Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to AR's going for my first build

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would follow the advice here and just buy a complete rifle from DD, Colt, BCM, Rainier and even SW.

At the very least, buy a complete upper.

It's pretty easy to build a lower. Most people will only need a castle nut wrench for installing the receiver extension. Building an upper is a different story. Relatively easy to do, so long as you have the correct tools, but the tool investment can be a lot higher.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
    I would follow the advice here and just buy a complete rifle from DD, Colt, BCM, Rainier and even SW.

At the very least, buy a complete upper.

It's pretty easy to build a lower. Most people will only need a castle nut wrench for installing the receiver extension. Building an upper is a different story. Relatively easy to do, so long as you have the correct tools, but the tool investment can be a lot higher.
    Yea ive been going over everything again and im going to redo everything so far. Ive been working on just what I want the upper to be. And all this will be funds permitting at the end but probably will be manageable.

I saw on the BCM site actually has what I was putting together. Its a 16" mid length light weight upper receiver group with DD omegaX 9 rail. before I found it this is what I had going so far for the upper:

BCM Stripped upper
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle mod 4
    DD Omega Rail midlength 9.0
    DD 16” CHF barrel

So far thats what ive got for the upper with many hours of research. Still debating on just going with the complete or going ahead and building it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmp007 View Post
    Yea ive been going over everything again and im going to redo everything so far. Ive been working on just what I want the upper to be. And all this will be funds permitting at the end but probably will be manageable.

I saw on the BCM site actually has what I was putting together. Its a 16" mid length light weight upper receiver group with DD omegaX 9 rail. before I found it this is what I had going so far for the upper:

BCM Stripped upper
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group
    DD Omega Rail midlength 9.0
    DD 16” CHF barrel

So far thats what ive got for the upper with many hours of research. Still debating on just going with the complete or going ahead and building it
    Looks like your making progress

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primeform View Post
    Looks like your making progress
    haha thanks man. Im leaning towards magpul stuff on the lower end but hopefully have enough time to look into it in the next day or so and get a lower parts list up

Feedback Score
    Looking for opinions on lower ends? Im thinking of maybe going with the BCM lower receiver groups. For the above setup ive mentioned would this be a good choice or is there a better route to go

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BCM blemished lower. Done.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you really want to do a build how about a semi-build. This is what I did.

LMT complete lower with LMT LPK
    BCM 14.5" Mid length upper
    BCM BCG
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    Troy flip up Buis front and rear

All I had to do was attache the upper to the lower and I was ready to roll. However you can purchase a Colt 6920 for less than what I paid for my weapon. Just depends upon how much you want to spend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    If you really want to do a build how about a semi-build. This is what I did.

LMT complete lower with LMT LPK
    BCM 14.5" Mid length upper
    BCM BCG
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    Troy flip up Buis front and rear

All I had to do was attache the upper to the lower and I was ready to roll. However you can purchase a Colt 6920 for less than what I paid for my weapon. Just depends upon how much you want to spend.
    Actually just got done looking at LMT and think thats going to be my choice in lower ends. Also want troy BUIS and a few other little things but that can come later

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Your first AR carbine should look like this-

and should continue looking like this until you shoot it enough to know yourself what it needs

Maybe not as much fun as spending money on a bunch of cool looking stuff that you have no idea what it does, but it's a helluva lot cheaper
    ^^^this

Feedback Score
    So i think ive got everything for the most part.

BCM Stripped upper
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group
    DD OmegaX Rail FSP Carbine 12.0
    DD 16” lightweight carbine gas barrel w/FSB 1/7 twist(CHF)
    LMT Defender Lower with Collapsing Stock and Standard Trigger(complete lower)

will add some accessory odds and ends but thats my main platform. Open to opinions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast