Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffer Tube Basics

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Bump...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    More questions....

Ok, so where does this put ACE stocks, especially the SOCOM stocks?

Does this threading issue only apply to extensions or does it also apply to the lower receiver?

In other words, do all lowers have the correct milspec thread?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    More questions....

Ok, so where does this put ACE stocks, especially the SOCOM stocks?

Does this threading issue only apply to extensions or does it also apply to the lower receiver?

In other words, do all lowers have the correct milspec thread?
    Depending on which model your talking about an ACE stock can use either a proprietary receiver extension, a rifle receiver extension or a 'entry' length rifle receiver extension. So it's really neither mil-spec nor commercial.

The only one that they make that I like is the ACE rifle length skeleton stock. I don't like the way the others attach.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I have an ACE SOCOM and although I like the stock itself I agree the attachment method sucks.

On one of my RRA rifles, the stock wiggles in the receiver. I can screw it down tight, but then it's not lined up. Ultimately, I wrapped teflon tape around the threads and screwed it in. This eliminated the wiggle.

In my last carbine class a guy had one of these and had the same problem.

Feedback Score
    Great site, I’ve been browsing a little while. Lots of good CORRECT info found here.

I have the ACE Socom butt stock on a couple of my AR's. I have one of the original designs on my 50 Beowulf. I don't recommend one for this caliber as I have seen a few break (collapse when firing). However, I have approx 1000 rounds with no failures on mine yet.

The other ACE Socom I have is a second gen and is installed on one of my 5.56 16”. It has over 10 K though it now.

As someone mentioned the mounting sucks. However, I loctited both of these into the receivers with 2440 and neither have came lose to date.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok, I am still a little confused.

Will a mil-spec receiver extention correctly thread into all major brand lower receivers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Ok, I am still a little confused.

Will a mil-spec receiver extention correctly thread into all major brand lower receivers?
    Yes they will.

Feedback Score
    I was going to put one of those single point sling att. that are in front of the castle nut (I think its called )on my AR that is not staked. Should I wait until I put the att on before I stake it? Once it is staked can you still get the castle nut off if need be?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it is staked properly, you are going to need to replace the plate you deformed to stake it to the castle nut. I don't know how hard the castle nut will to turn but, you may need a dremel tool to cut the staked material free first.

Feedback Score
    All this wonderful reporting.
    I am going to continue to hold my opinion that a commercial tube is a bit stronger that a commercial tube and I will continue to use the one I have on a rifle that could be used for defense and I don't feel this is going to affect my survivability in a gunfight.

If you feel the receiver ring and the commercial extension tube are weak links in and among themselves, I suggest you add a bit more support in the area with a Midwest Industries single point sling mount that clamps over the tube and the castle nut.

Staking is OK but not absolutely necessary if everything is installed properly.
    It is the Military way of keeping people from taking things apart that they shouldn't be.

I have no problem with CAA stocks and guess the only reason one might is because they are made in Israel.
    The stocks seem to work just fine for them and I am pretty sure the rifles they are on over there are used in combat far more often than most of the rifles over here.
    Battery storage compartment doesn't rattle, the clip on spare magazine carrier is trick and the clip on cheekrest works and even comes in a foam covered version for added comfort.
    Some real junk here.

I do use a MagPul CTR stock on my personal collapser,,,,with a commercial extension tube too.
    No problems here and don't even use an H marked buffer either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast