Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAR - Mike Pannone 2 Day Adv. Carbine - 3-10-12 Pueblo CO

Feedback Score
    Nice reviews.

I can add a few things from my perspective.

This was my first class and the reason I choose this class was based on Mike’s reputation. I was not interested in a mega round count blast away type of class. Reading other reviews of the CTTS classes I was expecting plenty of shooting but also some really good stuff on malfunctions and AR operation.

The malfunction clearance block was well worth the cost of the class. Mike really understands how the AR works and his methods of clearing malfunctions are simple and effective. These methods don’t require you to look at the gun and are designed to work exactly the same in broad daylight or pitch black. Learning to quickly clear a bolt override double feed or a charging handle impingement while blindfolded is the big hard skill take away I got from the class.

We shot a variety of drills including several different types of half and half, 4/100, S drills, 10 magazine reloading drills. I shot almost 1200 rnds and never felt like we were blowing through ammo just to bolster the course round count.

Mike’s attitude as an instructor was great. I half expected a little grief at the beginning of the class because I showed up with a Hubble telescope on my AR but he just asked a few questions about the unconventional adjustments and that was it.

If you can figure out a way to get to one of his classes I highly recommend you do it.

Feedback Score
    You were Hubble!

I was half tempted to toss my PSOP on to give you a little support.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    "There were things that were not even mentioned in the class. Administrative reloads/reloads with retention, the whole rotate the rifle counter clockwise when the shooting stops to eyeball the chamber (is that actually a operational thing, or a tacticool thing?), and I don’t recall even seeing anyone do it. Sight picture, flash sighting, how to use the optics or irons etc."

Sticks, my approach in other than beginner courses (which I haven't taught yet) is to address those things in the basic skills set that are being violated. If no violations occur I leave shooters to continue on other tasks.
    We talked about flash sight picture in the body mechanics block as well as on the modified 1/2 & 1/2 and talked about how to use and adjust optics during the zero and grouping exercises. Iron sights are a completely different exercise and are very time consuming so I left them alone or risk spending an entire day on zeroing both iron and optic. I have actually thought about running an iron sight only course but interest is about zero and with the tremendous reliability and durability of modern electro-optical sights the time is better served with the primary optic.

I hope that clears that up. It was an omission for efficiency not an oversight.

*The "rotate the rifle" thing is "tacticool" in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Sticks,

I do remember the sight picture explanation during the 5 yard portion of the modified ˝ and ˝. A lot of guys were not really driving the gun to the target on the first shot and Mike went into how important getting the first round into the A Zone in less than 0.7 seconds if you want to make the 1.25 second par time.

His point was you might have to rely on body mechanics for the first shot and might not find the dot until shot 2. Of course a nice black crosshair is much easier to see, you guys with your red dots.

The looking at the chamber was covered extensively in the malfunction block and Mike was really clear that the goal is to be able to run the gun without looking at the gun. Shooting a mag empty to slide lock has a different feel than a malfunction and you need to learn that feel.

I figured the whole reason for the blindfold malfunction clearance drills was to get us to realize how to get the gun running again without taking the time to look and losing focus on what could be happening downrange.

I personally got some reloading instruction when Mike caught me using the charging handle to drop an open bolt after I reloaded.

I suspect anyone has done well if you remember even half of the instruction in a class like this with so much information.

Mike,

You also covered the whole “rotate the rifle and then give it a twirl” thing to dislodge the magazine. I remember you thought it might just be more efficient to buy mags that dropped free and also mentioned that this technique might have been popularized by some who also make magazines that might stick more often than others.

I appreciate that I was not subjected to a “how to adjust iron sights” block of instruction. I understand it might be applicable in some classes but that was not the reason I came to your class.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MP01 View Post
    Sticks, my approach in other than beginner courses (which I haven't taught yet) is to address those things in the basic skills set that are being violated. If no violations occur I leave shooters to continue on other tasks.
    We talked about flash sight picture in the body mechanics block as well as on the modified 1/2 & 1/2 and talked about how to use and adjust optics during the zero and grouping exercises. Iron sights are a completely different exercise and are very time consuming so I left them alone or risk spending an entire day on zeroing both iron and optic. I have actually thought about running an iron sight only course but interest is about zero and with the tremendous reliability and durability of modern electro-optical sights the time is better served with the primary optic.

I hope that clears that up. It was an omission for efficiency not an oversight.

*The "rotate the rifle" thing is "tacticool" in my opinion.
    That is what I was trying to convey - Yours was an advanced course - not for the novice.

Now I need to start kicking the wife's Jeep out of the garage so I can at least go through the physical motions of some of your teachings (gonna have the PD show up if I do them in the back yard, no room in the house).

Thanks for answering the "Tacticool" thing.

ETA - As far as Irons, maybe a drill to have a transition to irons in the middle by removing RDS with the QR mounts or honor system and turn off the RDS. Shit happens when you don't want it to, like me forgetting to turn mine back on after lunch at the beginning of a timed drill.
    Last edited by Sticks; 03-16-12 at 03:50.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score

FINALLY - more pics

Here is a phase by phase of me doing the "S" drill.

Start: Strong side

Transition to support side

Firing from kneeling support side

Transition to kneeling strong side:

Firing strong side kneeling

Transition to secondary kneeling

Firing secondary kneeling

Transition to reverse prone

Firing reverse prone
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12