Thread: Looking for info on securing Homestead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking for info on securing Homestead

Working on some basic preps, we have a second home in the woods with garden, pond, fruit trees, bees etc.
    It is almost self sufficient;

If I were to need to protect the home and family defensively...I need a plan.
    Looking for info on setting up some protective positions etc.
    Thinking deer blinds could double as perimeter positions, but I feel I would be very exposed around the house. No place to hunker down as the house is fairly thin walled.

I was thinking of storing away a large sheet of cammo netting to serve as cover; pulling it up across guide wires to give an area of concealment around the house (assuming it would help)
    Maybe store a few empty sand bags and if we needed to "lock the gate" I could pull them out of storage and fill them and make a secure area for wife and kids.

I have the ammo, guns, training covered reasonably. Food and water is being worked on. Working on alternate power sources.

Anyone know of book or website that gives some info on setting up a home/farm defense? Also assuming loss of power situation.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    First you need to learn the difference between cover and concealment, because when you state using camouflage netting for cover that is not quite right, it would be concealment. Cover stops bullets concealment does not. Now more to the point of your question, you are missing to many details to give a great answer. Positions to fight from will be dictated by terrain, equipment and a few other details. If you are looking for materials to fortify with that will depend on funds, but sand bags and railroad ties are a good start.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thanks
    Cover/concealment -I did actually know the difference, I just don't say/type the words frequently so I didn't choose the words correctly.
    Thanks for the thought of rail road ties.
    I am just looking for a reference like a book or web info; as I have to many questions to get spoon fed.

Figured there may be a book that might give me some sound principles and advice that I wouldn't have considered. Most forums seem to spend 99.99% of the space talking about BOBs.

looking for perimeter alerts, construction of defensive positions, basically how to be around your house in bad times; but be as safe as possible....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Army TM's are adaptable for your use. Old, but useful and a good place to start. You might just save some time and have a experienced military friend come over and provide some suggestions for YOUR property.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alienb1212 View Post
    Army TM's are adaptable for your use. Old, but useful and a good place to start. You might just save some time and have a experienced military friend come over and provide some suggestions for YOUR property.
    thanks, great suggestion
    I am not far from Ft Bragg, have some neighbors that are active and retired nearby......