Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR)

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Sweet! I'm an '11 too. I've only got 5 1/2 yrs, though.

I talked to a Lt Col and a Capt at Marine Day this year who are involved in the whole IAR T&E. From what I gather the IAR is intended to provide some suppressive fires, internally. Basically, enough to cover a fireteam or squad as they cross a danger area or to lay down enough immediate suppression to gain fire superiority. It's not really intended to be used in a support by fire pos covering platoon movements or anything like that.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    Thats what I was guessing. I had many MOS's but 0311 is the one I am most proud of.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OOH RAH! View Post
    I'm not completely sure but I thought LWRC got the contract. On future weapons Mack was doing training with it. I believe it is the M6A4. LWRC even has the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.lwrci.com/p-130-m6a4.aspx

Sorry I couldn't find a better picture of the EGA but it's on the magwell.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/...px-LWRCIAR.jpg
    I was also an 0311, and worked with the office that did all the testing for the IAR. The LWRC did not make it to the end. The HK416 D did extremely well, and we innitially were just test fire dummies that contractors got data from, but soon starting working with that office to gather more data. This included gathering data from non combat MOS and infantry marines.

The 416 D performed above and beyond. On a benched test it held a 2MOA group using MK262 ammo on full auto, and survived the torture test. (every weapon had 40,0000 rounds fired through it at one point). Weapons where replaced after the torture week.

The only negative aspect of the IAR is that they come with a grip pod(my opinion).

The FN scar was also a pretty good contendor, but it recieved many negative remarks from the test bed in regards to ergonomics. Many Marines would hurt themselves from the reciprocating charging handle, and the accuracy didn't compare to the 416.

The biggest "user" test was shooting on an Echo target with a 5 round magazine. HK416 had a higher number of hits on an echo than any other rifle. Trust me ... not only us, but there were many other people just like us traveling around doing all these tests. The 416 just performed better.
    Noel A. Robleto
    Instructor / Owner
    Virginia Tactical
    noel@virginia-tactical.com
    703-439-9321

Feedback Score
    Really interesting stuff...now here do I get one? ;-)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is funny how the internet is full of stories about how the 416 is a piece of junk, or having a lot of problems, or whatever. But when you have face-to-face, non-internet comparisons, the 416 is always either tied or at the top.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    It is funny how the internet is full of stories about how the 416 is a piece of junk, or having a lot of problems, or whatever. But when you have face-to-face, non-internet comparisons, the 416 is always either tied or at the top.
    For sure greg. I am very new to the "internet forums", but I can imagine there is plenty of garbage. To be honest the best way to get a real good feel for any weapon is a scientific aproach.

Many times Marines survive a gunfight and they say its because of "insert nifty gear here", but we fail to see that we usually win because we are fighting an inferior enemy. Not because we are any good, but we are just good enough.

I feel very strongly that even a guy who has "hands on experience" probably does not have the right experience. I dealt with plenty of those types of people in the Marines, and I am sure i am not 100% fault free myself. I still discover things about my "ways" and how they are not as efficient as other "ways".
    Noel A. Robleto
    Instructor / Owner
    Virginia Tactical
    noel@virginia-tactical.com
    703-439-9321

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    [*]The Marine Corps has never liked the M4. I would not be surprised to see the few Marines who use the M4 be issued this instead.[/LIST]
    I'm not sure where you get your info from but the M4 is the prefered weapon in a rifle platoon. If you have ever worn an MTV you will realize that the fixed lenght of pull of the A4 combined with the 1.5 inch eye relief of the TA-31 combine to make an awful combination. The IAR will replace the SAW in the automatic rifleman role in the fireteam. The beauty of the SAW is that it is a light machine gun, unfortunatly most SAW gunners know almost nothing about machine gunnery. Also the flex mount that is required to attatch a SAW to a tripod is a rare find. If you attatch a SAW to a tripd you turn a weapon that was originally classified as non-fixed fires into a fixed-fires weapon. In fire and manuver this is a big bonus. But if you don't have the necessary SL-3 to employ a light machine gun as a machinegun it becomes a heavy and awkward automatic rifle.
    Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    they should just get collapsibles for their M16A4s. Easy fix to that issue

Feedback Score
    You are missing the point of the rifle.

Feedback Score
    You are referring to the M16A4. I am referring to the M4 carbine.
    My information comes from a career in Marine Corps Infantry starting in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Keydet08 View Post
    I'm not sure where you get your info from but the M4 is the prefered weapon in a rifle platoon. If you have ever worn an MTV you will realize that the fixed lenght of pull of the A4 combined with the 1.5 inch eye relief of the TA-31 combine to make an awful combination. The IAR will replace the SAW in the automatic rifleman role in the fireteam. The beauty of the SAW is that it is a light machine gun, unfortunatly most SAW gunners know almost nothing about machine gunnery. Also the flex mount that is required to attatch a SAW to a tripod is a rare find. If you attatch a SAW to a tripd you turn a weapon that was originally classified as non-fixed fires into a fixed-fires weapon. In fire and manuver this is a big bonus. But if you don't have the necessary SL-3 to employ a light machine gun as a machinegun it becomes a heavy and awkward automatic rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast