Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR Build: Noveske bbl / Mega Monolithic Upper

Feedback Score

SBR Build: Noveske bbl / Mega Monolithic Upper

Finished this last night after finally receiving my stamp. Details are as follows:

- Spikes lower
    - Mega Monolithic tubular mid-length upper
    - Vltor A5 stock system
    - MIAD Grip
    - Magpul RSA
    - VTAC Padded sling (not pictured)
    - Surefire X300
    - MBUS
    - Spikes NIB BCG
    - Geissele SDC trigger
    - Noveske 11.5" stainless bbl (KG coated in black)
    - ADM Mount
    - Aimpoint T-1 (yes, I bought it before there was a 2MOA)
    - Smith Vortex hider
    - G&R Tactical LPK
    - BCM Medium charging handle

I realize some folks will poo poo the Spikes parts, but the deal I got was too good not to use them. The diameter of the handguard portion is nice and feels good - now I just need to see how much heat transfer there is going to be with it.

More (better) photos and a review of how it shoots, the upper, etc. will be coming shortly.

The only hiccup for now is the Noveske gas block. The upper allows access to the bottom set screw, but not the cross-pin that goes underneath the block. I emailed pics to Noveske to see if the gas block must have that pin, or if I need to use another brand gas block.
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-14-12 at 15:12.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks like a really nice build, itching to do an sbr.

Feedback Score
    nicest piece ive seen in a while, good job!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What do you have your x300 mounted in?
    Patrolman
    USMC 0621
    Brass Junkie

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Funk the X300 is just mounted on the top rail. I didn't do anything to it as it has the interface for a pic rail from the box.
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-15-12 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wouldn't worry about the spikes parts, if the lower is in spec its the same as every other forged quality lower, it just has a spider on it. The bolt, if it has been mp and hp tested will be fine.

Glad to see the Mega upper was curious about those it looks really nice.

Great build.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGUGLY View Post
    Wouldn't worry about the spikes parts, if the lower is in spec its the same as every other forged quality lower, it just has a spider on it. The bolt, if it has been mp and hp tested will be fine.

Glad to see the Mega upper was curious about those it looks really nice.

Great build.
    Thanks!

lol! Oh, I'm not worried about the Spikes parts. I just know some people can't help but make negative comments about them.
    Last edited by El Cid; 03-15-12 at 12:11.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The only hiccup for now is the Noveske gas block. The upper allows access to the bottom set screw, but not the cross-pin that goes underneath the block. I emailed pics to Noveske to see if the gas block must have that pin, or if I need to use another brand gas block.
    Assuming it's a Noveske low profile gas block, the pin is basically insurance, but I'd be certain to locktite or rock set the set screw...probably rock set since it's not affected by heat like locktite is.
    Last edited by adh; 03-15-12 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    Assuming it's a Noveske low profile gas block, the pin is basically insurance, but I'd be certain to locktite or rock set the set screw...probably rock set since it's not affected by heat like locktite is.
    And that is basically the same advise I received from Noveske. I will probably just run it until there is an issue and then look into a different gas block. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Took the rifle to the range this past weekend and it shot great. I didn't have time to sight it in or anything because the range makes you buy/use their ammo (think XM193 - $12+ for a box of 20...). I shot some of theirs, but was sneaking in some 77gr and 70gr stuff to make sure the gun runs with it. Put 83 rounds through with a few different mags and had no issues. I'll give the rifle a proper workout in the weeks to come - this was more of a function check.

The forearm does get quite warm. Had I kept shooting, I'd have needed to put on gloves. As it was, I waited for it to cool a bit so as not to burn my rifle bag. Recoil was nothing special, though I didn't have any other rifles to do a side by side.

It handles nicely, but I'm not really feeling the HK hook/RSA set up. I also have long arms and it's tough to shoot with my support arm outstretched. So, I ordered a couple of IWC/Mount-n-Slot hand stops and their QD socket for this upper/handguard. Not sure yet how to configure the handstops, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking one on the left for the web of my hand and one underneath at the end to hook my fingers (the way I use the VFG on my 16" rifle). I cannot get a thumb over grip with the X300 mounted, so I try to do a thumbs forward grip.

A few better pics (from a camera not attached to a phone):

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast