Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Vs Milspec Vs A5 system

Feedback Score

Commercial Vs Milspec Vs A5 system

I currently have a commercial receiver extension on my 11.5" BCM upper with an AGP lower and have been considering switching over to at least a Mil-spec tube or upgrading to the A5 system.

Now my question is will the benefits of switching over to either one of these be worth the costs? As of right now I have a perfectly functioning rifle that I am more than happy with but I am more than open to upgrading if it is worth it.

Thanks for the help.

Also I wasn't sure if this should be in technical or general AR discussions so if it is in the wrong place apologies.
    Last edited by tx1021; 03-16-12 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Is your rifle performing well for you now? (edit - I see that it is) Personally, I'd switch over to a milspec RE, but that's because all of my other rifles have them (or an A5) and I like the ability to switch stocks if I need to. Also, I don't mind the extra durability over a commercial RE either.

If the rifle is running well for you, I don't really see a need to switch, especially since you'll need a new stock as well to fit the milspec/A5 diameter extension.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 03-16-12 at 13:56.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What kind of stock do you have now? Just know that if you switch from Commercial to Mil-Spec, you'll have to buy a new stock too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKUSP.40 View Post
    What kind of stock do you have now? Just know that if you switch from Commercial to Mil-Spec, you'll have to buy a new stock too.
    I'm currently running an IMOD, I think the biggest cost/hassle of going to milspec will be just replacing the stock. Although if I can sell this one it will help offset the costs some.

Edited to add: I shoot with the stock one notch out from fully collapsed right now, the A5 system will have the same LOP as this when fully collapsed with an IMOD correct?
    Last edited by tx1021; 03-16-12 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tx1021 View Post

Edited to add: I shoot with the stock one notch out from fully collapsed right now, the A5 system will have the same LOP as this when fully collapsed with an IMOD correct?
    yes, you'll be able to run it with the A5 in the same position. That's where I run my SOPMODs.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Personally, I'd switch over to a milspec RE....... Also, I don't mind the extra durability over a commercial RE either.
    Is the milspec really more durable? I know the outside diameter is smaller, but do they have 'thicker' walls?

To the OP, if this is the case, I'd personally get a milspec tube.

Feedback Score
    Why fix whats not broke ? Is this for range use or duty use?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    Is the milspec really more durable? I know the outside diameter is smaller, but do they have 'thicker' walls?

To the OP, if this is the case, I'd personally get a milspec tube.
    Yes. Commercial receiver extensions are weaker because they have cut threads vs. rolled threads on a regular RE. To make cut threads, you physically remove material, typically on a lathe or NC machine. To make rolled threads, the work is fed through a series of dies that displaces the metal into the thread form without cutting or removing.

The cold-working involved in rolling threads makes the threads stronger and less prone to cracking or stripping.

Rolling the threads also helps avoid the stress riser where the commercial threads cut into the RE. Commercial tubes aren't bigger because they were trying to making the tube stronger: they have to start out at the final thread profile OD.

Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DOA View Post
    Why fix whats not broke ? Is this for range use or duty use?
    It is my primary HD weapon, but no, not a duty weapon. However, I don't think that is any reason to have sub-par equipment if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    Yes. Commercial receiver extensions are weaker because they have cut threads vs. rolled threads on a regular RE. To make cut threads, you physically remove material, typically on a lathe or NC machine. To make rolled threads, the work is fed through a series of dies that displaces the metal into the thread form without cutting or removing.

Thanks for the explanation. So do you think it's worth replacing a reliably running commercial re with a mil-spec re based on the strength differences?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tx1021 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. So do you think it's worth replacing a reliably running commercial re with a mil-spec re based on the strength differences?
    That's what i did. If you dont mind the cost of completely switching over RE kit, stock etc, i say go for it. I would go ahead and just get the A5 as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast