Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5 Kino+ ... My plan for a Kino build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

12.5 Kino+ ... My plan for a Kino build

So.... I'm kicking around an 11.5" traditional vs a 12.5" Kino or rather free float 12.5" with a barrel mounted front sight (Kino+). In my other thread, Rob_s was kind enough to point out the weight of the Kino is it's biggest down fall, and he's right. A lot of setups can get very heavy very quickly. This is relative of course, a "heavy" 12.5" Kino is still going to be lighter than a standard 16" with A2. Just not as light as a free float 12.5 with a folding sight.

The other issue with the Kino is I do plan on an XPS3 or a T1. So the fixed front A2 sight really might not be ideal, MIGHT. So I'm considering a folding barrel mounted sight. PRI, ARMS, Wilson, etc instead. Now along these lines, since the front sight is NOT the gas block, I don't really see the mission critical stance on having it pinned, a cross bolt clamp on seems fine in this case. It's just going to be a backup after all.

My build idea is below. I want a Go-To gun that's just ready all the time. Not a PDW, not a rifle, just a nice carbine that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I will be suppressing it, and I guess if that W.A.R. receiver ever comes around I'll probably want that for gas regulation.

• Apex extended midlength handguard
    • Clamp-on A2, PRI Folding, or ARMS 41b folding front sight
    • Centurion 12.5" CHF barrel (the only CHF I can find in the profile I want)
    • vltor low pro at carbine position
    • standard forged upper
    • surefire x300 or other

The other build I am considering is a 11.5" CHF, Wilson TRIM rail, folding sight, low profile gas block. Between the two, I calculated a approx 2oz weight difference in the 11.5" flavor. So, I'm not really considering this much as I lose quite a bit in range and money, then only save a couple ounces and an inch.

Am I making a mistake with my proposed setup? Is a traditional 11.5" better in some way I am not realizing? I would consider a 12.5" traditional, but I really am not crazy about the length of barrel past the handguard, it's completely lame of me, I know.

I figured I would probably try a clamp-on A2 first and if it was in the way I'd get a folding. On the folding I still need to start a thread about PRI vs ARMS 41b, but if anyone has opinions... ?

Anything else I might be missing? Thanks
    Last edited by Noodles; 02-29-12 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh, I forgot. The apex guard is because I'm trying desperately to avoid quad rails. I don't need the extra weight, plus the weight of the rail covers. I'm over the Troy barrel nut in a big way, so they are out. The apex looks pretty good imo.

Here is a photoshop of what I'm considering

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Why the apex over something carbon fiber?

I would go with the 12.5" over the 11.5" you will gain better ballistics with only a 1" gain. You could make up for the 2oz gain by using carbon fiber.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMonkey View Post
    Why the apex over something carbon fiber?

I would go with the 12.5" over the 11.5" you will gain better ballistics with only a 1" gain. You could make up for the 2oz gain by using carbon fiber.
    To be honest, I hadn't looked at any carbon guards. The main reasons I like the Apex are is very light, good reviews, factory barrel nut which in my opinion while not great for accuracy is good for its application, integrated QD sockets, extended length, built in texture, I like the look.

I'll putt around for some carbon alternatives.

Agreed on the 12.5" though. If I want really short, I'll do a 9" 300blk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am going to be doing a 10.5" LMT upper with the Apex Extended Carbine hand guard. Should be a pretty sweet upper. Maybe something else to consider if you want to run the Apex hand guard with a fsb but go shorter than 12.5".

How long of a barrel do you have to go to to get a mid-length gas system on it? Could you do it on a 12.5" barrel?
    Last edited by rjacobs; 02-29-12 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I am going to be doing a 10.5" LMT upper with the Apex Extended Carbine hand guard. Should be a pretty sweet upper. Maybe something else to consider if you want to run the Apex hand guard with a fsb but go shorter than 12.5".

How long of a barrel do you have to go to to get a mid-length gas system on it? Could you do it on a 12.5" barrel?
    I wanted to avoid 10.5" because of the concussion and blast. 12.5" isn't much better I guess, a little easier on cans at least. But I apprecaite other people are also looking into apex.

I have seen people write 12.5 midlength works, and I own 13.7" mid, but I really don't think the advantages are there unless its at least 14.5".

But yea, Kino is 12.5 carbine with an fsb also. Allows carbine with a midlength handguard

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I wanted to avoid 10.5" because of the concussion and blast. 12.5" isn't much better I guess, a little easier on cans at least. But I apprecaite other people are also looking into apex.
    Mine will mostly only be shot suppressed except for a few months between getting my SBR stamp and my suppressor stamp. That or when I just want to make some noise and scare some people.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't recommend these - "Clamp-on A2, PRI Folding, or ARMS 41b folding front sight." They are not of the greatest quality and can cause reliability/function issues (not to mention not hitting your target). You're better off with a set of of folding buis or keeping the A2 FS.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I'm over the Troy barrel nut in a big way, so they are out.
    The Troy Alpha series rails use a standard barrel nut. They are now available with or without an integrated front sight.
    I will also go against the idea of a clamp on front sight.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMonkey View Post
    You could make up for the 2oz gain by using carbon fiber.
    you sure about that? What two, exact and specific, handguards are you comparing?

For the record, I have just over 1k rounds on a Lancer CF handguard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast