Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a 16" barrel bolt gun?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drider View Post
    b

I'm in the market for a handy compact .223 bolt gun, who makes one with a short barrel?
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...synthetic.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-predator.aspx

Have a gunsmith cut it to 16 1/2" and recrown it. Problem solved (just be aware, the 'Synthetic' model has a 1:12 twist, while the 'Predator' has a 1:9 twist)

There is no lighter, handier boltgun. I have one in .308 with a 16 1/2" cut down barrel, and have killed beaucoup whitetails in the briars with it.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have the various issues with the Model 7 been corrected satisfactorily?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by charmcitycop; 09-21-13 at 16:17.

Feedback Score
    Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact (16.5")
    American Walnut
    Black Laminate

Mossberg MVP (18.5")

Have you considered the AAC Micro 7 in .300 Blackout?
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    20" not 16 but could be modified easily enough,

lightweight;
    http://www.legacysports.com/products...ranchland.html

heavyweight;
    http://www.legacysports.com/products...ogue20hvy.html

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You have me thinking about looking for a used bolt gun as a project. This is the time of year the local shops have extra.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    There are very few factory options for bolt guns with a barrel that short. Even fewer with a 1:7" twist and/or with muzzle threads. I went with stubby barrels simply because these rifles are exclusively used with suppressors. Why do you want a shortie? You will definitely loose some velocity, but they sure are handy once they're chopped.

I cut a Remington 700 in .223 with a 1:9" barrel back to 16" and then threaded it. That shoots just fine and it's not much longer than the original rifle with a stock 22" barrel. If you have the work (cut, crown, muzzle thread) done to an existing rifle expect to pay around $125-$150 or so.

Next go-round I bought a Savage/Stevens short action, re-stocked it and then had McGowan make me up a short-chubby 16" barrel. I still need to muzzle thread it for a can, but you get the idea. The barrels are fairly simple to swap out on these actions with a few tools.
    Last edited by Wicked; 03-11-12 at 00:28.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm reminded of my lefthandedness every time I shoot a belt-fed with short sleeves on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Have the various issues with the Model 7 been corrected satisfactorily?
    Which issues? I know there were some reports of 700s having ND issues, but I have never had a problem with my model 7.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    CZ 527 in .223 or 7.62x39. Watch this video of hickock45 hitting steel with the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with iron sights. I want one. The Video.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Feedback Score
    Another option would be to go with a nice single shot Browning or Ruger with the Barrel adjusted to your desired over all length. That way you get more barrel length in the same sized package, just a thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast