Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: How to make performance better (DD)/spare parts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0

    How to make performance better (DD)/spare parts

    Hey guys, I'm new to ARs when it comes to do's,don'ts- parts- brands etc. I've been reading the stickys like crazy.

    I recently got a Daniel Defense (DD) v5 with ecotech 512 and BUIS

    I was wondering 2 things.

    1) how can I make my Daniel defense better? I love the rifle, thinking about maybe getting one stage trigger for ligther pull.

    Also what does the bolt upgrade with the oring and heavier spring for the extractor do?


    2) I want to get a spare parts kit, what parts should I really focus on?

    Also when it comes to lube I want something that will last! Not to turn this in to VS. thread but is motor oil as good as everyone saids? Been looking at slp2000 ewl.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 03-09-12 at 13:42.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to ARs when it comes to do's,don'ts- parts- brands etc. I've been reading the stickys like crazy.

    I recently got a Daniel Defense (DD) v5 with ecotech 512 and BUIS

    I was wondering 2 things.

    1) how can I make my Daniel defense better? I love the rifle, thinking about maybe getting one stage trigger for ligther pull.

    Also what does the bolt upgrade with the oring and heavier spring for the extractor do?


    2) I want to get a spare parts kit, what parts should I really focus on?

    Also when it comes to lube, I'm anal as hell. Not to turn this in to VS. thread but is motor oil as good as everyone saids? Been looking at slp2000 ewl.

    Thanks!
    i think your choice of words should be the first thought in your mind in the future.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post
    i think your choice of words should be the first thought in your mind in the future.
    LMAO. We see where you mind is sir!

    Bad choice of words on my parts.

    I'm pick in how I keep my weapons clean and stored. Wanted to know motor oil 10w-30 is just as good as slp2000 ewl

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    sorry, for derailing your original post. ;-)

    i am new at all of this with rifles. i've been searching a bunch and reading tons of posts from those who have a lot more experience with all of this than i do.

    i'll step aside, as i am interested in any responses you may receive, too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    316
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Since you are new to ARs. In answer to #1: shoot it...a lot.

    The DDM4v5 is pretty much GTG out of the box. Shoot a couple thousand rounds through it and see how you like it before replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

    Any money spent now needlessly switching stuff around would be better spent on ammo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post
    sorry, for derailing your original post. ;-)

    i am new at all of this with rifles. i've been searching a bunch and reading tons of posts from those who have a lot more experience with all of this than i do.

    i'll step aside, as i am interested in any responses you may receive, too.
    you are all good buddy lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Since you are new to ARs. In answer to #1: shoot it...a lot.

    The DDM4v5 is pretty much GTG out of the box. Shoot a couple thousand rounds through it and see how you like it before replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

    Any money spent now needlessly switching stuff around would be better spent on ammo.

    What about spare parts kit/ the extractor mod..is it totally necessary?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    644
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sounds like a solid carbine. Best to go shoot it, take some classes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Sounds like a solid carbine. Best to go shoot it, take some classes.
    I'm planning on doing that now. Getting the required gear. How does 175 for a full day private lesson sound?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Braselton, GA
    Posts
    1,662
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd say no to the extractor mod.

    As far as spare parts, a spare bolt should pretty much cover you. I'd buy another DD if I were you or at least make sure whatever you get is MPI.

    RE Lube...there are a million threads here about it and some guys change lubes more than they change their underwear. I started using SLIP2000 last year after using CLP for the past 10 years and the SLIP is much better. It doesn't deteriorate nearly as quickly as the CLP used to.

    If I were you, I'd get 12 PMAGs, a good Carbine Course, and 1k rounds of quality brass cased ammo before I worried about buying a spare bolt, though. I'm telling you, a basic carbine class from someone like Vickers will answer many of the questions you may have as well as teaching you good weapons handling, manipulation, and marksmanship techniques.
    Industry Disclosure: LGS employee

    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Braselton, GA
    Posts
    1,662
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    I'm planning on doing that now. Getting the required gear. How does 175 for a full day private lesson sound?
    It really depends on who the instructor is.
    Industry Disclosure: LGS employee

    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    It really depends on who the instructor is.
    This group. I'm working on the Ammo and mags. Have 3 mags and 250 rounds.

    Ive notice it is little heavier than other but I'll take the weight as it is strong.
    Last edited by Djstorm100; 03-09-12 at 14:08.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Braselton, GA
    Posts
    1,662
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    This group. I'm working on the Ammo and mags. Have 3 mags and 250 rounds.

    Ive notice it is little heavier than other but I'll take the weight as it is strong.
    What's heavy? The M4V5 is one of the lighter rifles on the market. Do you have a pic of your setup?

    And what is "this group" for training?
    Industry Disclosure: LGS employee

    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    449
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    What's heavy? The M4V5 is one of the lighter rifles on the market. Do you have a pic of your setup?

    And what is "this group" for training?
    Heavier than my friends DMPS but its a 560.00 gun.

    I love mine, don't get me wrong at all! I would buy another one in a heart beat. One for GT and another one for comp, if I got in to competition.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    106
    Feedback Score
    0
    nice guns.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,123
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Shoot it a lot. Get professional instruction if you haven't already had some. Don't modify anything. Get a quality two-point sling if you don't already have one.

    There are spare parts kits that are worth having. Unfortunately the only prepackaged ones I know of come from Armalite (middle of the road quality) and DPMS (not recommended). I'd get the Armalite spares kit, or two of them. The parts are at least good enough. Here's the Armalite kit:

    http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARMEMK012.aspx

    Or you can separately buy the parts you are most likely to break or lose - probably the firing pin retaining pin, the extractor, and extractor spring.

    Grant, you might consider adding a spares kit to your offerings!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    416
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    how can I make my Daniel defense better? I love the rifle, thinking about maybe getting one stage trigger for ligther pull. Why does it need to be made better, is it a piece of shit? Does it not properly function? How many rounds have been fired through it before you decided you want to upgrade the trigger. If you feel it to be absolutely neccesary, look at the ALG ACT trigger.

    Also what does the bolt upgrade with the oring and heavier spring for the extractor do? This is only suggested for rifles that are over gassing, you won't have that problem with a DD.


    2) I want to get a spare parts kit, what parts should I really focus on? Read What's in your range bag?, Spare parts, and Spare parts for m4?

    Also when it comes to lube I want something that will last! Not to turn this in to VS. thread but is motor oil as good as everyone saids? Been looking at slp2000 ewl. Slip2000 or froglube are going to be the most recommended. Don't get too caught up on which lube you use. Motor oil is fine for the BCG, but you shuold use a lube on the rest of the rifle (run it wet.)

    Thanks!
    Before you decide to start dicking around and adding a bunch of unnecessary crap, shoot the gun first. Put a can of ammo through it first and then decide what needs to be changed/fixed.
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

    "Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    nice socks!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    812
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A vcas sling.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    393
    Feedback Score
    0
    For spare parts I would just go with a complete bolt and firing pin. Not necessarily needed of course and if your going to go in deep it is better have a full gun.

    Nothing wrong with the factory extractor and spring in the DD from my experience.

    I often just use 10W 30, but it is a "poison of choice" area anyway.

    Would pull the Eotech back a little so its all on the receiver (the part that hovers can continue to hover over the rails).

    Maybe some "mission essentials" like a sling, flashlight, and QD mount for the Eotech. Depends with what you want to do with the rifle.

    Maybe some grease on the trigger until it smooths out, should hold off on new trigger until you shoot enough to break it in and get a good feel.

    Really though you don't need to do much besides lube it and shoot it and sleep over the details and alterations.
    Luck is awesome. The more proficient you are at what you do the luckier you seem to be.

    Do what you love and love what you do.

    Shooter and survivalist by hobby.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    31
    Feedback Score
    0
    its a solid rifle out of the box, but there is no substitute for trigger time. practice a lot and improve your skills and during the course of getting some trigger time you will slowly figure out what spare parts/upgrades are needed and/or desired. you can go ahead and purchase a bunch of stuff now and roll the dice on what really works best for you, but my advice would be to shoot about 2k rounds through it first and then revisit the upgrades.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •