Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a good small stove for camping/emergencies?

Feedback Score
    I just fired up my new BIOLITE campstove for the first time tonite....and while this thing is certainly not the right answer for a serious backpacker because of the weight, but for some uses.....probably uses that most of us need....I can see this thing being a very usable option. Yes, I did plug up my Iphone, and get a charge....but the most practical feature is the self powered fan that fuels the fire.....this thing got a HOT roaring fire going almost instantly. I used the first semi dry twigs/branches I could find in the yard....not exactly seasoned hickory. I was boiling water in my cup in short order( I should have timed it, but forgot). I like it, and will continue to test/use/experiment with it. YMMV.
    Last edited by Will Fennell; 12-07-14 at 18:49.
    Best,

Will

Will Fennell
    TEAM USA
    TEAM Krieghoffwww.halkguns.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    one of the problems with small Iso-Pro stoves (Jetboil, pocket rocket, etc.) is frying in larger diameter pans. you can boil water quickly but they have a small diameter burner and usually burn the center, leaving the edges cold.

I saw this and thought what the heck, it's cheap, so why not?..
    -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this thing rocks! that's a full size burner - 3.25" across - with sturdy fold out pan supports. It gives even heat all across the bottom of a fry pan, though with smaller pots, it can throw flames up the side. combined with a Jetboil (they use the same fuel) it covers all the bases.
    I decided to give this one a try. I have a ESEE class this weekend and will put thu the paces. For price and compactness (even comes with pouch) it's defiantly worth a try.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My vote would be for the Jetboil via REI.
    Rangers Lead The Way

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    one of the problems with small Iso-Pro stoves (Jetboil, pocket rocket, etc.) is frying in larger diameter pans. you can boil water quickly but they have a small diameter burner and usually burn the center, leaving the edges cold.

I saw this and thought what the heck, it's cheap, so why not?..
    -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this thing rocks! that's a full size burner - 3.25" across - with sturdy fold out pan supports. It gives even heat all across the bottom of a fry pan, though with smaller pots, it can throw flames up the side. combined with a Jetboil (they use the same fuel) it covers all the bases.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    I decided to give this one a try. I have a ESEE class this weekend and will put thu the paces. For price and compactness (even comes with pouch) it's defiantly worth a try.
    This thing worked great!! Boiled water, fried up my breakfast/dinner and didn't take up hardly any space nor weight. Would highly recommend, thanks ra2bach!
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    This thing worked great!! Boiled water, fried up my breakfast/dinner and didn't take up hardly any space nor weight. Would highly recommend, thanks ra2bach!
    yeah, it's cheap but it works well. only $8 shipped for the stove plus $4 for the fuel. not bad. coffee, oatmeal, bacon and eggs. pretty cheap breakfast...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Fennell View Post
    I just fired up my new BIOLITE campstove for the first time tonite....and while this thing is certainly not the right answer for a serious backpacker because of the weight, but for some uses.....probably uses that most of use need....I can see this thing being a very usable option. Yes, I did plug up my Iphone, and get a charge....but the most practical feature is the self powered fan that fuels the fire.....this thing got a HOT roaring fire going almost instantly. I used the first semi dry twigs/branches I could find in the yard....not exactly seasoned hickory. I was boiling water in my cup in short order( I should have timed it, but forgot). I like it, and will continue to test/use/experiment with it. YMMV.
    I've been wondering how those stoves would work. Glad to hear that yours did the trick! I'm a big fan of my MSR Pocket Rocket.

Feedback Score
    I personally like dual fuel stoves. Msr are nice.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    I've been looking at getting one of these for a while, as I've heard a lot of good reports on them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like the concept of that kit, but it seems rather large/heavy for what it is.

If I have to pack it around, I'd rather use something like this kettle at 5oz weight - 20oz capacity for $20
    http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Water-Kettle/dp/B00ZDBGRFS

And use it over a hobo stove (I use the canteen shaped stove, you could use a round one if you don't use those canteens) for about 3-4oz weight sub $20.
    http://www.canteenshop.com/cooking.html
    or an Esbit stove at $10 and 6 ounces
    http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Ultralig.../dp/B001C1UGVO you can still treat it like a hobo stove if you run out of fuel cubes, or you have the time/opportunity to use harvested fuel instead of the cubes.

The added benefit to the kettle I listed above is that the lid is well sized, so you can store items inside of the kettle while it's in your pack, reducing bulk even further.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast