PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Sig P226

Kliman1216
10-17-11, 17:14
I recently purchased my first firearm, it is a Sig Sauer P226. I took it shooting for the first time the other day. The gun jammed with each of the three magazines I used. The picture in the attachment shows exactly what happened. Any insight anyone may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

KhanRad
10-17-11, 17:22
Is that an empty casing in the chamber, or an unfired cartridge? If it's an empty, it is likely an extractor problem.

GIJew766
10-17-11, 17:36
On zoom, that looks like a double feed malfunction to me. Don't see a strike on the primer.

Regardless, it still seems to be an extractor issue. Either the hook is gone or there is no tension. Odd that it is occurring on a brand new SIG, though. Check the hook of the extractor.

H

KhanRad
10-17-11, 17:43
Odd that it is occurring on a brand new SIG, though.

Not in my experience in the last few years. I've ordered over a hundred various Sigs for my agency in the last two years and I've seen a number of issues with them right out of the box.

Omega Man
10-17-11, 17:48
Sig is using a new vendor for their magazines and some folks at the Sigforum are reporting these kinds of problem's, since the change. Sig used to use MecGar, which is a magazine manufacturer in Italy. MecGar is known to make very high quality pistol mags, but Sig has been pinching pennies. Thus the vendor switch. Your problem could be related to these cheapo mags that Sig's come with now.

GIJew766
10-17-11, 17:53
Not in my experience in the last few years. I've ordered over a hundred various Sigs for my agency in the last two years and I've seen a number of issues with them right out of the box.

Oh no doubt, as I've seen a few P220s have issues, but usually they've been FTE not double feeds. The other recommendation as to the new magazines might be contributing, but I'd still like a better image of the extractor itself.

H

JW1069
10-17-11, 18:44
This is a new pistol, right? Give their customer service a call and explain the problem. If it's an issue with the pistol, they should send you a prepaid shipping label to send in the gun. It may take a week or two, but they'll get it fixed for you.

BigBen66
10-17-11, 19:06
Pistol does not look to be new. The wear on the barrel looks like it has been fired a "few times". Double feed would most likley be a mag problem. But if it is a older weapon it won't hurt to check the extractor.

Roodoodog
10-18-11, 04:26
Sig is using a new vendor for their magazines and some folks at the Sigforum are reporting these kinds of problem's, since the change. Sig used to use MecGar, which is a magazine manufacturer in Italy. MecGar is known to make very high quality pistol mags, but Sig has been pinching pennies. Thus the vendor switch. Your problem could be related to these cheapo mags that Sig's come with now.

I use MecGar's exclusively. Not 1 issue as of yet. As stated above I have also heard several complaints about non Mec mags. Definitely worth looking into.

Kafir
10-18-11, 08:19
Pistol does not look to be new. The wear on the barrel looks like it has been fired a "few times".

Agree...also looks like someone has been inside the pistol as the magazine release is reversed for a lefty if I'm looking at your image correctly.

MegademiC
10-18-11, 09:47
First guess would be extractor. Know anyone else with a sig? Use those mags in another gun, if it works fine, I'd buy an extractor and spring (wolff xtrapower maybe), since they are cheap. If you still have problems then look at mags. If it is in fact new, I'd do everything possible to send it back. If you cant, then I'd do the above.

You could just feel the extractor, it should be hard and hurt to push it with your finger, if not, it may be a weak spring. Also look to see if its chipped/warped, the hook may also be angled out or too shallow. Just some stuff you can look at for free before you spend money.

KhanRad
10-18-11, 10:06
I use MecGar's exclusively. Not 1 issue as of yet. As stated above I have also heard several complaints about non Mec mags. Definitely worth looking into.

I still prefer the old German mags with the dove-tail back. I try to snatch them up when ever I see them.

Kliman1216
10-18-11, 20:14
Thanks everyone for the help. I should have been more specific...the pistol is not brand new, just new to me. Also as far as the jammed round being an empty casing or an un-fired round I really cant remember...I think it was an empty casing but the picture is just a re-creation to illustrate what happened. Also the malfunction happened with three different magazines so I'm pretty sure the problem is with something in the pistol as opposed to something with the springs. Thanks again

F-Trooper05
10-18-11, 22:13
Thanks everyone for the help. I should have been more specific...the pistol is not brand new, just new to me. Also as far as the jammed round being an empty casing or an un-fired round I really cant remember...I think it was an empty casing but the picture is just a re-creation to illustrate what happened. Also the malfunction happened with three different magazines so I'm pretty sure the problem is with something in the pistol as opposed to something with the springs. Thanks again

Check out the round next time to see if it's spent or unfired. That little bit of info is sort of important for diagnosing the problem.