Thread: Anyone else using IMR 4198?

Feedback Score

Anyone else using IMR 4198?

Been reloading for the .223 for quite some time mainly with IMR 4198. Just wondering if anyone else uses this powder and possibly in 556 nato rounds. I have one very accurate load with this powder and the 55 gr. PSP. Maybe someone can share some other pet loads.
    "If there were more sane people with guns, there would soon be a lot fewer insane people with guns."

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Feedback Score

Not recently

I had tried this powder in a 16" carbine gas system and did not get the performance I was looking for before over pressure issues arose.

However I am about to embark on and SBR load development for use with a suppressor and have thought that maybe the fast powders and light bullet combinations would reduce the dwell time and apparent over gassing that normally accompanies that type rifle.

Feedback Score
    I recently tried IMR4189 with 55 Hornady SP WC bullets. I used 19.4 grains. Both my 16" midlength and 20" rifle (both BCM) functioned fine. I can't really say how well they grouped as I was shooting unmagnified. All my shots hit the black (13") at 200 yards though. I don't think I'll be using 4189 again though because it didn't meter too well through my Uniflow. I have since switched to WC844.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I did some 223 type loads with IMR 4198 eons ago but it sucks in a powder measure so gave it up long ago.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score

Thanks Guys.

Thanks to all those that have posted. I have not had any problems at all with this powder. I currently use 20.3 gr. of this powder over a CCI 400 SRP and the 55 gr. Rem PSP. My model 11 bolt action Savage consistantly prints ragged cloverleaf 3 shot groups at 100 yards off a bench and rest. My Colt LE6920 is not too far off with groups of .5 or less at the same distance with this load. I hand measure my loads on a scale as I want the utmost accuracy with either of these two rifles. I use the Savage mainly for coyote, deer,and hog hunting and have no fear in taking head shots at 200 + yards on still targets, but on deer and hogs I usually shoot for the heart and lungs. I am hoping to use the ar for quicker follow up shots. But thanks for the replies anyway.
    "If there were more sane people with guns, there would soon be a lot fewer insane people with guns."

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Feedback Score
    I've tried IMR4198 in a few calibers - never found it to be a good powder in any of my firearms. Especially .223 Rem AR round never got good group or consistant velocities .