Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer Tube Basics

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    Sorry about that, they are back up now.
    Thanks alot. Pretty much what I expected, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Feedback Score
    What about CAA buttstocks - after market or MILSPEC?

Thanks.

Jim

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy87Guy
    What about CAA buttstocks - after market or MILSPEC?

Thanks.

Jim
    As far as I know their non-milspec and Jim you don't want one.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Hello gentlemen,
    On the last post about not wanting a CAA stock????? Why not? Don't worry I don't have one. And this as you can see is my first post. But I want to thank everyone for all the info I have read over the hours and hours I've visited. THANK YOU.

AL

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAIL-CAESAR
    On the last post about not wanting a CAA stock????? Why not?
    Because for roughly $15-20 more than the CAA you could have a CMT mil-spec stock. I highly recommend mil-spec receiver extension over commercial tubes if this is a rifle that you might depend on to defend yourself. I also recommend staking the castle nut after torquing properly, it may never come loose on it's own and the staking ensures that it won't, it's the same exact reason carrier key screws are staked. Proper torquing and using high quality parts and it may never come loose, staking ensures that it won't.

The mil-spec tubes have the full/completed threads and won't spin off with the castle nut, gouging the tube as RRA sometimes do, Bushys usually don't do it but they're not mil-spec either. I have found a technique to avoid this with the Loc-Tited on RRA receiver extensions.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    Hey! My new Mil-Spec tube is too long? Some newer tubes made for the "enhanced" M4 stock are a little longer and have a small taper to the back to match the profile of the stock butt. It should not effect the use of a Mil-Spec stock however.
    I can confirm that the tubes CMMG uses, combined with the Magpul CTR stock are not entirely compatable. They have this taper and longer length you mentioned.

My CMMG rifle will not allow the CTR to engage at the shortest position.

I brought this up to them (CMMG) after receiving my rifle and they simply told me that "Yes, the CTR will not lock up on the shortest position with our tubes." Frankly, I would have liked to have been told this prior to having my rifle built, because I would have been happy to ship CMMG the proper tube as to avoid this aggrivation from happening at all.

There are two solutions. One of which was addressed by Magpul themselves. Magpul sent me a butt pad/spacer for my CTR that is thicker than what is now currently available (the thicker pads should be available soon...I got one shipped early...thanks Magpul!) These pads/spacers have a deeper recess for the tube (maybe a half inch) than the current CTR pads.

Once installed, this thicker pad/spacer for the CTR just barely allowed the CMMG tube to lock up on the shortest position, but, trying to UNLOCK it from that position took an incredible amount of force on my part, making this an unacceptable solution.

The other solution is a 5 position mil spec tube available from DSA's web page. It's shorter and I have been told the CTR will function as it should with this tube. I haven't replaced my tube with this one yet, but I will.
    AMERICAN INFIDEL

Feedback Score
    Can we get a list of which manufacturers sell their lowers with Mil-Spec buffer tubes?

Feedback Score
    I just orderd the CTR/and milspec tube combo from Grant. Figgured get it done in one shot. I am just wondering if the hbuffer is good for bolth carbine and mid length rifles?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question

Hey guys,

First post here. I'm wanting to upgrade my RRA with a new CTR and if I'm gonna do that I might as well change the tube to a milspec. Am I correct in assuming the buffers are compatible between the two different sizes as I've never seen any buffers marked specifically for commercial or mil-spec? What about the back plate, nut etc? I have a couple of each laying around so I'd rather just pick up the tube and stock body if possible. Plus is there one mil-spec tube thats better than the others? Thanks for the info!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    Most tubes with the cant are comm. tubes. The exception are a few CMMG tubes that are mil spec dems. and have a canted end.

I owe you a kick in the nads

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
    Some newer tubes made for the "enhanced" M4 stock are a little longer and have a small taper to the back to match the profile of the stock butt. It should not effect the use of a Mil-Spec stock however.

Should I be confused?

I called Magpul a week or so ago and the rep I was on the phone with was describing to me how to ID my tube if it were mil spec or not, this was in an effort to see if my tubes would work with a CTR.

The tubes I have do NOT extend past the buttstock but they are slightly canted to follow the form of the buttstock.

I was told the canted tube means it is NOT milspec.

If I read this thread right, either I heard wrong or the Magpul guy is wrong.

I am willing to bet a kick between the legs that I heard wrong.
    Magpul bonehead

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast