Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the 1-6/1-8/1-10 really necessary for intermediate range shooting?

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)

Are the 1-6/1-8/1-10 really necessary for intermediate range shooting?

Title says it all, I have an acog with an offset t1 on my 16" ss barreled AR and an nxs 2.5-10 with offset t1 on my 16" 308 carbine, and I've never felt a want for anything else, but this torrent of new 1-6+ optics hitting the market has left me feeling like there is something I don't know. I shoot at a wide range of distances from paper stands I have from ~10 yards out to 50 and steel targets out to 800, and conditions depending, I can even hit the 800 yard gong pretty consistently with the acog. For close up shots on both setups its just a slight cant to the left and I have the T1 there, granted I have yet to take a class with these setups so I am not sure how practical this *really* is but I can't see how it would be harder than adjusting a power ring.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is am I missing something? I see the march and leupold and s&b all with hefty weights, even heftier price tags and tiny exit pupils and I can't help but wonder why there is all this clamoring to scoop them up. I would think that 800 yards would be the extreme maximum for a 556 cartridge, and while I wouldn't be winning any competitions, I can hit a man sized target at that distance with 4X magnification and I am by no means a great shot. What benefit does the 6X and 8X give you that is worth the increase in weight and size while also being less forgiving to the shooter? Also, with how unforgiving the eyebox seems to be (I've only seen the CQBSS and I was less than impressed) is the 1x function even all that functional for FAST shots? I can't see how anyone could say that it could compete for speed with something like an eotech, or even a 1-4 that is more forgiving to the shooter.

For ~$1800 you can pick up an H1, offset mount, and a 2.5-10 of good quality and an adm or larue mount and still be in for less than half the cost the 1-8's with daytime visible dot. That's about 2200 you could spend on ammunition or classes etc, so do the benefits of the 1-8's really outweigh all this?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I don't think that 8x is worth $1000 to me over the current best of the breed 1-6s on a 5.56, and that 6x is only worth it if the weight is low and the eye-box is generous.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I would agree that somewhere between 4 and 6 power magnification is the top for a low powered variable that still works well up close - that also matches really well with the effective point target range of a carbine it's likely to be riding on. Sure, 800m hits are possible, but I don't want to try and wrangle an optic into mediocrity on many important aspects in order to improve the zoom level slightly at that range.
    I'm with F2S that if somebody comes up with a proper 6x optic with light weight and good eyebox (Swaro comes close, Leupold Mk6 could be a game changer), but until then the prime choices are all 1-4x units like the Short Dot, and TR24T.

My argument for preferring the all-in-one setup is the weight and simplicity, especially when loading it up onto a carbine that already has a weaponlight and IR laser/illuminator unit - making offset sights less desirable...

The primary function is at the low end, where I want something that has a simple dot that can be used quickly up close, then as needed I'll crank up the magnification for target ID or longer shots, and for that even the pricier low powered variable wins.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I would agree that somewhere between 4 and 6 power magnification is the top for a low powered variable that still works well up close - that also matches really well with the effective point target range of a carbine it's likely to be riding on. Sure, 800m hits are possible, but I don't want to try and wrangle an optic into mediocrity on many important aspects in order to improve the zoom level slightly at that range.
    I'm with F2S that if somebody comes up with a proper 6x optic with light weight and good eyebox (Swaro comes close, Leupold Mk6 could be a game changer), but until then the prime choices are all 1-4x units like the Short Dot, and TR24T.

My argument for preferring the all-in-one setup is the weight and simplicity, especially when loading it up onto a carbine that already has a weaponlight and IR laser/illuminator unit - making offset sights less desirable...

The primary function is at the low end, where I want something that has a simple dot that can be used quickly up close, then as needed I'll crank up the magnification for target ID or longer shots, and for that even the pricier low powered variable wins.
    TehLlama
    I think you hit the nail on the head. The GRSC 1-6 FFP CRS addresses the issues you brought up. It has a long eye relief, generous eye box, it is about the same size and weight of many of the 1-4 scopes on the market, a very fast simple BDC, works like a red dot at 1x and at $1025.00 the price is very reasonable.

Ed
    Last edited by GRSC; 03-05-12 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It will be interesting to see how these new 1-6 scopes shake out. The USO 1.5-6x DFP, Leupold Mark 6, SWFA 1-6x, and Bushnell Elite all look to have promise (albeit in different price points). I think the 8x erectors as seen in the S&B, Leupold, and Premier are on the bleeding edge of today's technology. But the newer 1-6s seem like they are doable at reasonable prices, without giving up too much capability.

I have plans for a 1-6 for my 7.62 build, so here's hoping they work out.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRSC View Post
    TehLlama
    I think you hit the nail on the head. The GRSC 1-6 FFP CRS addresses the issues you brought up. It has a long eye relief, generous eye box, it is about the same size and weight of many of the 1-4 scopes on the market, a very fast simple BDC, works like a red dot at 1x and at $1025.00 the price is very reasonable.

Ed
    I have no affiliation with Ed and GRSC other than being a owner of one of the 1-6 scopes. All I can say is, WOW! Seriously, I absolutely love this scope. The eye relief is epically amazing, the reticle is really easy to use and accurate with my hand loaded 69gr SMK's and 55's.

I use this for 3gun, and my 3gun rifle doubles as a DMR/Recce. Perfect scope for the role.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wouldn't higher magnification allow you to see smaller targets at longer ranges? If so, then.....you......have to determine what size targets you want to shoot at, at what range you want to shoot at, how much you want to spend, and how heavy do you want your rifle. For me 4x allows me to hit a 5" shoot'n'c at 250 yds from a fairly stable rest at a fairly fast clip. Anything much past 300 yds I'm looking for more magnification.

Feedback Score
    I think one of the best things about higher magnification is target identification. Shooting steel targets at a match is really different than shooting at someone.

Feedback Score
    At Kyle Defoor's Adv. Carbine course in January, we shot from contact to 25, then at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. Shooters with non-magnified glass were good to go easily out to 200 from what I saw/heard. The big difference was at 3-400 yards when those of us with variable scopes were able to enjoy ourselves much more. At 400 the A/C zone steel was not even visible without magnification. Some of the folks with Aimpoints and EOTechs eventually were able to make hits (and more did so at 300), but they had to really work at it.

Aside from actually making the hits... there is the issue of being able to identify the target as shoot or no-shoot. In the case of 400 yards, we had trouble seeing a white, shiny, metal plate surrounded by green pine trees and hay backstops. Now imagine a person who doesn't want to be seen and is wearing colors that make that tough.

All in all, whether the cost and weight are worth it comes down to your goals and shooting style; How often you will shoot at distance. What kind of shooting (NRA bullseye, hunting, 3-gun, etc.) you will do; How good your eyesight is; and in many cases what facilities are available. If you can't shoot anywhere beyond 100yds, then more powerful glass may not be worth it no matter how affordable.

My advice would be to try as many different scopes as you can get your hands on, and maybe take a course that involves shooting at distance. For me, not having kids, the cost is easier to deal with than for others. And I love that my scope has a 1x option with daytime visible illumination. I feel like I have the best of both worlds and a scope that can do everything.

Full disclosure: the Swarovski Z6i is the only variable power scope I own or have owned. I plan on taking courses that stretch things out to 600yds and as major purchases go, the scope is one that I am very pleased with making.
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-07-12 at 16:25.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    SWFA is accepting pre-orders on their new 1-6X. Seems like a pretty compelling package for the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast