Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 464 SPX

Feedback Score

Mossberg 464 SPX

Has anyone else seen the 464 spx on the Mossberg site? Tactical .30-.30 lever action. 16.25 in barrel, 3x rails (bottom, and both sides of hand guard) fiber optic sites, and adjustable butt stock?! (I wonder if a CTR stock for a commercial buffer tube would just slap right on.....)

I wanted to get a .300aac handi-rifle when it came out, but I might have to give this a try instead. I love my brothers old Winchester .30-.30. Initial google product search leads me to believe under $400 when it hits stores.

Obviously it is a bit of a gimic. But for something that would only come out of the safe on range days, and for fun.... Makes me smile a little bit to think about a "tactical" lever gun. I don't doubt it would be a good little rifle either. Easily better than a single shot in .300 AAC for the same kind of money.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes I've seen it and why anyone would buy it is beyond my reasonable comprehension. I view it as a complete joke.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Yes I've seen it and why anyone would buy it is beyond my reasonable comprehension. I view it as a complete joke.
    Can you elaborate on your views a little more? That is a strong judgment with no details on why you feel that way.

My feelings on it are this. It is a .30-.30 with an adjustable butt stock (good if multiple people/family members wanted to use it), FO sights (easy for all to see), and if you had any spare AR accessories (rail mount bi-pod? light? laser?) you could tack them on, or leave the stock and loose the rails. I don't consider it to be a serious gun in the terms that I would grab it if I heard a bump in the night, but I don't find the idea that laughable either. Like I said, it could be a fun range gun, or even for hunting (at night if you had a light on there....), .30-.30 is plenty for most game.

For a low cost, it would be a way more useful tool than at single shot, or AR-pistol or something like that. Being a lever gun, it just has that level of practicality, while still being a novelty. I kind of think of it like the S&W R8 of lever guns. Only way less expensive.

Does anyone care to have anything fun in their safe anymore?

(I have no plans on buying one currently it would be FAR back on the list.... just thought it was a fun looking rifle)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You cant be serious. Have you seen the stock? I cant even see how its shootable, you'll have to have a chin weld to see the sights.

Dont get me wrong, i love lever actions and the 30-30 cartridge. But the new mossberg is a p.o.s. Get a 336 or 94'
    Last edited by J-Dub; 03-04-12 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    You cant be serious. Have you seen the stock? I cant even see how its shootable, you'll have to have a chin weld to see the sights.

Dont get me wrong, i love lever actions and the 30-30 cartridge. But the new mossberg is a p.o.s. Get a 336 or 94'

That is exactly what I was thinking when I seen the rifle. The Rear of the stock look a bit low for a good line of sight. I haven't had the rifle in my hands, so I could be wrong. But it looks as though one will need something to lift the head/cheek up to get LOS.

I thought is looked like a movie prop from "Cowboys and Aliens"
    Last edited by The Surgeon; 03-04-12 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    Honestly this is one gun I don't feel needs an explanation to hate. Tactical(at least to this level) and lever guns do not mix, at all, period. If you can look at the thing and still feel you need a well thought out explanation to say why its not a good choice then I don't know what to say. I am kinda surprised that as much effort they put in to make it tactical they didn't make it a mag fed 5.56 rifle that takes AR mags.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just saw it today.

I thought it looked like an abortion and I nearly threw up a little.

Holy Crap the things people will do to make a rifle "tactical".

I thought the picatinny rail on a coach gun was a bit of a stretch, but could kind of see a reasonable use for it.

But this thing? No thank you.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, my Marlin 336 with an aftermarket synthetic stock and the planned upgrade to a XS ghost ring sight and short rail for a mini red dot sights is as tacked out as I can comprehend and then only because I couldn't find a decent laminated stock set for it. May skip the rail mrds and just go with ghost rings.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovlov28 View Post
    Can you elaborate on your views a little more? That is a strong judgment with no details on why you feel that way.

My feelings on it are this. It is a .30-.30 with an adjustable butt stock (good if multiple people/family members wanted to use it), FO sights (easy for all to see), and if you had any spare AR accessories (rail mount bi-pod? light? laser?) you could tack them on, or leave the stock and loose the rails. I don't consider it to be a serious gun in the terms that I would grab it if I heard a bump in the night, but I don't find the idea that laughable either. Like I said, it could be a fun range gun, or even for hunting (at night if you had a light on there....), .30-.30 is plenty for most game.

For a low cost, it would be a way more useful tool than at single shot, or AR-pistol or something like that. Being a lever gun, it just has that level of practicality, while still being a novelty. I kind of think of it like the S&W R8 of lever guns. Only way less expensive.

Does anyone care to have anything fun in their safe anymore?

(I have no plans on buying one currently it would be FAR back on the list.... just thought it was a fun looking rifle)
    A little bit of my soul dies everytime I look at that rifle. At first, I thought that it surely had to be a joke. Maybe they'll also throw their "chainsaw grip" and Roadblocker muzzle brake on the next generation of the abomination.

But to your point on the 464 vs. and AR pistol, I would take an AR pistol in a second over the Mossberg. I can run an AR pistol almost as well as a stocked carbine if I jam the receiver extension into my cheek. It provides much more of a "cheek weld" than the Mossberg looks like it would.
    Owner/ Operator, Trojan Tactical LLC. TROTAC.com

Feedback Score
    I just looked this "rifle up."

I literally said "What is this atrocity" out loud upon seeing it. If you want a rifle just because you want a range toy, a well built .22 is a much better option. Cheaper to shoot, and actually respectable in concept and final design.

Remember, if you buy one, you have proven they can make money off of it, which I doubt many people want to see happen. On the other hand, your money, your preferences. Feel free to disregard everything I and others have said if you feel the need to do so, I am not the government and will not tell you how to live your life.
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast