PDA

View Full Version : Frame and slide for 1911 build

fixit69
08-09-11, 11:43
Going to put together another 1911. Have a box full of mostly ed brown parts, just need frame and slide. Got a real deal on the parts from a guy clearing out his personal collection. Caliber will be another issue, haven't quite decided yet. Money is making me stay away from brown, nighthawk, etc...but there is quality for less money is out there.

Having a hard time deciding on which slide and frame.

I would like to hear any positive experiences that have been put to the test other than colt, para, springfield, rock river and sti, as i have used these in the past. This is going to be a SD/HD/hard use/class pistol, not competition.

So what can you tell me ?

Amp Mangum
08-09-11, 12:01
I'd look at the Caspian frames and slides.

7PI
08-09-11, 12:36

Caspian and STI came to mind first.

Did you look at the 1911 section at Brownells? You should be able to get a fitted frame, slide barrel combo for reasonable money.

Of course as I say that it come to mind that "reasonable," is totally subjective. :alcoholic:

Know your caliber before you buy. Otherwise you may go down a road and not be able to easily turn around.

Ickisrulz
08-09-11, 12:40
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

7PI
08-09-11, 12:40
If you don't mind, it would be great if you could post pics and give us some progress reports as you do the build.

Good luck and have fun!!!

fixit69
08-09-11, 13:24
Heard great things about caspian. Maybe worth a look.

I already have an sti 2011. Just want something different.
Brownells has some good deals, just broadening the search.
Caliber will be determined before puchase.

Will look at fusion.

And yes, as soon as I get started, I'll post pics. Have a feeling this might take a while.

Thanks to all. Keep the ideas rolling in.

7PI
08-09-11, 16:06
FWIW:

I've built a couple Fusion guns. They are nice enough, but...:confused:

I can't say anything bad, but I just seem to prefer the Caspian, STI and Wilson stuff.

fixit69
08-09-11, 16:24
My last build was actually refurbishing a 2011. Turned out very nice.

Have you used caspian. Have no experience with them.

Wilson makes excellent pistols. Hmmm... Have you built on a Wilson frame?

Damn, too many choices.

7PI
08-09-11, 16:36
I just built on a Wilson fitted slide-barrel-receiver set.

It runs great and it was easy to fit. It's off being finished right now, but I ran over 1500 through it beforehand and had only 6 FTFs. Those were during the first 300 or so. Easily the smoothest build I have ever done. Especially since they already did the hard stuff so I could focus on fine tuning the fit of each of the other parts.

I have used Caspian frames and slides a few times. I'm not as good at fitting barrels as I would like to be so I tend to shy away from them now. They may have fitted sets now. I haven't checked them out in a while.

fixit69
08-09-11, 17:21
You and me both on the barrel. Did it once, PITA. I'll stick with the internals.

What did the barrel slide frame set you back?

7PI
08-09-11, 18:01
What did the barrel slide frame set you back?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41017/Product/1911_AUTO_PRE_FIT_SLIDE_FRAME_BARREL_KIT

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/p_965000091_1.jpg

I went with the CS full size set. They list at $859.99. IIRC the total was $799.99 plus shipping.

I have a very good friend that is a KT FFL so I do not pay for transfers.

I am seriously considering doing another one with the "Chen solder in" mag well. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32480/Product/1911_AUTO_MAGWELL_MAINSPRING_HOUSING_KITS

http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/p_100005372_1.jpg

The best part of doing it this way is that the person gets to hand select and fit every single part of the gun. There is no waste.

Essentially I built a CQB to my exact tastes for less than $1500.

fixit69
08-09-11, 18:17
That would look real slick. I'm on my iPhone till I get home. Haven't figured how to post pics and don't know if I can.

The problem I am having with this build is everyone I have done before, I knew exactly what I wanted. They had purposes. This one is going to be all purpose. I am going to run this one hard. Want to make sure I get it right the first time so I don't spend my time fixing mistakes when I should be shooting.

GIJew766
08-09-11, 21:22
Caspian Recon frame and external extractor slide. I've gotten the parts in, just waiting for some cash to free up to send them off to Fusion for Mr. Serva to build the gun to the specs I provided him a while back. My plan is to build a external extractor 1911 that solves the QC problems associated with the pre-E Series S&W guns, as well as the horrible SIG and Kimber EE guns. I figure if anyone can get it right, Fusion can.

Besides, with the EE, you don't need to keep specially fit spare extractors on hand at all times. Externals are drop in and they work fine so long as they are within spec to the original Caspian spec and quality. I believe the EGW extractor is the one Wilson used on the KZ-45, and is the same one Caspian uses. May also be the one on the SIG, but I'm not sure. I'll have to call Caspian and ask.

H

C4IGrant
08-09-11, 21:29

These are good, but require a PROFESSIONAL 1911 gunsmith to assemble them properly.

C4

fixit69
08-09-11, 21:41
Hello again GI.

Like the concept of EE. Drop in anything would be great, if it works. But the theory goes to hell in a handbasket when you throw it in the fire. Everyone I know has cursed the day they bought an EE 1911 for running hard. Is this the case with anyone else?

I guess not with you, your getting one. But what made you start in that direction? Heard good and bad about sig. No clue about egw offering. Enlighten me about your decision.

fixit69
08-09-11, 21:53
And I am far from a professional gunsmith. That is true, Grant.

Do you have a suggestion? I can handle a lot on this platform, but the sooner done, sooner I can shoot. And I suck at barrel fitting.

GIJew766
08-09-11, 21:59
Hello again GI.

Like the concept of EE. Drop in anything would be great, if it works. But the theory goes to hell in a handbasket when you throw it in the fire. Everyone I know has cursed the day they bought an EE 1911 for running hard. Is this the case with anyone else?

I guess not with you, your getting one. But what made you start in that direction? Heard good and bad about sig. No clue about egw offering. Enlighten me about your decision.

I'm a huge fan of Hilton Yam's work in the field of 1911s. The wonderful thing about a properly set up external extractor gun is it cuts down on maintenance and the skill level of the operator. The problem with the SIG EE guns was lack of quality control with the small parts (outsourcing the pin and springs, while getting the extractor itself from EGW). Hilton has run the S&W E Series 1911 pretty well and finds other than a few minor issues, it's a pretty reliable off the rack 1911.

Having a quality smith build an EE gun while maintaining parts quality leads me to believe it should be a more reliable and easier to maintain field-grade gun. I intend to run it hard as soon as it's built, to test Hilton's theories. I know when Wilson made the KZ-45 with the external extractor, it was exceptionally reliable and durable. Doesn't require hand fitting or timing or adjusting the tension and all that. Your extractor breaks? Drop in a new one. Boom.

H

PS: All of my reasons are dependent on a competent, skilled, quality 1911 smith setting the gun up with quality parts. The slide does come into play along with the extractor itself. Think that was another of SIG's issues was their dimensions were slightly off, which made extraction and ejection a bit more difficult that it ought to be.

fixit69
08-09-11, 22:25
True. I would trust Hilton Yam at his word.

But I think, with a gunsmith, the slide, extra parts, I would be straying from the purpose of this particular build. Money will be a big part of the decision making process. The least amount of money for a weapon that will run reliably, and get treated like hell. Thanks GI, you gave it a purpose lol.

But seriously, keep me posted about your build. Yours is now and mine is still evolving. Things can and probably will change.