Title says it all, I have an acog with an offset t1 on my 16" ss barreled AR and an nxs 2.5-10 with offset t1 on my 16" 308 carbine, and I've never felt a want for anything else, but this torrent of new 1-6+ optics hitting the market has left me feeling like there is something I don't know. I shoot at a wide range of distances from paper stands I have from ~10 yards out to 50 and steel targets out to 800, and conditions depending, I can even hit the 800 yard gong pretty consistently with the acog. For close up shots on both setups its just a slight cant to the left and I have the T1 there, granted I have yet to take a class with these setups so I am not sure how practical this *really* is but I can't see how it would be harder than adjusting a power ring.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is am I missing something? I see the march and leupold and s&b all with hefty weights, even heftier price tags and tiny exit pupils and I can't help but wonder why there is all this clamoring to scoop them up. I would think that 800 yards would be the extreme maximum for a 556 cartridge, and while I wouldn't be winning any competitions, I can hit a man sized target at that distance with 4X magnification and I am by no means a great shot. What benefit does the 6X and 8X give you that is worth the increase in weight and size while also being less forgiving to the shooter? Also, with how unforgiving the eyebox seems to be (I've only seen the CQBSS and I was less than impressed) is the 1x function even all that functional for FAST shots? I can't see how anyone could say that it could compete for speed with something like an eotech, or even a 1-4 that is more forgiving to the shooter.

For ~$1800 you can pick up an H1, offset mount, and a 2.5-10 of good quality and an adm or larue mount and still be in for less than half the cost the 1-8's with daytime visible dot. That's about 2200 you could spend on ammunition or classes etc, so do the benefits of the 1-8's really outweigh all this?