Thread: DIY: UBR sling plate mod...attaching a pic rail/monopod

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

DIY: UBR sling plate mod...attaching a pic rail/monopod

Figured I would share a project I finally got around to attempting mainly because the AR part mfg'rs won't listen to me

I understand this mod isn't for everyone as it requires first and foremost a particular type of stock..the UBR. It also essentially requires that you enjoy or appreciate shooting your UBR equipped AR in a precision capacity, preferably prone. So with that said, if you love shooting precision based ARs with UBRs on them...this is one helluva sweet mod.

Basically I'm just doing a pictorial of my own process in order to give folks the initial spark, some folks might see a better approach. After doing this once, and learning some more while doing it, I'd already change several smalls areas on my first fully working and tested proto. So by no means is my method meant to express the perfect solution, rather just one that happens to work thus far.

Things I did....

I machined a small section of pic rail, and the next machined a small riser for mounting b/t the pic rail section, and the bottom side of the sling loop plate. Then I drilled two screw holes through both the riser, and pic rail section. With the sling plate removed...lined up the riser, and pic rail section to the portion where I wanted it mounted on the sliing loop plate, and finally sunk two screws (loctited) through the riser, pic rail section, and ultimately in the sling loop plate. Amazingly solid, and totally free of movement.

Final product

Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-16-12 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nicely done! I have an old sling plate lying around if you need it for other projects.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Damn! Nice mod!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 2: cut the bottom off at the top side of the lowest ring on the grip, thread the whole of the inside at a fine pitch and make a center rod/tube threaded to match and refit the cap to the new male threaded rod/tube to create a foot for the end of it.
    Result will be that not only do you have a monopod, you have a precision elevation adjustable monopod.
    The cutting off of the bottom ring will allow the rod/tube to screw in a bit more to give a few more degrees muzzle elevation and unscrewing the rod/tube will depress the muzzle right up to the point that the rod/tube comes completely out.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Great job Trident.

Alway like innovative ideas and this is a good one.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    That's a pretty slick DIY mod for that particular rifle. Nicely done.