Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAVAGE CANCELS 300 BLK PRODUCTION

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

SAVAGE CANCELS 300 BLK PRODUCTION

Savage cancels production due to piss poor accuracy

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...rbine-project/
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    If memory serves, that had something to do with their selection of a piss poor twist rate. 1/10 or something...
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is there any other company who will be offering a 300blk in a bolt gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jared91 View Post
    Is there any other company who will be offering a 300blk in a bolt gun?
    There are 3 or 4 currently available already.

Remington 700
    Micro (or is it Macro) 7
    Thompson makes one
    For some reason I think another manufacture was making one but I can't remember the name now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    If memory serves, that had something to do with their selection of a piss poor twist rate. 1/10 or something...
    I was gonna say the same....

The Remington 700 is a 1-7

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...-300-blackout/

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Savage announced this rifle in 1/10 twist and with a 20 inch barrel. Factory subsonic ammunition is only designed to be subsonic in barrels up to 16 inches, so one would expect the rounds to go transonic in a 20 inch barrel – reducing accuracy. Further, the Sierra 220 grain bullets require 1/8 or faster twist to be stable enough at subsonic speeds. 1/10 twist would not likely work – so it is no surprise that they had disappointing results. Really if they were not going to do enough R&D they could have asked for development help from AAC.
    -RSilvers
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am classic late adopter for new technology. And I have not even been able to see the value in this load. It has been a huge success, one of these days, but not today.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I am classic late adopter for new technology. And I have not even been able to see the value in this load. It has been a huge success, one of these days, but not today.
    Two words, Expanding Sub-sonic.
    When someone gets that one figured out for a less than astronomical cost, there's your value. I've got to admit, it's fun to shoot a suppressed shorty AR that's not still loud as hell...
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    Two words, Expanding Sub-sonic.
    When someone gets that one figured out for a less than astronomical cost, there's your value. I've got to admit, it's fun to shoot a suppressed shorty AR that's not still loud as hell...
    Yup... But I decided to do THIS:

Attachment 12405

Sbr, supressed 9mm, glock mags.

Cheaper to shoot and QUIET!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowepg View Post
    Yup... But I decided to do THIS:

Attachment 12405

Sbr, supressed 9mm, glock mags.

Cheaper to shoot and QUIET!
    I have doubts about 9mm for use in a rifle for self defense or hunting. .300 Blackout might cost more, but it is a full size rifle round, and you can hunt critters with it and defend your life, liberty, and property with it, and feel much more confident then you would with a pistol caliber rifle. I'd much rather pay more for the .300 Blackout simply because I am, in a literal sense, getting more cartridge for my money.

Now if you don't plan on using the gun for one of those two above mentioned uses, then I'm sure it will do the job just fine. I'm sure it's also fun as hell to shoot. It's just my humble opinion that 9mm and .300 Blackout are not really comparable, and the latter should be preferred for "serious" usage.

Regarding this thread, I'm pretty surprised that a company that is known for accuracy would be unable to get a modern, special purpose designed cartridge to be accurate. It looks like they just didn't end making the correct barrel in terms of both twist and length.... That really can not be too hard to rectify, can it?

I like the idea that it would be easy to make a very compact bolt action in .300 Blackout, seeing as how it shouldn't be very difficult to convert a standard .223 bolt rifle into one. I think a ultra compact and light 16 inch barreled model with a threaded barrel and a lower price point then what the AAC offering is at would probably sell well with people who hunt in more up close settings, and would also make an excellent "every mans rifle". The AAC offering has a premium grade barrel (I think) and an adjustable cheekpiece. I don't think a light, handy short range rifle built for your average Joe needs features like that, and I bet some cost can be eliminated right there.
    Taken from a random Sniper's Hide Post
    It's really hard to judge by the size, but that [critter] looks to be in the class of "Big Mother ****er" and perhaps the family of "Stay the **** Back"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast