side informal test with FL and SEAL 1 on equally dirty M4 bolts and Glock barrels. I wanted to compare the "cleaning" aspect of the CLP claims. As I suspected, both did equally well, very well overall.

As a bore cleaner (M4 and Glock) they did ok, but not great, if you want to remove the copper junk.

Both brands have lived up to the CLP claim so far.

I did notice that the Frog Lube I applied had a gritty feel, as if something had precipitated out of it. It reminded me of those body wash soaps that have a gritty material added to it. I don't remember the FL being this way before. These were samples from SHOT (small white tubes). The fact that the ends were cut off the tubes, thus exposing the FL to possible drying may have been the issue.

It is nice to be able to clean a gun at work and not have folks complain about a chemical smell.

gundawg
02-21-12, 16:15

You'd would almost have to test it over the course of a few years on a new gun(s) compared to a control of no lube and another lubed with a competing product.

I just bought a bottle of Froglube. I like the idea of using one product to clean and lube. I hated how Slip EWL ran all over and out of every gun I put it on. I'm digging how the Froglube stays put.

Product aside, the marketing behind it isn't the best.

Yes I would agree with you, but I do like the overall lack of time I have had to spend maintaining these four. This is about one month in, like to continue this for some time and see how they come out after let’s say 6 months and 8,000-9,000 total rounds

gundawg
02-21-12, 16:18
Did a side by side informal test with FL and SEAL 1 on equally dirty M4 bolts and Glock barrels. I wanted to compare the "cleaning" aspect of the CLP claims. As I suspected, both did equally well, very well overall.

As a bore cleaner (M4 and Glock) they did ok, but not great, if you want to remove the copper junk.

I did notice that the Frog Lube I applied had a gritty feel, as if something had precipitated out of it. It reminded me of those body wash soaps that have a gritty material added to it. I don't remember the FL being this way before. These were samples from SHOT (small white tubes). The fact that the ends were cut off the tubes, thus exposing the FL to possible drying may have been the issue.

It is nice to be able to clean a gun at work and not have folks complain about a chemical smell.

that gritty feeling does sound odd, I am fairly certain I can remember ever feeling anything like that, I handle the paste and liquid all the time using my bare hands, and fingers.

WS6
02-21-12, 17:28

I like the Seal 1 CLP more than the Froglube CLP, but the Seal 1 paste sucks in my opinion. It's like a wax instead of a paste.

justlikeanyoneelse
02-21-12, 18:30
When most oils vaporize, they leave goo, grit, and carbon behind. Froglube paste in my testing leaves NOTHING behind. I do not know about the CLP, but this bares consideration.

I definitely agree, as soon as my form 4 gets back I'll put it to the test. Considering I'll be using a sbr with a mini can I'm thinking it would put FL to the test. Ill post my opinion for anyone that's interested.

tonyxcom
02-21-12, 18:51
My last bottle of FL had that "gritty" stuff in it too. I did some informal tests and got rid of the grittyness by putting the bottle in the microwave 20 seconds at a time 3 or 4 times. Shaking in between.

Whatever it is/was, it basically melted away.

Prior to that, my first bottle of FL had a cloudy green color. The second bottle had a brighter green color with the grit.

Post microwave, the new bottle has a cloudy green color, but not as cloudy as the first.

gundawg
02-22-12, 09:10
Saw a youtube video by gun websites, seems they are comeing out with a degresser product as well that fits in line with the CLP and Paste

Irish
02-22-12, 09:39
I just purchased the FL paste and liquid from Iraqgunz a month ago. He was able to drop by during SHOT and went out of his way to bring it to my house due to my busy schedule, thanks again.

As the father of an incredibly active and curious 15 month old I was reassured when IG licked a fingerful of FL without any adverse affects. :) Frog Lube works great and won't harm your wife, kid or dog if they happen to ingest some and that to me is a huge benefit.

garret459
02-22-12, 09:40
Saw a youtube video by gun websites, seems they are comeing out with a degresser product as well that fits in line with the CLP and Paste

Got a link to it.

gundawg
02-22-12, 10:03
Got a link to it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRlcXsQJlY

garret459
02-22-12, 10:09
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRlcXsQJlY

OH that one seen it sound interesting.

skullworks
02-22-12, 14:05
Yeah they were handing out samples of the stripper/degreaser at SHOT.

Dsm2nr
02-29-12, 01:36
Anyone put a piston gun with FL through it's paces yet?

I recently picked up a Huldra Arms middy piston upper and threw it on it. I only had time for 120 rounds today but the bcg didn't even get warm enough to completely melt all the FL I had on it. There were chunks I could see still solid from the ejection port.

Just curious if FL has the same affect sans heat.

williejc
02-29-12, 04:36
I bought some FL from the distinguished Arizona distributor and must agree that it appears to work as advertised. I'm using it on a LCP and LC9. Clean-up after shooting is a breeze. Heating with a hair dryer, rubbbing it in, and wiping excess provides a well lubed pistol without mess. I had no trouble using just the paste version without creating thick layers or chunks showing up in the mechanisms. Apply sparingly and rub it in well. I did begin with squeaky clean pistols that had been treated with Ballistol.

gundawg
02-29-12, 07:04
Ran another 160 rounds, to add to the 200 previous, and then cleaned it for the first time, so simple, some blue shop towels wiped it all away used a touch of the liquid FL as i cleaned.

Once done just warmed it up a bit and reapplied. very interested in seeing how the AR, MP40c, P229, and SPX 930 respond over time.

RIDE
02-29-12, 07:12
Anyone put a piston gun with FL through it's paces yet?

I recently picked up a Huldra Arms middy piston upper and threw it on it. I only had time for 120 rounds today but the bcg didn't even get warm enough to completely melt all the FL I had on it. There were chunks I could see still solid from the ejection port.

Just curious if FL has the same affect sans heat.

I haven't been using it too long, but so far it has been fantastic.

I have used it on my MRP Piston, and it worked perfectly for the limited number of rounds (hundreds, not Thousands) I put through it with Frog Lube being used.

gundawg
02-29-12, 07:18
One thing I am waiting to see, is how the FL stays on my EDC (MP9c) when it's sitting in my car during the summer months. I know that slide gets as hot to the touch as when I heat it up to apply the FL.

We all know how quickly it melts

The Weapon Shield always stayed in place no matter how hot it got.

bp7178
02-29-12, 08:30
My last bottle of FL had that "gritty" stuff in it too. I did some informal tests and got rid of the grittyness by putting the bottle in the microwave 20 seconds at a time 3 or 4 times. Shaking in between.

Whatever it is/was, it basically melted away.

Prior to that, my first bottle of FL had a cloudy green color. The second bottle had a brighter green color with the grit.

Post microwave, the new bottle has a cloudy green color, but not as cloudy as the first.

I noticed this with my bottle as well.

I had a smaller applicator sized bottle that I microwaved after reading your post. It turned a transparent green color and really thinned out, turning to almost the consistency of Slip 2000 EWG. About 15 seconds in the microwave was enough to notice a change. After it cooled, it turned back to the same thicker opaque green fluid, but in my unscientific test did seem slightly thicker than before.

So if heat had this effect, I was wondering what cold would do. I placed another small bottle, the size that comes with Otis kits, in the freezer for a couple of hours. It froze solid. This kind of leaves me concerned.

I later did the same thing with Slip 2000 EWG. The Slip oil didn't freeze solid, but did become thicker. However it stayed liquid the whole time.

Dsm2nr
02-29-12, 14:07
I noticed this with my bottle as well.

I had a smaller applicator sized bottle that I microwaved after reading your post. It turned a transparent green color and really thinned out, turning to almost the consistency of Slip 2000 EWG. About 15 seconds in the microwave was enough to notice a change. After it cooled, it turned back to the same thicker opaque green fluid, but in my unscientific test did seem slightly thicker than before.

So if heat had this effect, I was wondering what cold would do. I placed another small bottle, the size that comes with Otis kits, in the freezer for a couple of hours. It froze solid. This kind of leaves me concerned.

I later did the same thing with Slip 2000 EWG. The Slip oil didn't freeze solid, but did become thicker. However it stayed liquid the whole time.

Speaking from a motor oil stand point. All of it turns to the same viscosity around 200*. So if you fired even one bullet while the Slip was that cold, it would be well on it's way to normal.

On a DI AR, I'd have no doubt FL would warm up enough to at least cycle the bcg. Piston guns I'm having concerns about in the cold.

bp7178
02-29-12, 16:42
The bolt isn't going to warm from that cold that fast. My worry is that the action would be unnecessarily sluggish.

I cleaned and lubed a pistol with Froglube and placed it in the freezer. A few hours later, it was harder to cycle the slide rearward.

That's more what I'm worried about, the initial sluggish action from being frozen, not that it would melt 20 rounds later.

sinlessorrow
02-29-12, 16:57
The bolt isn't going to warm from that cold that fast. My worry is that the action would be unnecessarily sluggish.

I cleaned and lubed a pistol with Froglube and placed it in the freezer. A few hours later, it was harder to cycle the slide rearward.

That's more what I'm worried about, the initial sluggish action from being frozen, not that it would melt 20 rounds later.

You should try some 5w30 motor oil and report back i would be interested to see how it performs
The fact that frog lube freezes up would be a concern

Littlelebowski
02-29-12, 17:05
Lot of "oh my god, what if, what if" in this thread. Try shooting your weapons lubed with FL before declaring that the sky is falling.

MrSmitty
02-29-12, 18:23
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1401/img0330kg.jpg

Bolt out of my Noveske 10.5" that got the FL treatment right out of the box. 556 rounds (330 Federal M193, 226 PMC Bronze) before first cleaning. I sat the BCG on a space heater while I ran a snake through the bore and wiped out the upper. Broke down the BCG and wiped it down, no carbon buildup on the bolt at all. Reapplied the paste and I was good to go.

RIDE
02-29-12, 18:48
Lot of "oh my god, what if, what if" in this thread. Try shooting your weapons lubed with FL before declaring that the sky is falling.

lol! That's all fine and dandy... but what if you do not want to shoot your rifle, and instead want to store it in the freezer?? Then what "Dude"?

;) ;) :lol:

sgtjosh
02-29-12, 18:50
You should try some 5w30 motor oil and report back i would be interested to see how it performs
The fact that frog lube freezes up would be a concern

As soon as you fire the weapon, the Froglube turns to liquid.

Hot gun=liquid Froglube
Cold gun=semi-solid Froglube

Where is the confusion?

Like Lebowski posted..."Try shooting your weapons lubed with FL before declaring that the sky is falling."

sinlessorrow
02-29-12, 19:15
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1401/img0330kg.jpg

Bolt out of my Noveske 10.5" that got the FL treatment right out of the box. 556 rounds (330 Federal M193, 226 PMC Bronze) before first cleaning. I sat the BCG on a space heater while I ran a snake through the bore and wiped out the upper. Broke down the BCG and wiped it down, no carbon buildup on the bolt at all. Reapplied the paste and I was good to go.

Very nice, so do you have to re apply the paste every time? Is the paste the best option?

Lastly do you have to completely strip the parts of lube before using it?

bp7178
02-29-12, 19:46

Who hasn't shot their weapon with Froglube?

I don't get why people jump to a product in which they have no vested intrest, short of having bought some. I bought some, I've shot with it.

For some of the children who have never carried a weapon for a living, sometimes you find yourself in freezing weather. Sometimes you are in the weather for quite a long time. During that time, if you aren't shooting said weapon, its just as cold as everything else left outside. Many times, this is much colder than a kitchen freezer would ever get.

So its a valid concern how the stuff would work in the cold.

I would like to hear from people who live in colder enviroments who have carried their rifle out in the weather for a while, then shot it having been lubed with Froglube, to hear their views. Was there a noticeable difference in bolt carrier speed/recoil for the first few shots?

I don't really want to read dribble written by smartasses who haven't.

Carry on...

MrSmitty
02-29-12, 20:08
Very nice, so do you have to re apply the paste every time? Is the paste the best option?

Lastly do you have to completely strip the parts of lube before using it?

Initial Prep:

I stripped the BCG and wiped out the upper with Slip 725 when I received it. Put a coating of the paste on the bolt and cam pin, assembled the BCG, set it on a space heater for a bit then coated it with paste and let it melt into the crevices. I didn't wipe the excess off. It definitely stays wet if you don't wipe the excess off, I never had to add any of the liquid while shooting.

I'm probably going to stick to a 1000 round cleaning interval with a quick bore snaking after each range session. Wipe out interior, disassemble and wipe down BCG, inspection, reapply paste.

At that rate, the 4oz paste should last me a while. I'm excited to see how this stuff performs once I get the stamp for the FA556-212.

I haven't used much of the liquid yet. I actually just broke it out to put a thin coating on the outside of the barrel. Sounds like its high temp properties are good so I'm hoping it doesn't bake off as fast as other lubes do.

The weather here has been unseasonably warm so I haven't been able to test cold weather properties :blink:

StrikerFired
02-29-12, 20:19

I don't get why people jump to a product in which they have no vested intrest, short of having bought some. I bought some, I've shot with it.

For some of the children who have never carried a weapon for a living, sometimes you find yourself in freezing weather. Sometimes you are in the weather for quite a long time. During that time, if you aren't shooting said weapon, its just as cold as everything else left outside. Many times, this is much colder than a kitchen freezer would ever get.

I would like to hear from people who live in colder enviroments who have carried their rifle out in the weather for a while, then shot it having been lubed with Froglube, to hear their views. Was there a noticeable difference in bolt carrier speed/recoil for the first few shots?

Carry on...

Up here in Michigan it hasn't been as cold as it usually is, but still cold enough. I put a FL lubed rifle out for several hours at the range and let it get good and cold. The FL looked pretty thick on the BCG, but I did not notice the action slowing down or any other issues with the first shots. This was done with an outside air temp of about 20 to 25 degrees.

sinlessorrow
02-29-12, 21:24
Up here in Michigan it hasn't been as cold as it usually is, but still cold enough. I put a FL lubed rifle out for several hours at the range and let it get good and cold. The FL looked pretty thick on the BCG, but I did not notice the action slowing down or any other issues with the first shots. This was done with an outside air temp of about 20 to 25 degrees.

i would be more interested to see the results at 0* or below

one reason ive always ran motor oil was because it runs in -50*

StrikerFired
02-29-12, 22:23
Well, on that I don't know myself. I hasn't been that cold here in southwest lower Michigan this year. I'll ask around and see if anyone in the U.P. that I know has been running the stuff.

Sucram24
04-01-12, 21:10
I love this stuff!!!
Last night I cleaned my M&P 40 with Froglube for the first time and I have to say that I am impressed. I put about a hundred rounds through it today and it had never felt smoother. Cleaned it when I got home and man everything just wiped off (plus my wife didn't yell because of the smell). Went ahead and cleaned the rife (BCM 16 middy) when I was done and felt an Improvement there also. I'm a believer.

FiReBRETHa
04-01-12, 21:18
<~ another froglube user that is very satisfied so far.

The first seasoning I did with it the metal soaked it up. I added a second layer and then went shooting a few times. Came back and broke her down and everything wiped off easy and clean. Extremely happy about that considering how dirty some of that .22 shooting was.

An Undocumented Worker
04-01-12, 21:33
Ok I have been using this stuff since around last fall, and am currently using it on all my firearms, from AR's to .22 lr pistols and everything in between. So far I like it alot.

Well a couple of weeks ago I had to replace the chain on my mountain bike, so naturally I decided to test froglube out on that as well. I cut the chain to length, degreased it from all the packing grease and then brush a decent coat of the froglube paste onto the chain and let it sit out in the sun for an hour to let the froglube flow into all the links then installed it on the bike. It's been 6 rides so far averaging 12 miles each offroad without relubing in dry dusty conditions at the trails. There is some of the trail dust stuck to the exterior of the chain but no gunky build up associated with your typical lubes like TriFlow. And no squeaking or chirping associated with a dried out chain. So far I like it for that application as well as use in my firearms.

feedramp
04-02-12, 00:43
Initial Prep:

I stripped the BCG and wiped out the upper with Slip 725 when I received it. Put a coating of the paste on the bolt and cam pin, assembled the BCG, set it on a space heater for a bit then coated it with paste and let it melt into the crevices. I didn't wipe the excess off. It definitely stays wet if you don't wipe the excess off, I never had to add any of the liquid while shooting.

I'm probably going to stick to a 1000 round cleaning interval with a quick bore snaking after each range session. Wipe out interior, disassemble and wipe down BCG, inspection, reapply paste.

Curious -- what is your bore snaking process when using FrogLube?

Do you run a patch soaked in FL down the barrel as a cleaning run, then run the actual bore snake through it with a bit of FL on that as well?
After snaking it once or twice do you then run a dry patch through it or another wet one with FL on it?

cmoore
04-02-12, 00:47
I run a patch with a small amount of paste. Next time you fire it, it heats up and does it's thing.

R0CKETMAN
04-02-12, 04:46
Froglube not sold on line. Crazy

Iraqgunz
04-02-12, 05:27
FrogLube can be purchased directly from Brownells.

MrSmitty
04-02-12, 05:29
Curious -- what is your bore snaking process when using FrogLube?

Do you run a patch soaked in FL down the barrel as a cleaning run, then run the actual bore snake through it with a bit of FL on that as well?
After snaking it once or twice do you then run a dry patch through it or another wet one with FL on it?

I've finally managed to ween myself off of the white glove clean mentality so I try to spend as little time cleaning as possible. I just run a dry boresnake through it a couple times after each range session and leave it at that. I might run a patch with the liquid on it the next time I clean it if I'm feeling squirrely. I only have 1464 rounds on this upper so far with one cleaning at 5XX rounds. I've only applied the paste initially and during the cleaning and it has stayed wet.

I got under the rail system and put a coating of FL liquid on the outside of the barrel to see how it would hold up. After 700 rounds it's still a little moist under there so I'm impressed by that. Slip 2000 EWL would evaporate/burn off after a week/hundred rounds on my BCM.

You can't find it online now? I just saw it at Brownells the other day...

ETA: IG beat me to it...

FiReBRETHa
04-02-12, 10:56
new upper just arrived, degreased it now and applying FL

Biggy
04-02-12, 11:29

www.midwayusa.com sells it and they have it in stock.

MyHybridBurnsGasandTires
04-02-12, 13:07

Definitely available on Amazon.com

Sucram24
04-02-12, 13:30
After cleaning with froglube how often should I clean the rifle? If I shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it and put it away. Should I clean it when I get up to 1000 rounds fired or clean it any time it will not be fired for time of weeks to a month. Rifle is a BCM 16 Middy.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

NoveskeFan
04-02-12, 14:04
Clean it when it gets really dirty. I usually run a bore snake through the barrel after a couple hundred rounds and do a more detailed cleaning when I get around 600 rounds. Depending on ammo (corrosive, etc) you might want to clean it before an extended storage.

After cleaning with froglube how often should I clean the rifle? If I shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it and put it away. Should I clean it when I get up to 1000 rounds fired or clean it any time it will not be fired for time of weeks to a month. Rifle is a BCM 16 Middy.

feedramp
04-02-12, 14:46

Yep, and Botach has it as well.

R0CKETMAN
04-02-12, 15:13
Thanks..their website shows retail only

I've finally managed to ween myself off of the white glove clean mentality so I try to spend as little time cleaning as possible. I just run a dry boresnake through it a couple times after each range session and leave it at that. I might run a patch with the liquid on it the next time I clean it if I'm feeling squirrely. I only have 1464 rounds on this upper so far with one cleaning at 5XX rounds. I've only applied the paste initially and during the cleaning and it has stayed wet.

I got under the rail system and put a coating of FL liquid on the outside of the barrel to see how it would hold up. After 700 rounds it's still a little moist under there so I'm impressed by that. Slip 2000 EWL would evaporate/burn off after a week/hundred rounds on my BCM.

You can't find it online now? I just saw it at Brownells the other day...

ETA: IG beat me to it...

new upper just arrived, degreased it now and applying FL

Clean it when it gets really dirty. I usually run a bore snake through the barrel after a couple hundred rounds and do a more detailed cleaning when I get around 600 rounds. Depending on ammo (corrosive, etc) you might want to clean it before an extended storage.

Yep, and Botach has it as well.

Littlelebowski
04-02-12, 17:05

Carry on...

Oh, I get it. You're someone who has actually carried a weapon for a living unlike us hobbyists. By all means, we should stand back and let the trained professionals worry about lube and bolt carrier speed.

I'd mention certain readily accessible things about my own history but I get sick and tired of sneering like yours. The true professionals I know don't make a habit of talking down to others on Internet forums.

ucrt
04-02-12, 17:10

==============================

IG,
Can we buy FL directly from you??

Iraq Ninja
04-02-12, 23:38
The majority of the folks (soldiers) I have been around who "carry their weapons professionally" didn't treat their weapons any better than the civies who pursue the desire to master their weapons.

Those who did, were the true warriors who understood their tools of the trade.

I can't tell you how many times I heard a totally dry weapon clink at the clearing barrels, or get bumped in the Dining Facility by someone "burdened" by having to carry a weapon with them all the time in a war zone.

Don't dismiss someone's experience because they don't wear a uniform, nor accept the gospel of range ninjas.

My personal experiment with Frog Lube/ Seal One is that both work, and I have yet to tell the difference between the two. Since the same guy makes em both, I suspect the formulation is not too different, yet the maker claims that Seal One is the improved version. For me, both are good and I lean towards the more economical version.

I am concerned about the cold weather implications, but have not yet tested it so alleviate my concerns.

Iraqgunz
04-02-12, 23:48
ucrt,

Yes. If you PM I will see that it is taken care of. I will be back CONUS in just over a week. My spouse can also handle the light work.

==============================

IG,
Can we buy FL directly from you??

bp7178
04-03-12, 00:27
Oh, I get it. You're someone who has actually carried a weapon for a living unlike us hobbyists. By all means, we should stand back and let the trained professionals worry about lube and bolt carrier speed.

I'd mention certain readily accessible things about my own history but I get sick and tired of sneering like yours. The true professionals I know don't make a habit of talking down to others on Internet forums.

Then don't read what I type and save us your pissy swipes. If you remember, and I assume you do because you drug this crap up from over a month ago, my post which you quoted above was a response to yet another pissy swipe of yours.

Guys defending their new wonder lube when they have only fired their guns at ranges, and carried them there unloaded in a factory box don't present a very significant argument, and don't really have the same concerns as those who carry them exposed in adverse weather.

Its a very minor concern I had about cold weather, and you played your tool card before, and are doing it again. I had posed the question to people who have used the product in cold weather, and my question was asked and answered.

So just don't read what I write and I'll add you to my ignore list.

Carry on.

To everyone else. I like Froglube. It does what it says it does. It seems to be better at cleaning that Slip EWG, and I like that it doesn't run as much as EWG, especially on rifles when stored vertically. It also doesn't seem to burn off the barrel as quickly as EWG.

Iraqgunz
04-03-12, 02:38
FYI- there are people using it overseas. They just aren't broadcasting it all over the net.

Then don't read what I type and save us your pissy swipes. If you remember, and I assume you do because you drug this crap up from over a month ago, my post which you quoted above was a response to yet another pissy swipe of yours.

Guys defending their new wonder lube when they have only fired their guns at ranges, and carried them there unloaded in a factory box don't present a very significant argument, and don't really have the same concerns as those who carry them exposed in adverse weather.

Its a very minor concern I had about cold weather, and you played your tool card before, and are doing it again. I had posed the question to people who have used the product in cold weather, and my question was asked and answered.

So just don't read what I write and I'll add you to my ignore list.

Carry on.

To everyone else. I like Froglube. It does what it says it does. It seems to be better at cleaning that Slip EWG, and I like that it doesn't run as much as EWG, especially on rifles when stored vertically. It also doesn't seem to burn off the barrel as quickly as EWG.

bp7178
04-03-12, 03:20
I'm sure there are, but that isn't relevant to what I was talking about.

My question was about cold weather, and some members from the north already answered it. Why any of that was drug up from over a month ago is beyond me.

Littlelebowski
04-03-12, 07:39
I'm sure there are, but that isn't relevant to what I was talking about.

My question was about cold weather, and some members from the north already answered it. Why any of that was drug up from over a month ago is beyond me.

It was drug up because of your bullshit sneering at folks who "have never carried a weapon for a living" like you. It's a moronic argument designed to make you feel better about yourself. I did 8 years in the Corps and train and compete with many folks on this forum at matches and at classes, even whilst running FrogLube in my AR.

To answer your question, if you apply it properly with a light film instead of globbing it on like a conventional lube, you are fine. Maybe if you overaupplied and took it to Failure2Stop's carbine class when it was snowing and below 25 degrees for literally 1k round count training day, it will also run fine. However, I would recommend not over applying for the adverse conditions and taking the time to do it right. It will seem like not a lot of lube but will work extremely well.

bp7178
04-03-12, 11:45
I think you would get less "bullshit sneering" if you didn't jump onto the smartass bandwagon when someone asks a question about a specific set of circumstances and instead let people who know answer it.

Irish
04-03-12, 11:49
It's a lube thread not a dick measuring contest.

Although, I guess the two do go together.

Preliator
04-03-12, 12:26

Carry on...

Attitude means alot. I suspect most of the folks here have plenty of experience "carrying a weapon for a living" but i digress....

I don't recomend using the paste in cold weather. I had mine out in sub zero weather this winter and used a laser device my brother in law uses as a contractor to measure the temperature of the metal parts of the rifle. At -18 degrees the paste was clammy and the first shots the action was very sluggish (but it did cycle fully). As soon as the gun warmed up a bit it ran smooth as silk. The liquid seemed to take the extreme cold much better.

LRB45
04-03-12, 12:39
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but what is the best way or ways to get the weapon clean before applying the FrogLube?

I've read where it can be applied over the existing oil but works best with a clean weapon. Would really like to try this stuff out.

Thanks

jmoney
04-03-12, 12:40
Attitude means alot. I suspect most of the folks here have plenty of experience "carrying a weapon for a living" but i digress....

I don't recomend using the paste in cold weather. I had mine out in sub zero weather this winter and used a laser device my brother in law uses as a contractor to measure the temperature of the metal parts of the rifle. At -18 degrees the paste was clammy and the first shots the action was very sluggish (but it did cycle fully). As soon as the gun warmed up a bit it ran smooth as silk. The liquid seemed to take the extreme cold much better.

thanks for that, I was wondering if I should change up the way I do things if my carbines ever come up north with me

OldGreg
04-03-12, 12:43
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but what is the best way or ways to get the weapon clean before applying the FrogLube?

I've read where it can be applied over the existing oil but works best with a clean weapon. Would really like to try this stuff out.

Thanks

IIRC, it shouldn't be mixed with other lubes. And i cleaned my parts normally then rinsed them in Mineral Spirits afterwards. Shook 'em dry then hit the parts with a heatgun (low temp) to do the curing.

feedramp
04-03-12, 12:45
From what I've read, reading through this whole thread, isopropyl alcohol or brake cleaner are the top two choices to get rid of all previous CLP products (though apparently FrogLube is soon to release a cleaner product to provide their own way of prepping a gun for FL), then heat the parts like the BCG in an oven set at 175F for like 5-10 minutes, then apply the paste to those parts, rubbing it in with your fingers while yelling OWW, DAMMIT, HOT POTATO, DAGNABBIT, DUCK SEASON, NO GOOD RASSAFRASSIN, WASCALLY WABBIT, and such, and then let it sit for one hour and cool, during which time the paste will magically absorb itself into the metal like we always hoped the info in those school textbooks would if we slept with one against our head, and then if you want you can wipe off any excess or you can just reassemble as-is all lubed and frisky. Apply a nice coating of the liquid FL to the barrel and all other surfaces you want coated/lubed/protected.

ComradeBoris
04-04-12, 03:36
So from what little I can gather from the product FAQ's and bogus threads on the interwebz, I would be okay to dip my foot in the shallow end with the CLP first and if I so desired commit to the paste? I just don't see the paste as a functional cleaner for lifting baked on BCG carbon off the bolt and other nooks. The paste seems like it would be better for protecting metal and the CLP seems like decent lube and cleaner support? Regardless I have more reading to do before I decide. Too little in the way of proof on paper or meaningful endurance testing of this product to sell me on it. They (Froglube) need to hire a better marketing individual. Their ads stick on you like a cheap suit.

Iraqgunz
04-04-12, 03:58
Rather than contributing speculation why not get some and try it yourself?

So from what little I can gather from the product FAQ's and bogus threads on the interwebz, I would be okay to dip my foot in the shallow end with the CLP first and if I so desired commit to the paste? I just don't see the paste as a functional cleaner for lifting baked on BCG carbon off the bolt and other nooks. The paste seems like it would be better for protecting metal and the CLP seems like decent lube and cleaner support? Regardless I have more reading to do before I decide. Too little in the way of proof on paper or meaningful endurance testing of this product to sell me on it. They (Froglube) need to hire a better marketing individual. Their ads stick on you like a cheap suit.

Littlelebowski
04-04-12, 08:13
It's a lube thread not a dick measuring contest.

Although, I guess the two do go together.

Sorry for contributing to thread drift, bro. Certain things just set me off.

Anyway, folks need to remember a little dab will do ya on this stuff. It really does go on lightly and stay there. Go to http://rationalgun.com and see the conditions in which I ran this stuff at Failure2stop's grueling 2 day carbine class if you are worried about this stuff in cold weather conditions.

Littlelebowski
04-04-12, 08:16
Forgot to mention that I only use the liquid applied via an AP brush not that I am not gobbling it on like a traditional lube. Might as well note that I am singing the praises of this stuff that I bought with my own money off of Amazon. Not a free sample.

Irish
04-04-12, 09:25
Sorry for contributing to thread drift, bro. Certain things just set me off.

I hear ya and I understand. Just trying to steer us back on course.

I bought some with my own loot and IG hand delivered it to my house. Now that's service! :dirol:

MrSmitty
04-04-12, 09:30
I just don't see the paste as a functional cleaner for lifting baked on BCG carbon off the bolt and other nooks.

FWIW, I have almost 1500 rounds though my Noveske 10.5" upper using strictly FL paste and I have almost no carbon build up on my bolt tail to begin with. About 1k since the first cleaning and the entire bolt is still wet, and I haven't applied any paste since the cleaning.

Buckshot Barry
04-04-12, 16:24
There's tests online (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm) where folks soaked primers in different solvents and they still worked. Seems like just another gun myth.

Great link. Thanks.

jmoney
04-04-12, 16:44
just out of curiosity, how many of you guys are applying the paste to the external metal portions of your firearms?

Dsm2nr
04-04-12, 17:08
just out of curiosity, how many of you guys are applying the paste to the external metal portions of your firearms?

I cover as much as I can (without removing anything) on the initial application. Handguard, barrel, sights, grips, etc on rifles and handguns.

bp7178
04-04-12, 17:42
I don't use the paste, just the regular oil.

I apply it to the flash hider, barrel & gas block, and upper receiver. I then buff it off of the upper, only slightly so on the barrel etc.

It does make carbon really easy to clean from the flash hider.

ComradeBoris
04-04-12, 19:13
Rather than contributing speculation why not get some and try it yourself?

I am looking to pick up a 1oz clp bottle, but am curious if I will see results with it or if the paste is the best to base an experiance off of. It is difficult to tell with my limited understanding of what each product is intended to do. I was considering the clp for AR bcg use and going from there. Is that a good place to start?

punkey71
04-04-12, 19:24
The paste is also a CLP. I really can't figure out why folks can't fathom that the product is the SAME in a different state of matter (carrier).

A CLP...in two different states of matter. Liquid and solid. They are both CLP's.

Buy a small amount of both and see what works best for you.

I am looking to pick up a 1oz clp bottle, but am curious if I will see results with it or if the paste is the best to base an experiance off of. It is difficult to tell with my limited understanding of what each product is intended to do. I was considering the clp for AR bcg use and going from there. Is that a good place to start?

Dennis
04-04-12, 19:46

I have bought a lot of both the paste and CLP, used it on multiple weapons, and put thousands of rounds downrange in training and qualification. That said, I have ONLY used the CLP to top off during training out of habit as opposed to need. I also carry CLP on my gear as just in case lube. Otherwise, all lubing is done during cleaning with the paste, sometimes with the aid of a brush or qtip.

Dennis.

jmoney
04-04-12, 20:55
I cover as much as I can (without removing anything) on the initial application. Handguard, barrel, sights, grips, etc on rifles and handguns.

I don't use the paste, just the regular oil.

I apply it to the flash hider, barrel & gas block, and upper receiver. I then buff it off of the upper, only slightly so on the barrel etc.

It does make carbon really easy to clean from the flash hider.

thanks, I was staring at my new rifle awhile ago and wondering where all I wanted to put this stuff

FiReBRETHa
04-04-12, 22:07

Paste I dont, fluid I do.

A friend lent me his upper and I stripped it down, cleaned it off, removed dirt grime body, etc. and then FrogLubed her in and out. When I returned it to him he stared at it for a few seconds trying to figure out what was up with it since it looked so nice. I forgot to show him how the water beads off it.

ComradeBoris
04-04-12, 22:56
The paste is also a CLP. I really can't figure out why folks can't fathom that the product is the SAME in a different state of matter (carrier).

A CLP...in two different states of matter. Liquid and solid. They are both CLP's.

Buy a small amount of both and see what works best for you.

I guess I traditionally have thought of pasty grease like things for one kind of lubrication, and liquid for others. You are saying I can treat my weapon with both? If this is the case I will grab a bottle to sample for summer shooting and bonfire fun! I guess it just blows my mind to think of cleaning a weapon with paste.

MrSmitty
04-05-12, 06:24
I guess I traditionally have thought of pasty grease like things for one kind of lubrication, and liquid for others. You are saying I can treat my weapon with both? If this is the case I will grab a bottle to sample for summer shooting and bonfire fun! I guess it just blows my mind to think of cleaning a weapon with paste.

The paste basically turns into a liquid once it heats up. Not sure of an exact temp but body heat is enough to melt it. It's not really a grease.

ComradeBoris
04-05-12, 07:07
Haha, its like saturated fat, for guns!:lol:

Littlelebowski
04-05-12, 09:12
I use the oil purely for the ease of application.

jmoney
04-08-12, 21:53
I use the oil purely for the ease of application.

So there is really no benefit in using the paste? The surface still needs to be heated and the fl is absorbed into the metal and solidifies as it cools correct? The liquid would seem easier if this is the case.

justlikeanyoneelse
04-08-12, 23:19
So there is really no benefit in using the paste? The surface still needs to be heated and the fl is absorbed into the metal and solidifies as it cools correct? The liquid would seem easier if this is the case.

If I remember correctly the makers of FL stated liquid is more for cleaning while the paste is for lube but imho its personal preference. I use the liquid as it seeps into everything and FL is FL not matter the form.

Also for anyone interested you can use FL in a can (just make sure your suppressor can be shot "wet"), I run a mini on a sbr and the beginning shots smell like mint and powder lol. Makes clean up really, REALLY easy. Sound reduction wise I didn't hear much of a difference.

jmoney
04-09-12, 07:56
If I remember correctly the makers of FL stated liquid is more for cleaning while the paste is for lube but imho its personal preference. I use the liquid as it seeps into everything and FL is FL not matter the form.

Also for anyone interested you can use FL in a can (just make sure your suppressor can be shot "wet"), I run a mini on a sbr and the beginning shots smell like mint and powder lol. Makes clean up really, REALLY easy. Sound reduction wise I didn't hear much of a difference.

Alright, I guess I'm finally going to coat this thing inside out. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a giant grease-ball for a rifle once I was finished.

Paladin801
04-09-12, 08:54
Both the FL liquid and paste is a cleaner and lube in one. Just follow the instructions provided or google and apply as instructed. If you do it right, I don't think you'll be sorry. It works great for me on all of my weapons.

hmbeal
04-09-12, 14:02
I received my froglube kit and the liquid tube was actually solid, is this normal and is there anyway to bring it back to a liquid state or does anyone have a phone number to contact the people at froglube.

Iraqgunz
04-09-12, 14:09
All you need to do is warm it up a little and shake it. It will be become liquid in no time.

I received my froglube kit and the liquid tube was actually solid, is this normal and is there anyway to bring it back to a liquid state or does anyone have a phone number to contact the people at froglube.

justlikeanyoneelse
04-09-12, 14:21
+1 to Iraqgunz,

Leave it in the sun for like 30 minutes or more and it will become an almost see through green, when it cools it becomes a paste. I placed all my internal parts in a zip lock baggie filled with FL and left it in direct sunlight (two hours). Worked well for me.

FiReBRETHa
04-09-12, 16:09

put it out at room temp or near the TV and it will come back. then shake it up to mix.

BMWguy206
04-09-12, 16:21
+1 to Iraqgunz,

Leave it in the sun for like 30 minutes or more and it will become an almost see through green, when it cools it becomes a paste. I placed all my internal parts in a zip lock baggie filled with FL and left it in direct sunlight (two hours). Worked well for me.

Nice tip on putting parts in a ziplock bag filled with FL. I'm going to do that next time.

jmoney
04-09-12, 16:21
+1 to Iraqgunz,

I like that idea a lot.

on another note, did you guys get this stuff on the buffer (and spring), and down in the trigger as well?

feedramp
04-09-12, 16:28
+1 to Iraqgunz,

Dude, great idea! Sounds even easier than the oven method, especially in places where the direct sunlight is hot and strong this time of year.

Iraq Ninja
04-09-12, 17:56
Best method is still the crock pot, but that may not be an option for most folks.

Last week we took a 11.5" DI carbine with a suppressor to the range for testing. The bolt carrier group was "crock potted" for 3 hours. No extra lube was applied.

We shot 200 rounds suppressed through it. Later that day we broke it down for cleaning. The bolt carrier group was easily cleaned by simply wiping it down. The only carbon left was a small amount on the bolt tail. I have never had a M4 clean up so easily.

Being able to quickly clean a weapon may be important to some folks.

My next test will be with a AK 74 that I treated the same. I want to fire Russian surplus ammo through it, to see how the lube protects it from the corrosive nature of the ammo, especially here in humid Texas.

The only downside to FL or SEAL 1 is that is doesn't seem to remove copper fouling as well as I want.

NOTE- I am using SEAL 1, but it is basically the same as Frog Lube and I don't see why FL won't have the same results.

feedramp
04-09-12, 18:01
In light of that, do you have any thoughts on copper a la the comments by Todd Hodnett in Magpul's 'Art of the Precision Rifle'?
(The gist of it is that he finds leaving some copper fouling in the barrel results in a more consistent shot placement than removing it all, which means the next 20-40 rounds will be building it back up to a point where consistency will again be found. The conclusion being that copper fouling should not necessarily be removed every time one cleans the rifle if one hopes to keep the same POI as prior to cleaning.)

jmoney
04-09-12, 19:09
not the first time i've heard someone say that about copper fouling. I know for most of my precision bolt guns, I usually just run a little bit of hoppes 9 down the barrel, then run patches till they come up blank. I always thought about using some kind of dedicated copper fouling removal liquid, but was advised against it

but to keep things on point, did you just leave the crock pot on low, fill with FL liquid above the parts and let it sit there for three hours?

KiloXray
04-09-12, 20:09
I sort of did my own, el cheapo make shift crock pot method.

I went to walmart and got a rectangular brad loaf baking tin for like 4 bucks. It looks like this:

http://media.brandalley.com/rayons/350x350/594085_1.jpg

I got 4 of the little tubs of Froglube paste. (Not cheap I know, but I figure it will last a LONG time.) Anyway, I just throw this tin on a burner on my stove at very low heat till it melts, then I drop my parts in. Voilà! Instant crock pot for 5 bucks. Plus I wanted something that was sort of narrow and deep so that less froglube was needed for it to be deep enough submerge parts.

This method works very well. Parts get warm, completely coated, and I'm not having to sit there with a hairdryer. I let everything sit in the tin for about an hour or whenever I happen to get back to the kitchen. I pull them out and let them cool off. I patch out the barrrels, and wipe off the excess for the parts that dont need it. I tend to let the carrier stay heavily coated. This seems to work well, the rifle will splatter it around as it gets hot from use.

FL has been pretty good for me so far. Last Friday, I ran 390 rounds through my DDXVM in about 1.5 hours without a single hiccup. I am impressed thus far.

feedramp
04-09-12, 21:06
So you let it sit on the stove under low flame for an hour? Or you heat the paste 'til it's liquid, then shut off the burner and let it sit for an hour?

bp7178
04-09-12, 21:30
Just put it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time if you want the lube to really thin out or if the consistency is chunky.

ComradeBoris
04-10-12, 08:05
Just got mine yesterday. Got home from school and tossed my Gen1 Glock 17 and 16" AR in the sink with hot soapy water. Following that They went into the oven @160F until dry. The Froglube went in with it to heat it up. A brush was used to apply and I let all parts dry before reassembly. Unfortunately it will probably be a month before I get to shoot them as I have no time from here till the end of the semester to get out there and do some training.

Question: I know household ammonia can remove copper. Will the ammonia and froglube interact in a negative way like petrol basted products?

bp7178
04-10-12, 08:21
I've always degreased before removing copper, and after removing the copper used the degreaser again to flush out the bore.

That being said, I think there are better options for removing copper than straight ammonia.

KG2 does a wonderful job of it.

ComradeBoris
04-10-12, 08:30
correction, I meant 10% ammonia, but I will look into the product you mentioned.

Gargoyle
04-10-12, 22:08
I'm going to try muzzleloader lube, which I suspect will work the same. I'll let yall know how it works.

justlikeanyoneelse
04-19-12, 03:46
I like that idea a lot.

on another note, did you guys get this stuff on the buffer (and spring), and down in the trigger as well?

Thanks its good to know the tip helped people out, I never could justify buying a crock pot for firearms.

And yes to your question; I FL zip locked the buffer, buffer spring, and trigger, plus all the other internal components. I only fire suppressed and as suppressor users will tell you, it gets dirty everywhere very fast. FL makes cleaning a hell of a lot easier, fouling just wipes away. So far zero issues.

Hope it helps.

WS6
04-19-12, 03:56
Best method is still the crock pot, but that may not be an option for most folks.

Last week we took a 11.5" DI carbine with a suppressor to the range for testing. The bolt carrier group was "crock potted" for 3 hours. No extra lube was applied.

We shot 200 rounds suppressed through it. Later that day we broke it down for cleaning. The bolt carrier group was easily cleaned by simply wiping it down. The only carbon left was a small amount on the bolt tail. I have never had a M4 clean up so easily.

Being able to quickly clean a weapon may be important to some folks.

My next test will be with a AK 74 that I treated the same. I want to fire Russian surplus ammo through it, to see how the lube protects it from the corrosive nature of the ammo, especially here in humid Texas.

The only downside to FL or SEAL 1 is that is doesn't seem to remove copper fouling as well as I want.

NOTE- I am using SEAL 1, but it is basically the same as Frog Lube and I don't see why FL won't have the same results.

I just put the parts in my oven at @150*F and then take them out, slather them in it, then place them back in the oven until excess runs off.

Have you tried Froglube/S1 on any kind of "piston"? I am wondering how it will do keeping fouling from an AK47 or Benelli M4 piston setup. I am OCD about cleaning and always clean my firearms completely. Including pointless removal of ALL fouling. Hoping it will expedite.

justlikeanyoneelse
04-19-12, 04:25
Have you tried Froglube/S1 on any kind of "piston"? I am wondering how it will do keeping fouling from an AK47 or Benelli M4 piston setup. I am OCD about cleaning and always clean my firearms completely. Including pointless removal of ALL fouling. Hoping it will expedite.

I can relate on the OCD haha and give you some first hand experience with FL versus pistons. Currently running and CLP'ing an HK416 10.4 upper with FL. In my experience FL does not do well with the piston. The carbon fouling is really difficult to get off even with FL. I've cleaned that piston with my brush and FL for hours but didn't really have that "wipe off amazing effect" FL has on other parts. Tried the zip lock bag method and more time on cleaning and that made some significant improvements. In summary though I have to say the piston will still be a harder to clean part even with FL.

WS6
04-19-12, 04:52
I can relate on the OCD haha and give you some first hand experience with FL versus pistons. Currently running and CLP'ing an HK416 10.4 upper with FL. In my experience FL does not do well with the piston. The carbon fouling is really difficult to get off even with FL. I've cleaned that piston with my brush and FL for hours but didn't really have that "wipe off amazing effect" FL has on other parts. Tried the zip lock bag method and more time on cleaning and that made some significant improvements. In summary though I have to say the piston will still be a harder to clean part even with FL.

I figured as much. At least, when FL burns, it leaves no residue or soot to add to the problem.

skullworks
04-19-12, 13:19
I can relate on the OCD haha and give you some first hand experience with FL versus pistons. Currently running and CLP'ing an HK416 10.4 upper with FL. In my experience FL does not do well with the piston.
Does it do better or worse than any other product you have used on that platform?

TX Rancher
04-19-12, 17:33
I don't have an HK416 but I have used FL on other piston rifles and it worked as good as the other lubes I've tried.

As was stated, it still takes elbow grease and time to clean up the piston, but I suspect anything you use will leave residue behind when exposed to gases/carbon that hot.

williejc
04-19-12, 19:07
Recently, I was working outside using a super adhesive(Liquid Nails)and clumsily got a large amount on one hand. I had no cloth or paper towel to wipe the stuff off. Looking around I saw my bottle of Frob Lube and used it to successfully remove the chemical adhesive.

Also, the stuff continues to work well on my weapons.

WS6
04-19-12, 20:00
I don't have an HK416 but I have used FL on other piston rifles and it worked as good as the other lubes I've tried.

As was stated, it still takes elbow grease and time to clean up the piston, but I suspect anything you use will leave residue behind when exposed to gases/carbon that hot.

Froglube burns off clean. No residue. Of course, there is residue in the gasses hitting the piston, and apparently it doesn't stop those from sticking--it just doesn't add its own fouling like many other lubes will.

justlikeanyoneelse
04-19-12, 22:08
Does it do better or worse than any other product you have used on that platform?

I previously used TW25B and that didn't really help at all with the piston fouling, however FL is much better in my experience. Specifically FL dissolved carbon little by little on contact, TW25B never did that.

Also +1 to WS6, FL burns clean and leaves no residue which is great.

Forgot to mention, Break Free CLP was the worst. Not knocking the product, the results were just sub par for me.

usmc45
04-19-12, 22:24
Has anyone here used both FL and Slip 2000? And if so, which one works better? Thanks.

stalker3
04-19-12, 23:10
Has anyone here used both FL and Slip 2000? And if so, which one works better? Thanks.

Yes, I ended up sticking to Slip as it doesn't separate in the bottle, and maintains the same consistency across a wide range of temperatures.

Cleaning was also easier with Slip EWL.

The FL is very good though.

WS6
04-19-12, 23:15
Yes, I ended up sticking to Slip as it doesn't separate in the bottle, and maintains the same consistency across a wide range of temperatures.

Cleaning was also easier with Slip EWL.

The FL is very good though.

Seal 1 will not separate in the bottle.

bp7178
04-19-12, 23:16
I thought cleaning was easier with Froglube, and it didn't seem to cook off as much as EWG.

EWG is more consistent as the other poster said, but i'm not sure how significant this is. The only time I think this would be a problem would be extreme cold.

I also like how Froglube doesn't run as much as EWG. Of course, this is a componet of the changing viscosity.

usmc45
04-19-12, 23:25
Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like im going to stick to the Slip 2000. Happy shooting.

Shiz
04-19-12, 23:35

I am using both. I am teaching a class tomorrow, and have "treated" my carbines with FL. I should be able to run fine through the class. (about 400-500 rnds) but I am taking Slip....just in case.

stalker3
04-19-12, 23:58
I thought cleaning was easier with Froglube, and it didn't seem to cook off as much as EWG.

