Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana House approves bill covering police entering homes.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wow. I never thought I'd see an LEO post something like this on here. Thank you for not toeing the line and speaking your mind. Beer's on me if we ever meet. Well said, very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I'm sorry, but until I review your credentials and the warrant you're serving, I do not in fact know to a reasonable degree that you are in fact a police officer with legal authority to enter my private dwelling. That's kinda hard to do when you lead with a Halligan tool and an M4.

Are you a LEO? I ask because it helps to frame the response. I'm a LEO AND a citizen. I think what we're seeing here is backlash that goes all the way back to the Ruby Ridge and Waco raids. Lately there seems to be a rash of reports regarding suspect raid planning, all the way to raiding the wrong addresses. This is a pressure cooker subject. When the pressure gets high enough, something's gotta give.

A point to consider is John Stossel's recent report on "too many laws". It highlighted raids that were obviously over the top, to include agents pointing guns at unarmed, compliant people. Where I come from, that's aggravated assault. Further that with laws that allow the police to lie to the people, but the people can't legally do the same. Other reports of citizens being arrested for video taping the police from their own property and in no way interfering with the law enforcement operation, and 18 states where it is illegal to record the police, but the police can record the people. Then you add in government meetings that are in direct violation of the Open Records Act and LE agencies telling citizens and other LE agencies to "file a FOIA request" for information pertinent to their own jurisdiction and rights.

All this adds up to a distrust of the government and it's LE agencies. So, how did it come to this? Does a police officer automatically deserve to be trusted with your life and your property and your rights, just because he has a badge? The short answer is no. Where the disconnect comes from are entrenched and embattled agencies that don't remember their primary mission, which is the safety and security of it's own community. Too many police officers think goal #1 is to arrest someone and send them to prison. I didn't say a majority, just too many.

When an agency makes a mistake, it turtles up and sometimes even lashes out at it's critics. If you plan a raid and you hit the wrong address, you're in deep shit. Do you accept your culpability and renounce your qualified immunity? No. You get told by the agency lawyers to shut your mouth and they wage a campaign designed to reduce the liability of the agency. This doesn't always happen at every agency, but it does happen, so you get the picture.

Now, let's say you're Joe Blow who possibly commits a felony a week and never has a clue that it happened, because the law is pig ignorant. Now, let's say you've watched the 6pm news every night and seen several reports over the past few months about armed robbers posing as police to steal gun collections (happened in my jurisdiction). Suddenly, it's zero dark thirty and you're awakened to hear a loud crash and people yelling in your home. You're groggy, scared and fight or flight dumps the adrenaline into your bloodstream. You grab your HD carbine and suddenly, you see a man wearing blue jeans, a thigh holster and a dark jacket wielding a gun in the hallway. You react and defend your home, because there's no reasonable explanation as to why the police would be there, because you're not a criminal. You shoot him and his fellow officers light you up. You survive (barely), only to finds that the police are saying you're one step removed from Charles Manson and now you're being charged with murder, along with a long list of lesser crimes that amount to what is essentially a "kitchen sink" indictment. You have to ask yourself, "How did this happen?".

I'm not saying police shouldn't conduct raids, but I think they've been used in far too many instances where they shouldn't. The local Sheriff pretty much told the ATF that he could go to the Branch Davidian compound and get David Koresh to come out and talk. He also told them they could simply wait and he would come to town, where they could arrest him. But that wasn't what they wanted. Same for Ruby Ridge. The ATF wanted Randy Weaver as an informant, so they convinced him to break the law where he had no intent to do so. When he told them where to go, the raid was a "show" to prove that they were bigger than him and he should "play ball".

Jose Guerena could have easily been picked up at the Arasco mine where he worked after the end of his graveyard shift. Yet PCSO elected to raid his home when he could reasonably be expected to be asleep. After they killed him, they've done nothing but obstruct and obfuscate the investigation of the raid itself.

Now you have the Indiana State Supreme Court doing a 180 on a law that dates back to the Magna Carta. The lead Justice states: He's saying that if an officer commits a criminal act against you, you have no recourse under criminal law (qualified immunity), you cannot resist this unlawful act and your only recourse is to pursue a civil case, IF you have the means to do so. Seriously? WTF???

I will not argue the law's right to enter the premises in each of the aforementioned cases. However, one common thread runs through all of them. In none of those cases did the need of the law to enter, outweigh the safety of the unarmed non-combatants who had broken no laws. The use of SWAT style raids in serving warrants is OUT OF CONTROL. Under the same circumstances, meaning criminals mixed with unarmed civilians, SWAT would NEVER storm a building with armed hold up men or armed and barricaded suspects, unless the lives of the innocent civilians were in immediate danger. I'm sorry, but the need to secure evidence in a criminal case should NEVER take precedence over human lives. It's cowboy police work at it's worst.

I realize that this means some drug dealers and bad guys will take longer to arrest. I realize that it will require more police resources, intel, planning, care and potential risk for the police to get the bad guys and be the hero of the day for making their community safer, but that's part of the job. This is a failure of police policy and administration to recognize a flaw in their SOP's and react accordingly. When you push it to the level that they did in Indiana, they shouldn't be surprised when lawmakers make that decision for them. Now, they've lost the respect of their community and a tool in their toolbox as a result. It's their fault, not the legislature's. It's their fault, not the citizens. It's their fault, not the court's. THEY are solely to blame for this. Now they've increased the risk to their own officers as a result. It's shameful that it's coming to this in America.

As a LEO AND a citizen, I walk in two worlds. I never take one for granted when in the other. Sadly, I believe that some have. Let's hope more people don't have to die for this to change.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Wow. I never thought I'd see an LEO post something like this on here. Thank you for not toeing the line and speaking your mind. Beer's on me if we ever meet. Well said, very well said.
    ****ing A right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    + 1

OUTSTANDING post, I wish I would see more like it.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    What glocktogo said is exactly what I've been trying to get across to all the brainwashed morons the liberal media has created. This is not open season on cops.

No one is above the law, and, not to be bashing cops, but the LEO's, especially in my AO, all have the mentality that they are. They have this mentality of Do What I Say, Now, No Matter What, or I'm hauling you off to jail.

My dad has been with the county here for 31 years, he ran for Sheriff in 2010, and while losing by literally less than 30 votes, I got an inside look at the political spectrum and the mindset of the local LEO's and I was very ashamed. The LEO's that are still around from when dad got on aren't bad guys, it's the ones that have been on for less than 10 years, it's the post 9-11 mentality that is being brainwashed into them by the academy.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 03-05-12 at 09:46.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    In the very off chance you are actually in the wrong, someone is dead...?

Seems acceptable to you?
    So when a civilian breaks the law we all carry firearms and train to neutralize that threat and most even congratulate someone who does. When a sworn officer of the law who is SWORN TO PROTECT breaks the same laws they're sworn to uphold we're expected to just law down and let them do as they will? How is it any different? Shouldn't we just give the civilian or money and law down and hope they don't do anything permanent so that we may attempt to seek justice against them trough the court systems? Please help me understand how this is any different.

LE much like criminals needs to understand that there are lines when it comes to law abiding citizens and they better be DAMN sure they're ready before they take actions that could get them killed. IMO the whole kicking in a door thing has been used WAY too liberally as of late and looks to only increase as time goes on. I don't want to be made feel like a prisoner to LE when their duty is to serve and protect me the average citizen any more than I want to be made feel like a prisoner to criminals when I've done nothing to deserve such treatment in either instance.

You can say I'm turning 'us into them' because I'm not LE but it's them who's been turning 'us into them' for decades now. This here is just citizens responding.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I'm sorry, but until I review your credentials and the warrant you're serving, I do not in fact know to a reasonable degree that you are in fact a police officer with legal authority to enter my private dwelling. That's kinda hard to do when you lead with a Halligan tool and an M4.

Are you a LEO? I ask because it helps to frame the response. I'm a LEO AND a citizen. I think what we're seeing here is backlash that goes all the way back to the Ruby Ridge and Waco raids. Lately there seems to be a rash of reports regarding suspect raid planning, all the way to raiding the wrong addresses. This is a pressure cooker subject. When the pressure gets high enough, something's gotta give.

A point to consider is John Stossel's recent report on "too many laws". It highlighted raids that were obviously over the top, to include agents pointing guns at unarmed, compliant people. Where I come from, that's aggravated assault. Further that with laws that allow the police to lie to the people, but the people can't legally do the same. Other reports of citizens being arrested for video taping the police from their own property and in no way interfering with the law enforcement operation, and 18 states where it is illegal to record the police, but the police can record the people. Then you add in government meetings that are in direct violation of the Open Records Act and LE agencies telling citizens and other LE agencies to "file a FOIA request" for information pertinent to their own jurisdiction and rights.

All this adds up to a distrust of the government and it's LE agencies. So, how did it come to this? Does a police officer automatically deserve to be trusted with your life and your property and your rights, just because he has a badge? The short answer is no. Where the disconnect comes from are entrenched and embattled agencies that don't remember their primary mission, which is the safety and security of it's own community. Too many police officers think goal #1 is to arrest someone and send them to prison. I didn't say a majority, just too many.

When an agency makes a mistake, it turtles up and sometimes even lashes out at it's critics. If you plan a raid and you hit the wrong address, you're in deep shit. Do you accept your culpability and renounce your qualified immunity? No. You get told by the agency lawyers to shut your mouth and they wage a campaign designed to reduce the liability of the agency. This doesn't always happen at every agency, but it does happen, so you get the picture.

Now, let's say you're Joe Blow who possibly commits a felony a week and never has a clue that it happened, because the law is pig ignorant. Now, let's say you've watched the 6pm news every night and seen several reports over the past few months about armed robbers posing as police to steal gun collections (happened in my jurisdiction). Suddenly, it's zero dark thirty and you're awakened to hear a loud crash and people yelling in your home. You're groggy, scared and fight or flight dumps the adrenaline into your bloodstream. You grab your HD carbine and suddenly, you see a man wearing blue jeans, a thigh holster and a dark jacket wielding a gun in the hallway. You react and defend your home, because there's no reasonable explanation as to why the police would be there, because you're not a criminal. You shoot him and his fellow officers light you up. You survive (barely), only to finds that the police are saying you're one step removed from Charles Manson and now you're being charged with murder, along with a long list of lesser crimes that amount to what is essentially a "kitchen sink" indictment. You have to ask yourself, "How did this happen?".

I'm not saying police shouldn't conduct raids, but I think they've been used in far too many instances where they shouldn't. The local Sheriff pretty much told the ATF that he could go to the Branch Davidian compound and get David Koresh to come out and talk. He also told them they could simply wait and he would come to town, where they could arrest him. But that wasn't what they wanted. Same for Ruby Ridge. The ATF wanted Randy Weaver as an informant, so they convinced him to break the law where he had no intent to do so. When he told them where to go, the raid was a "show" to prove that they were bigger than him and he should "play ball".

Jose Guerena could have easily been picked up at the Arasco mine where he worked after the end of his graveyard shift. Yet PCSO elected to raid his home when he could reasonably be expected to be asleep. After they killed him, they've done nothing but obstruct and obfuscate the investigation of the raid itself.

Now you have the Indiana State Supreme Court doing a 180 on a law that dates back to the Magna Carta. The lead Justice states: He's saying that if an officer commits a criminal act against you, you have no recourse under criminal law (qualified immunity), you cannot resist this unlawful act and your only recourse is to pursue a civil case, IF you have the means to do so. Seriously? WTF???

I will not argue the law's right to enter the premises in each of the aforementioned cases. However, one common thread runs through all of them. In none of those cases did the need of the law to enter, outweigh the safety of the unarmed non-combatants who had broken no laws. The use of SWAT style raids in serving warrants is OUT OF CONTROL. Under the same circumstances, meaning criminals mixed with unarmed civilians, SWAT would NEVER storm a building with armed hold up men or armed and barricaded suspects, unless the lives of the innocent civilians were in immediate danger. I'm sorry, but the need to secure evidence in a criminal case should NEVER take precedence over human lives. It's cowboy police work at it's worst.

I realize that this means some drug dealers and bad guys will take longer to arrest. I realize that it will require more police resources, intel, planning, care and potential risk for the police to get the bad guys and be the hero of the day for making their community safer, but that's part of the job. This is a failure of police policy and administration to recognize a flaw in their SOP's and react accordingly. When you push it to the level that they did in Indiana, they shouldn't be surprised when lawmakers make that decision for them. Now, they've lost the respect of their community and a tool in their toolbox as a result. It's their fault, not the legislature's. It's their fault, not the citizens. It's their fault, not the court's. THEY are solely to blame for this. Now they've increased the risk to their own officers as a result. It's shameful that it's coming to this in America.

As a LEO AND a citizen, I walk in two worlds. I never take one for granted when in the other. Sadly, I believe that some have. Let's hope more people don't have to die for this to change.
    I didn't read this post until after mine and he stated what I was thinking much better than I did. I would like to defer to this post and if more LEOs at every level had this mentality we wouldn't be having this conversation. Too many people at all levels that are too quick to endanger the citizens they're sworn to protect for BS reasons.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    Here is the article that led me to ask the question; It is going around facebook.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03...lice-officers/

Read the article and you will see why I asked the question. My original post contains a link I found in that article, as it is obvious the addictinginfo dot org website is libtarded.

Most folks outside of Indiana know nothing of this topic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We already have no-duty-to-retreat, castle doctrine, and civil immunity from a justified defense shooting.

It seems to me the main objectors to this are the guys who think storming the wrong house (i.e. not the guy you're looking for) is something that should be met with total compliance and submission.

Well.. That's a point of view. It's a point of view that a lot of Hoosiers don't share, obviously.

I'm not a criminal, so ipso facto anyone battering my door down is committing a violent felony, regardless of who they work for. This law simply reaffirms that proposition.

Do your due diligence and make sure you're at the right damn house before you go all Bad Boys (which you should have been doing in the first place) and you'll suffer absolutely no effect at all from this law. A criminal who might be reasonably expected to expect a police raid does NOT have protection under this law.

Sorry...but if you're not dealing with a criminal, you have no powers to do anything that any other human being doesn't have. And that's the way it should be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just jumping on the bandwagon.

Glocktogo's post was one of the most well-reasoned, cogent assessments of a highly contentious and complicated problem I have read.

Much appreciated. Thank you for your time and effort in writing that contribution to this thread.

And it's comforting to know there are men wearing the uniform who think as you do.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    Here is the article that led me to ask the question; It is going around facebook.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03...lice-officers/

Read the article and you will see why I asked the question. My original post contains a link I found in that article, as it is obvious the addictinginfo dot org website is libtarded.

Most folks outside of Indiana know nothing of this topic.
    You'd think "liberals" would care about rights. Not so.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast