Thread: Winchester 70 Ultimate Shadow in 300 Win Mag

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)

Winchester 70 Ultimate Shadow in 300 Win Mag

My little cousin has recently gone through a divorce and is wanting to sell some of his less used guns to get some cash back.

He has a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow model in 300 WM and wants $350 for it.

My question is, I know its worth probably that just for resale value($799.99 MSRP on Winchester's website), but I'm wondering if I should buy it and "build it". I see McMillan makes stocks for them, someone makes DBM that use Accuracy International mags.

Just curious as to what you guys think. Should I re-barrel it for something else. Its long action, but thats not a breaking point. I've always had a soft spot for 30-06, thought about rebarreling it for that and building a match gun with it, less recoil than a 300 WM.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On another site that I frequent there was a guy who had a 30-06 precision rifle. It had a long barrel and if I remember correctly he was getting around 2800 FPS with a 190 grn bullet.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It'll have the magnum bolt face, so standard cartridges won't fit it, even with a new barrel. I'd pass, unless I really wanted a .300 Magnum...but it would make a great elk rifle if you live in that sort of country.

The .300 Mag shines for long range duty, but if you want a rifle for that, forget sporter versions. To take advantage of the ballistics of the cartridge, you should select a heavy barrel and a McMillan A-5 or other fiberglass stock. Then you need a set of Badger Ordnance rings and a rail and a decent optic...the list goes on. How much are you willing to spend?