Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Level III Patrol Armor Test

Feedback Score
    He says he'd like to know about the plates and the soft, so I consider that "both".

7.62x54R and 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

I called them today and it looks like the plate is not available yet. Anyone know where I can get the PPI 10x12” triple-curve Level III/IV ICW IIIa model 2518 (2518)??

Feedback Score
    Recently, Ceradyne single-curve “Hard Ballistic Armor Insert: Body Armor Hard Small Arms Protective PRU-61A/P22P-15” (PRU) have become available to LE via DRMO/1033 programs, however no terminal performance data on common LE threats was readily available. We were asked to test these plates, unfortunately, due to unexpected range repair issues, our testing program has been quite limited that past several months. Fortunately, a nearby LE agency helped facilitate this test.

Plate weights and construction are as follows:

PRU: 7.4 lbs—what appears to be 9.5 mm aluminum oxide backed by 8 layers of stiff, resin reinforced loosely woven ballistic fibers.

The plates were tested in exactly the same manner as previously discussed.

TEST RESULTS:

PRU: (one plate used for 5.56 mm shots; second plate used for .30 caliber hits; third plate used for additional 5.56 mm shots and 12 ga slug)
    3 shots M193 successfully stopped by the plate.
    3 shots of M855 successfully stopped by the plate
    2 shots of LeMas successfully stopped by the plates; however 4 shots of LeMas perforated the plates and underlying soft armor
    3 shots of M43 successfully stopped by the plate (note that the recovered projectile remnants were discovered in the LAST layer of ballistic material…)
    3 shots of M67 successfully stopped by the plate
    1 shot of M80 successfully stopped by the plate; 2 shots perforated the plate and were stopped by the underlying soft armor.
    1 shot of 12 ga slug successfully stopped by the plate

Projectile Penetration Protection: While these plates were able to stop both M193 and M855, they did not offer adequate protection against the higher velocity 5.56 mm varmint projectile or the M43 or M80 .30 caliber threats.

Back Face Deformation: These plates had mild BFD compared to other plate types.

Spall: Like other plates using ceramic layers, these plates exhibited a fairly extensive amount of spall.

Plate Weight: These were among the heavier plates compared to previously tested armor.

Durability: These plates use significant amounts of ceramic and may be more fragile than non-ceramic containing designs.

Annual X-ray Assessment: These plates should have a yearly x-ray analysis to assess for hidden cracks in the ceramic elements.

Cost: Free from DRMO...

BOTTOM LINE:

The Ceradyne single-curve PRU-61A/P22P-15 SAPI plates do NOT appear to be reliably capable of stopping all level III threats commonly faced by LE officers and would not be a good choice if other alternatives are available.

Feedback Score
    Recently, Tactical Armor Products Gamma Plus single-curve Level III plates (TAP) have become available to LE via DRMO/1033 programs. A newer triple curve version of these plates is also available commercially for a very low cost.

Plate weights and construction are as follows:

TAP: 4.9 lbs—what appears to be 4.5 mm aluminum oxide backed by compressed polyethelene (likely Dyneema or Spectra) with a total plate thickness of approximately 1 inch.

The plates were tested in exactly the same manner as previously discussed.

TEST RESULTS:

TAP: (one plate used for 5.56 mm shots; second plate used for .30 caliber hits; third plate used for additional AP shots and 12 ga slug)
    3 shots M193 successfully stopped by the plate.
    3 shots of M855 successfully stopped by the plate
    3 shots of LeMas successfully stopped by the plate
    3 shots of M43 successfully stopped by the plate
    3 shots of M67 successfully stopped by the plate
    3 shots of M80 successfully stopped by the plate
    1 shot of 12 ga slug successfully stopped by the plate
    3 shots of SSA 70 gr AP perforated the plates and underlying soft armor

Projectile Penetration Protection: The TAP plates offered level III PPP on par with the TenH plates previously tested.

Back Face Deformation: These plates had larger BFD, similar to the previously tested TenH plates--soft armor backing is highly recommended.

Spall: The TAP plates exhibited a moderate amount of spall.

Plate Weight: These were among the lighter plates compared to previously tested level III armor.

Durability: The TAP plates thin ceramic layer is susceptible to fracturing; several of the plates we tested exhibited small chips and cracks in the ceramic on arrival. These plates require careful handling and storage to prevent damage.

Annual X-ray Assessment: The TAP plates should have a yearly x-ray analysis to assess for hidden cracks in the ceramic elements.

Cost: Free from DRMO...

The newer TAP triple curve plate is $149.95 via commercial procurement: http://www.triadtactical.com/P...l-III-ICW-10x12.html

BOTTOM LINE:

The TAP Gamma Plus single-curve plates are capable of stopping all level III threats commonly faced by LE officers, including both 5.56 mm M193 55 gr FMJ and 5.56 mm M855 62 gr FMJ.

DISCUSSION:

The TAP Gamma Plus plates provide an impressive level of penetration protection, given their relatively light weight and low cost. Use of soft armor underneath these plates is strongly suggested due to BFD. The downside to these plates is their relative fragility--these are not plates you want to casually throw into the trunk of a patrol car under several hundred pounds of gear. In addition, as with other plates using ceramic elements, if shot spacing is closer than 2 inches, the TAP plate is likely to fail. Annual radiographic assessment of these plates is a prudent measure…

Feedback Score
    Doc,

You've added a few plates since the last time I read the thread. Our department just bought some new Pointblank Level IIIA vests that have the pouches in front and back for large plates. Which should we be looking into and try to get prices for?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    wow, that Gamma sounds like a nice option, especially given the price. Too bad Triad does LE only on armor sales, and appears to be out of stock anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Too bad Triad does LE only on armor sales
    No, they don't. They require "credentials," but did you catch the disclaimer? Other credential options are available so contact Triad if you have questions about the policy. I suggest you drop them a line or give them a call; you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at what they accept for creds from non-mil/LE type folks. I bought a set of soft armor inserts for my Eagle PC from Triad a couple years ago with no problems.
    Last edited by shooter521; 07-08-10 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hmmm, I could have sworn I emailed them once before about plates they were selling and was told "LE only". Must have been another vendor then.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Doc,

Any thoughts on the Protech 2110 level III plate?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

Seeking vendor for MSA/Paraclete (MSA) armor

Thank you to all for the outstanding information in this thread.

I'm interested in purchasing the MSA/Parclete armor tested. Can anybody point to a reliable vendor please who cell to civilians. I have Googled extensively and have come up dry.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast