Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns are dangerous. Federal AE223BK Kaboom.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Derek,

Please keep us informed. I am actually kind of surprised how many here are ABSOLUTELY certain as to what happend, based on some pics and a description. I think there are still too many variables here and until the weapon is inspected and the ammo issue is addressed with Federal it's just mass speculation.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score

As soon as I saw the pics I knew...

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Lake City XM193 has the heat marking where the brass necks down, at least all the Federal XM193 and white box Lake City XM193 I have does. Why does that not have the typical heat discolor I'm used to seeing?

Just to admit, I do not know what the heat mark is from or why it is there, I just know I see it evertime I open my ammo. When I look at the picture a few posts up, I instantly noticed that the brass is a constant color and not the same as what I am used to holding/seeing.

Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    The "heat mark" is caused in the manufacturing process when the brass is annealed to soften it somewhat in the neck and shoulder area. Thus, a better gas seal is obtained and the case neck is less likely to split.

Every time the case is reloaded and fired the brass, especially in the neck and shoulder area, work-hardens, so after it has been reloaded a number of times it should be re-annealed. But that does not mean that it needs to be re-annealed every, or every other, or even every third reloading.

Some people who reload tumble their brass just enough to clean it up, in which case the annealing will still be visible. Others, including some commercial reloaders, like their brass to look all bright and shiny, so they tumble it more, which causes the brass to look like the brass in the photo above.

I'm not saying that this is what happened or that the brass was reloaded. I'm just explaining the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post

ETA: I found the carboard box the plastic bag came in. I thought I had thrown it out already which is why I didn't have the LOT # info readily available. I found it in recycling pile. To my surprise, I do feel like an asshole. But after getting the box, I do have a question for Recobs, as to why they are advertising XM-193 but shipping reloaded AE .223

That's uber lame. No matter what the ammo actually is it wasn't what you thought you bought. Anyone have a pic of AE .223 for comparison?
    Last edited by truth; 04-28-09 at 02:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Derek,

Please keep us informed. I am actually kind of surprised how many here are ABSOLUTELY certain as to what happend, based on some pics and a description. I think there are still too many variables here and until the weapon is inspected and the ammo issue is addressed with Federal it's just mass speculation.
    Couldn't agree more.

Federal has been mighty hard to get ahold of.

And LITW, I do not have a set of calipers. sorry.

Feedback Score

And LITW, I do not have a set of calipers. sorry.
    Harbor Freight Tools sells them for $9.95.

Walk into any gun store and use theirs.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Derek_Connor;358656]

/QUOTE]

It is around. It is just not cheap anymore.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Cold Zero;358671]

/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant they were hard to get ahold of on the phone.

Every extension rings and rings, no one answers. Maybe they knew i was coming...

Forgot to update my other post from this morning, after the case was removed headspace was checked, all checked out fine. No excessive or abnormal headspace issues.

Which is impressive considering the round count through the barrel.

LITW, I will see what I can do about calipers. I know someone who's got a real accurate set. I'll honestly try to get some measurements for you, like I said im open to theories, but for someone who is going off 2 or 3 photos and making definitive statements w/out the kit infront of them, is borderline "grey area" for some of us..

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Cold Zero;358671]

/QUOTE]

I think Derek is referring to getting a hold of Federal the company, not Federal ammo.

Feedback Score
    Is there anything left of the neck or shoulder of that case?
    I would think if it was a OOB the shoulder would be blown out kinda like you would make a wild cat. just speculating on this

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    First pic, bolt in battery, completely locked, carrier seated fully forward. Firing pin can reach the primer. Since that is a fired case in the chamber, the FP in this picture is actually to its max forward position, nestled in the firing pin dent in the primer.

Second pic, bolt in battery, completely locked, carrier retracted a bit, not fully seated, but not far enough back to have started rotating and unlocking the bolt. Firing pin is blocked from contacting the primer by a step in the carrier that stops the firing pin's flange. Again-- bolt is completely locked and FP cannot touch the primer. Misses it by a long shot, by design.

Caliper reading from bolt face to where the chamber's feeding radius stops, .210.

Here's Derek's case roughly scaled and superimposed on the second pic from above:
    Last edited by Ned Christiansen; 04-28-09 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Excellent images!!!

I was thinking of this last night. If you take a complete upper off of a gun and flip it upside down; you can cycle the bolt group and see just how impossible an out of battery discharge is.

As Mr. Christiansen points out. the bolt is locked up before the carrier finishes moving forward... WELL before it's even physically possible for the FP to touch the primer.

The bad round from Derrek's gun is simply flowing into the void area where the chamber radiuses out by the bolt lugs.
    Last edited by markm; 04-28-09 at 09:38.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast