Thread: SKS Pro Mag feed failure

Feedback Score

SKS Pro Mag feed failure

So, I am trying to get a Norinco SKS that was given to me as a gift to work properly. The original 10 rd magazine was not included when I received it. I bought a couple Pro-Mag 20 rd magazines which fit just fine but don't seem to sit high enough in the magazine well to feed properly.

There is no feed ramp on this rifle and the rounds typically get jammed into the wall beneath the chamber and then the bullet is unsteated and pushed back an eighth inch or so into the brass. Any quick fixes I'm missing? I don't plan on modifying or shaping the area around the chamber.
    Last edited by FishTaco; 11-05-15 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I thought you were trying to jam a magpul pmag into an SKS. Title is a bit misleading.

Get an original mag for it? https://www.buymilsurp.com/magazine-...ing-p-274.html

Seriously Pro mag is junk, I would grab tapco before them, and even they have a rep that isn't great, me being generous. if you are looking for a project though, have at modding the Pro-mag.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Try the tapco or grab an original magazine for your SKS. Promag and thermold are two companies that basically prove bad brands can live forever. I remember seeing them being sold for $40 during the post Sandy Hook panic. They were the only mags that seemed to have never been picked up by customers. It helped restore my faith in humanity

When you get your rifle to run try and get some groupings with it. I hear these carbines are usually pretty accurate. You might also try seeing if you can't find a stock that accepts AK mags but I've never seen one advertised, but I honestly never looked very hard.
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice both of you. Unfortunately, the stock status is 0 at the link to MulSurp magazines. Guess I'll have to try to find an original on ebay or something.

I definitely want to see how this rifle will shoot and will do a fair amount of accuracy testing. Have been reading a lot about the SKS and the system seems solid as a tank.
    Last edited by FishTaco; 11-06-15 at 01:01.

Feedback Score
    I've seen them on Gunbroker before, you might also try the equipment exchange on here.

From my understanding the problem with the tapco mags isn't really their reliability so much as their relatively poor durability, when compared to other AR mags. From what I've seen their AK mags were more durable on the locking block than the original Magpul versions. However I'd wager that's no longer the case with the M3 AK mags.
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the SKS is solid as a tank when run with the original magazines. There are several on ebay right now. Most factory mags are 10rds, but they even made 20rd factory mags.