Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lever Action in .243

Feedback Score
    The Marlin 336 in .30-30 has almost no recoil. It's a little heftier than the Winchester 94 and the stock is configured a bit differently so that it isn't as direct and blunt with the force. I shot 94's growing up then bought a 336 about 5 years ago and have been simply amazed by the difference. That's an option that should be very easy for you to find.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 05-01-12 at 11:39.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I love my 336. Recoil isn't bad at all.
    Have you considered one if the recoil reducing devices that goes in the stock?

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    I have a 1964 made Savage 99F in 243, that I have shot quite a bit over the years. It wears a Bushnell 3x9x40 on Leupold rings.

This rifle, with factory Winchester soft points, will give me 1.25" groups at 100yds all day long. Hot or cold barrel. The rifle DOES have pretty low recoil, due to the 243 caliber and the fact that it is an old school all steel and wood rifle and the trigger is fairly good. The lever is short and fast and can be cycled easily by smaller children or women shooters. If you ask me, the lever is easier than the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94's levers. For a lever action rifle, I am surprised at how accurate the Savage 99 really is.

I have used this rifle to drop several coyotes and wild pigs, but not for white tail deer. (I have a 30-06 for that). for dropping coyotes and smaller pigs (100-150lbs) it works very well.

If you can find one, I highly suggest a Savage 99 in 243. Mine is very accurate and a pretty well made rifle. The later made Savages showed more rough finishes but those made in the early 60s or earlier were very nice guns.

Good luck in your search....the 243 Savage 99 has long been a favorite of mine.

- Brickboy240
    My dad has a Savage '99 from the early 60's and he has killed more deer than you can stack in a barn. Likewise my first deer was brought down with that same rifle. I liked it so much I bought the (at the time) modern version '99C. Both rifles are .243 and I use soft tail boat tips with amazing accuracy. My furthest deer was take at 400-425yds. It is my most favorite deer rifle. The .243 is very flat shooting and if you place the shot like you are supposed to it will do its job. As a side note the NRA has listed the Savage 99 as the best deer rfile for years. Finding one may be the hard part.

Feedback Score
    Yep...the Savage 99 is way underrated.

Used to be you could find them cheap in the used racks of every gun store. Now...they are some sort of collectors item and scarce...sky high if you do find one.

- brickboy240

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    The Marlin 336 in .30-30 has almost no recoil. It's a little heftier than the Winchester 94 and the stock is configured a bit differently so that it isn't as direct and blunt with the force. I shot 94's growing up then bought a 336 about 5 years ago and have been simply amazed by the difference. That's an option that should be very easy for you to find.
    That's the best suggestion imho.

If the boy is looking for the authentic western look, the 99 isn't going to do it for him, and getting a clean one in .243 is going to be expensive.

But the 99's are certainly classic deer rifles. This one's killed more deer than Aunt Edna's Studebaker....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive got a Winchester 88 carbine that dad and I have used since the early seventies on whitetail. Its been a great rifle, and I too have always loved the .243 round. Its a better cartridge than given credit.

Feedback Score
    my BLR in .243 was as accurate as my Remington 700 in .243 but it was kinda heavy. I eventually ditched all my BLR's because of excessive weight.

Now I use a 6x45mm AR-15 for my .243 calibre fun. It's nowhere near as fast but still blows the snot out of bunnies and squirrels, hold gobs of bullets and is semi-auto and it's lighter than my BLR.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I understand his love for the 6mm. My wife drops every deer with a Model 70 Featherweight in .243 and it has never let her down.

I can't really see how the 30-30 had any more appreciable recoil than the .243 though. Tell him to get a 336 or 30AS and stick a low fixed power scope on it or even a cheap red-dot on a receiver rail. It will kill anything he needs it to kill and do so cheaply. I am perfectly capable of 250 yard kills on whitetail with mine.

As a last resort, go to managed recoil 30-30 ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12