EWG is more consistent as the other poster said, but i'm not sure how significant this is. The only time I think this would be a problem would be extreme cold.

I also like how Froglube doesn't run as much as EWG. Of course, this is a componet of the changing viscosity.

I've never tried the EWG so no experience there.

The thing I mentioned with the changing viscosity is probably more of a peeve. For example, in a Kyle Defoor class when it was pouring all weekend. I was using FL and it would heat up, get thin, run, and then cool back down and thicken (due to rain) wherever it ran to. It also cooled down and settled with brass particles, dirt and carbon mixed in. I WILL NOT say that the FL caused any issues... but at the same time I did have 4 malfunctions during that class with gun/mags/ammo that ran 100% before and after that.

Just a personal thing, stemming from deployments overseas I've come to like thin lubes like EWL. They do run quite a bit, but that also carries sand and other junk out with it.

Haven't tried SEAL 1 either. I gave Froglube a fair shot as I had had won about $100 worth in a local match. Honestly though, I like SLIP so much that I don't see the need to look elsewhere. I like spray bottles, too. :)

bp7178
04-20-12, 00:28
I have a bottle of both currently. I'm using the Froglube now, and when it runs out I'll finish up the EWG.

Both seem to work. I'll deal with what to buy next when the time comes.

feedramp
04-20-12, 01:51
Picked up some FL. All it needs to do is perform reasonably close to as good as a typical CLP product and it's good enough for me, since the best part is the lack of carcinogens and whatever else the other cleaners typically contain.

ComradeBoris
04-27-12, 21:21
Didn't want to start a new thread, but for you who use Slip and are trying froglube, there doesn't seem to be the reaction as is claimed with the other petrol based products. That isn't to sat there is no reaction, but if Slip is all you use (me) then it seems alright to not have to heiniously scrub your weapon for FL application.

mallowpufft
04-27-12, 23:25
Does anyone know where to find a small/sample size container of froglube?
It seems like mostly good stuff and a great lube but my penny pinching butt is having a hard time dropping 18 bucks + shipping to give it a whirl.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

ComradeBoris
04-28-12, 10:01
I got the paste from amazon for 9.00 for a 4oz bottle. You don't need any of the other stuff they try and sell with it. Find a nylon brush and clean it with hot soap and water and make sure it is dry before using it. other than that I started by washing all my handguns in simple green and drying them in the oven. Once dry I spread the paste on and let them stay in the oven for 5 but not more than 10 minutes and set them out to dry. the only excess I wiped off was the stuff on the outside (this can affect being able to rack the slide easily so i tried to get as much off as possible) If you want to use a microfiber cloth you can, if you want to use coffee filter (they are lint free) they work too. YMMV, but the paste spreads quite easily and given that the slip and FL seem to play well together I don't think I am going to be getting any of the liquid since Slip does better (slightly) on 4-ball wear test and the corrosion test here on our very own M4Carbine.net. I don't think FL is at all bad and it seems thus far in the few hundred rounds I have fired on various weapons to clean up well and it certainly doesn't seem to do any worse than others in functioning.

mallowpufft
04-28-12, 13:15
I got the paste from amazon for 9.00 for a 4oz bottle. You don't need any of the other stuff they try and sell with it. Find a nylon brush and clean it with hot soap and water and make sure it is dry before using it. other than that I started by washing all my handguns in simple green and drying them in the oven. Once dry I spread the paste on and let them stay in the oven for 5 but not more than 10 minutes and set them out to dry. the only excess I wiped off was the stuff on the outside (this can affect being able to rack the slide easily so i tried to get as much off as possible) If you want to use a microfiber cloth you can, if you want to use coffee filter (they are lint free) they work too. YMMV, but the paste spreads quite easily and given that the slip and FL seem to play well together I don't think I am going to be getting any of the liquid since Slip does better (slightly) on 4-ball wear test and the corrosion test here on our very own M4Carbine.net. I don't think FL is at all bad and it seems thus far in the few hundred rounds I have fired on various weapons to clean up well and it certainly doesn't seem to do any worse than others in functioning.

Thanks. I don't know why but I had only checked Brownell's. I hadn't looked at amazon. Wish I had looked earlier in the week before I ordered some other stuff from them.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

DIRTMAN556
05-22-12, 21:02
Picked up a 4 oz paste tub at the gun show this past weekend. Will try it on the sig 522, since that's easily the dirtiest rifle in my arsenal next to the shotty.

The missus approved the smell by giving it a "hmmm, not bad." Already a bonus there.

Its funny how Froglube promotes its bio-friendly features, yet its users [us] most likely shoot poisonous led and burn-off dangerous fumes. I suppose eliminating just a tiny factor is better than nothing.

Off the lubing some frogs. . .

feedramp
05-25-12, 18:30

skullworks
05-25-12, 18:55
Any internal parts in particular that shouldn't get nice and wet with the Froglube or should be wiped dry afterward other than the firing pin face?
None (as in go ahead and use it everywhere).

DIRTMAN556
05-27-12, 22:56
Gimmie some of that Froglube!

Liked the stuff so much, I went ahead and lubed the AR after the SIG 522. Prepped with rubbing alcohol as well.

Now still need to lube the shotty and shoot the things.

Brahmzy
05-27-12, 23:14
Anybody have experience with Weapon Shield? It been my main lube for a few years now and I've been real pleased with it's performance, except the runny mess and smell. Anybody go from WS to Froglube?

Thinking of trying out some of this stuff.

Iraqgunz
05-28-12, 00:53
I was a big user and fan of Weapon Shield and Slip2000 until I started using Froglube. It's been 1 year now and I am not looking back.

Anybody have experience with Weapon Shield? It been my main lube for a few years now and I've been real pleased with it's performance, except the runny mess and smell. Anybody go from WS to Froglube?

Thinking of trying out some of this stuff.

restfortheweary
05-28-12, 04:30
I've used Weaponshield for years and never had any issues with lubrication. So far Froglube hasn't done anything that Weaponshield couldn't, but I can sit in the front of my patrol car, after cleaning my rifle and pistol, and not want to throw up from fumes. I love Froglube!

justlikeanyoneelse
05-28-12, 16:54
Anyone use the new premium version yet? If so anything better about it?

feedramp
05-31-12, 21:00
How much lube should be used forward of the chamber, into and down the barrel? I just took a patch soaked lightly with FL and ran it down the barrel once. Good enough?

IYAAYASwarrior
05-31-12, 21:04
How much lube should be used forward of the chamber, into and down the barrel? I just took a patch soaked lightly with FL and ran it down the barrel once. Good enough?

That's all I have done. Seems to be working just fine. I have about 2K down the pipe.

gbackus
05-31-12, 23:09
I was a big user and fan of Weapon Shield and Slip2000 until I started using Froglube. It's been 1 year now and I am not looking back.

are you using froglube on aluminum framed pistols? I switched back to weaponshield after experiencing significant frame wear on several aluminum framed pistols in less than 200 rounds; one beretta in general had like new rails after almost 3000 rounds(used weaponshield since brand new), and within 50 rounds of using froglube the anodizing has worn significantly.

jmoney
06-10-12, 13:49
are you using froglube on aluminum framed pistols? I switched back to weaponshield after experiencing significant frame wear on several aluminum framed pistols in less than 200 rounds; one beretta in general had like new rails after almost 3000 rounds(used weaponshield since brand new), and within 50 rounds of using froglube the anodizing has worn significantly.

thats surprising to hear, my glock and m&P show very little wear after at least 1k rounds. They run smoother and are extremely easy to clean now.

just applied it to my entire ddm4 and ran it today, I would be shocked to find wear increasing considering how slick everything runs after a couple shots.

Locutus
06-10-12, 15:27

I read this after returning from the USPSA match at Quantico and decided to examine my pistol closely with an eye for wear on the anodized rails. I shoot a Sig Sauer P229 which has an aluminum frame and I've now shot two matches lubed with Froglube paste. At roughly 400 rounds using Froglube, it's obviously not a torture test, but I can say that I see no wear in the anodizing than I ever noticed before.

C.Edwards
06-13-12, 14:12
I guess with 24 pages of replies it is worth trying. Besides i'm about out of Breakfree CLP anyway.

After the initial application are you guys not using any other cleaner?

badness
06-13-12, 14:14
I guess with 24 pages of replies it is worth trying. Besides i'm about out of Breakfree CLP anyway.

They convinced me. Hopefully the damn thing works out good because i just received my GALLON bucket of frog lube.

C.Edwards
06-13-12, 14:20
They convinced me. Hopefully the damn thing works out good because i just received my GALLON bucket of frog lube.

Sell me an ounce or 2 to help recoup some of your costs :dance3:

jmoney
06-13-12, 14:30
You won't regret it, everything I have runs so flawlessly since I started using it, clean up is easy. I might try to remove copper fouling every year or but I don't plan on using any other cleaners.

IPApilot
06-13-12, 15:04
I've switched to Frog Lube and I'm happy with it. I just ran my pistol and carbine in a two day Vickers course and they ran great.

My question is this: What are you guys using to "flush" large amounts of crud out of your guns when you need to do so?

In the past I would use Gun Scrubber but I don't believe it is compatible with Frog Lube.

Thanks in advance.

jmoney
06-13-12, 15:40
I don't have to do that anymore, everything is so slick I just wipe it down with a rag, re apply some liquid on the bcg and slap it together

bp7178
06-13-12, 16:41
I've switched to Frog Lube and I'm happy with it. I just ran my pistol and carbine in a two day Vickers course and they ran great.

My question is this: What are you guys using to "flush" large amounts of crud out of your guns when you need to do so?

In the past I would use Gun Scrubber but I don't believe it is compatible with Frog Lube.

Thanks in advance.

Gun Scrubber, and products like it, are a degreaser. They will break down and strip any oil on the parts.

With frog lube, and even Slip 2000, I just put more oil on the parts and brush it, wipe off and re-oil. There isn't a big need to strip all the oil off unless you are doing a very through cleaning.

mdrums
06-13-12, 16:59
Doesn't Larry Vickers use tw25b along with either Mil-Tech or Ballistoll?

Abraxas
06-13-12, 17:11

Can I ask why? I have been switching back and forth and have not yet made up my mind. The thread on corrosion here on M4 makes me lean towards WS, but I have been using FL more here of late because of the pregnant wife's sensitive nose. Both have done well for me and I just cant decide which one I like better. I do like FL seems to not collect dust as bad. Anyway like I said before what was the deciding factor for you?

MrSmitty
06-13-12, 17:40

Nope. Just a wipe down and quick reapplication every thousand rounds. I run some copper solvent and a brush down the bore every 3k or so.

I do not recommend using Gunscrubber with it, I tried it once and the FL almost solidified. Turned into a mess.

AggiePhil
06-13-12, 19:54
How is the FrogLube better than red lithium grease? IIRC, it can be removed with Gun Scrubber.

Littlelebowski
06-13-12, 20:04
How is the FrogLube better than red lithium grease? IIRC, it can be removed with Gun Scrubber.

It's not and definitely not for any reason stated by real world users in this very thread.

MrSmitty
06-13-12, 20:32

I use non-chlorinated Brakleen to remove FL if I need to. Regular old rubbing alcohol and Slip 725 work well too.

DIRTMAN556
06-13-12, 22:32
If any of you ever wonder what Froglube smells like. Imagine a smoker who pops an altoid. My buddy did just that and I said "HEY! You smell like Froglube!"

The stuff is great, lubed up the shotgun with it. Liking it so far. I've only used Hoppes #9 to compare.

Iraqgunz
06-14-12, 04:56
I cannot find a downside to it. Thus far it has been very good at lubricating and cleaning. I even used it to clean up some rust on an old firearm and it did a very good job.

It's non-HAZMAT, no flammable, non-toxic and doesn't smell offensive. I like the fact that I can lightly lube my AR or put paste on the BCG and then put it in the corner or the safe until I need it and I won't have shit leaking everywhere.

I also like how it stops the carbon from sticking to the BCG.

Can I ask why? I have been switching back and forth and have not yet made up my mind. The thread on corrosion here on M4 makes me lean towards WS, but I have been using FL more here of late because of the pregnant wife's sensitive nose. Both have done well for me and I just cant decide which one I like better. I do like FL seems to not collect dust as bad. Anyway like I said before what was the deciding factor for you?

TheJRK
06-14-12, 07:26
It's non-HAZMAT, no flammable, non-toxic and doesn't smell offensive.

The smell of it was the biggest selling point for me. To not have my wife complaining about "the smell" every time I cleaned my firearms was well worth it. Now if it could only stop her from nagging me about other things...

skullworks
06-14-12, 07:31
I've also used it on the hinges for my gun safe and to oil the lock on my front door. ;)

Tatatatatatapatalk 2

fallenromeo
06-14-12, 10:08
Anyone use the new premium version yet? If so anything better about it?

I use froglube on all my guns and I love it. But what is this premium version you speak of? I have not heard anything about this.

wetidlerjr
06-14-12, 11:31
Is the the same stuff as BioKleen Soy Lube SL-100?
:confused:

MrSmitty
06-14-12, 11:34
I was at a range in BFE towards the end of winter. Lips were getting a little chapped...a quick swipe of FL paste fixed the issue :thank_you2:

The biggest selling point for me is the fact that it is non-toxic, doesn't run out of the gun if it sits and turns into an oily lube when I need it to. Throw in the pleasant smell and the simplified cleaning and I feel it is perfect for my needs.

Seems that it's corrosion protection properties are lacking but the weapons I use it on don't sit for more than a few days anyway.

LeipersForkFirearms
06-14-12, 14:51
Froglube does exactly what it claims it can... I use the stuff and sell it.....heres some pics of me using it on some 20yr old gate hinges that were stuck, it does a great job cleaning.....it also smells Exactly like wintergreen skoal...or maybe Grizzly lol....use whatever you want to but Froglube is what my guns get

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_P2xE0DVBas/T9IZghpRx2I/AAAAAAAAAnw/JUdtZ-Z4czU/s640/blogger-image-1274574341.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7gT4j35s0rI/T9IZgA_G6HI/AAAAAAAAAno/eAQhWwz0hCc/s640/blogger-image--1348162733.jpg

C.Edwards
06-14-12, 14:54
Who has the best deal on the stuff right now?

I saw on botac you can get the 4oz paste and liquid with a cloth for $25.

Dsm2nr
06-14-12, 16:46
I use MPro7 to clean / degrease my sport bike chain... Then used Froglube for lube. :D

Essentially you want everything for a motorcycle chain that you do for firearms so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Doin good so far.

feedramp
06-14-12, 22:23
I use MPro7 to clean / degrease my sport bike chain... Then used Froglube for lube. :D

Essentially you want everything for a motorcycle chain that you do for firearms so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Doin good so far.

And now those riding behind you thank you for the pleasant odor. :p

wetidlerjr
06-14-12, 22:38
I think I'll try BioKleen Soy Lube SL-100 as it is half (or less) the cost of FL.

samuse
06-15-12, 23:36
It's non-HAZMAT, no flammable, non-toxic and doesn't smell offensive.

Hmm. Sounds like some kind of vegetable oil.

I'll take hydrocarbon based lubes any day.

Iraqgunz
06-15-12, 23:57
To each his own. I am not trying to convert anyone. But, the fact is that it is a good lube and does what it should without any drawbacks I can find.

Hmm. Sounds like some kind of vegetable oil.

I'll take hydrocarbon based lubes any day.

IPApilot
06-18-12, 00:59
IG,

Would you mind telling me, what if anything do you use to flush out large amounts of crud?

I have started using Froglube and I don't want to use Gunscrubber in my guns now.

Thanks in advance,

PS. There was talk of a Froglube brand "cleaner" coming out, any word on it?

IPApilot.

gbackus
06-18-12, 02:27
thats surprising to hear, my glock and m&P show very little wear after at least 1k rounds. They run smoother and are extremely easy to clean now.

just applied it to my entire ddm4 and ran it today, I would be shocked to find wear increasing considering how slick everything runs after a couple shots.

Neither of those are aluminum framed pistols.

And while my guns FEEL fantastic with froglube, I don't think it has any actual anti-wear/high pressure additives in it. YMMV