Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 464 SPX

Feedback Score
    This is the very last site I would expect to find posters that advocate that a rifle should look a certain way.

I don't see anything on that gun that hinders its effectiveness. It's certainly non-traditional in appearance, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It will go great along with the Taurus Judge on your hip!

In all seriousness, the beauty of a lever action is the public perception of "cowboy" that goes along with it. This very forum is full of excellent modified lever actions that are as "tactical" as you would ever want, but still look like they came straight out of the wild west, and are not "evil black rifles" in any way.

This gun is the worst of both worlds in my opinion.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    F.U.B.A.R......period!
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Feedback Score
    I have one of the standard 464 lever guns, one of my favorite rifles. Very smooth action, more so than the couple of winchester M94 rifles I bought before they stopped production. Its as accurate as any lever action I have shot, about 2" at 50 yards with factory ammo.

That said not sure about the utility of an AR style collapsible stock on a lever gun. If marlin offered the railed forearm as an option that would be cool, and a threaded muzzle.
    Last edited by godsmack; 05-21-12 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuvik View Post
    It will go great along with the Taurus Judge on your hip!
    Why was that guy so easy to picture in my mind?

Feedback Score
    That would be the Mossberg MVP IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny87ky View Post
    Honestly this is one gun I don't feel needs an explanation to hate. Tactical(at least to this level) and lever guns do not mix, at all, period. If you can look at the thing and still feel you need a well thought out explanation to say why its not a good choice then I don't know what to say. I am kinda surprised that as much effort they put in to make it tactical they didn't make it a mag fed 5.56 rifle that takes AR mags.
    This soldier should not be allowed North of the Light Line.
    CPT HM

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My opinion is this.

Mossberg went full blown retard. I'm sorry OP, but this thing is an abortion. My buddy told me about it over the phone this evening, & I had to see for myself. I can not believe it. I thought the tactical stoeger side by side was bad.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovlov28 View Post
    Obviously it is a bit of a gimic. But for something that would only come out of the safe on range days, and for fun.... Makes me smile a little bit to think about a "tactical" lever gun. I don't doubt it would be a good little rifle either. Easily better than a single shot in .300 AAC for the same kind of money.
    Yes, a gimmick.

There's a lot to be said for the lever gun. It was the 19th century equivalent of the black rifle and is nearly perfect as is. It could be a bit more rugged, and it needs peep sights (NOT fiber optic) and maybe some way to hang a light on it, but that's really about it.

It's easy to find a pawnshop Marlin or Winchester with good peep sights for $250 if you're patient. Or you can get the high-cap version in 357 or 44 Magnum, both of which perform very differently in a rifle.

That leaves $150 for ammo, which will get you a long way with those cartridges.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Whenever ppl hear tactical they intantly start comparing it to a knights armament AR, or if they if they hear lever gun it has to have a blued barrel with a wood stock. I think it looks like a fun range gun that might turn some heads, i also think it is well suited as a hunting rifle because of how easy it is to mount a scope on it with the picatinny rail. Plus, honestly at the price point of $400 we know that it wont be the rifle you grab when your parachuting into Afghanistan (or any lever gun BTW!) Lastly its a lever gun so any failure to feed issues are 99% of the time on the shooter... Only made it through six comments before I realized no one actually fired the rifle and made all of their points/thoughts from a picutre they saw on mossbergs website.
    I say go for it! You'll probably have fun with the rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Honestly I would find an older model Marlin and spruce it up a bit and be happy.
    There is something akin to giving the Mona Lisa a moustache when you mess with the classics.
    Last edited by Averageman; 01-05-17 at 09:33.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast