Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full-Metal, No-Nonsense AR?

Feedback Score

Full-Metal, No-Nonsense AR?

I like plastics and polymers as much as the next guy, but I've always wondered what an all-metal AR platform would be like. Granted, it would be significantly heavier, but it wouldn't be a crew-served weapon or anything. Would anyone like to guess how heavy such a rifle would be? What kind of metals could you use to make it as light as possible, without adding any polymer components? Before you say it's impractical, let me say this is only brainstorming.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

P.S. Here's a song I'm listening to, thought I'd share it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yHQAA7XW8

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My all metal, non polymer AR weighs 37.2lbs fully loaded. Impractical yes.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All metal? The only non-metal part on many AR's is the stock and the grip. Quad-rails and float tubes are already made of aluminum vs. the stock M-4 plastic. An aluminum grip could be built that isn't much heavier than the plastic one. A wire stock like the old .30 carbine paratrooper stock wouldn't be too heavy either. I bet it could be done for under 8#.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 03-12-12 at 02:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not for me! I don't metal in my hands or on my face when it's below freezing or the sun is frying my brains in the desert. Matter of fact, my forearms are made either from polymer or carbon fiber to insulate my hands from the hot barrel, not aluminum. When I want Heavy Metal, this is what I put on!

(Ok, so you have to be a Battletech or Mechwarrior geek to get it)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-12-12 at 04:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor Trail View Post
    I like plastics and polymers as much as the next guy, but I've always wondered what an all-metal AR platform would be like. Granted, it would be significantly heavier, but it wouldn't be a crew-served weapon or anything. Would anyone like to guess how heavy such a rifle would be? What kind of metals could you use to make it as light as possible, without adding any polymer components? Before you say it's impractical, let me say this is only brainstorming.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

P.S. Here's a song I'm listening to, thought I'd share it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yHQAA7XW8
    I'm convinced you're a teenager that doesn't own guns.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I’m going to start a new hobby, it’s called posting replies in stupid threads before the lock. This will be number one. The way things are going around here lately it should keep be busy for awhile.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    It even says no nonsense in the title, yet the first post failed to obey.
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

Feedback Score
    You say you're brainstorming; I say it's only a drizzle. Why would anyone want a heavier, costlier metal stock to put their face on?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Look at the threads Vapor Trail has started.... Can we report stupidity to the mods?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Your back! I figured you were still busy ironing out that 7.62x54 SBR.
    There is a home for you and your ideas here: http://ar15.com
    Matthew 10:28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast