Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean your GLOCK!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Clean your GLOCK!

Last week, a customer brought in his GEN 4 G19 because of reliability issues. The big one was the fact that the brass was hitting him in the face.

Always liking a challenge, I said I would help. The first thing I did was field strip the gun. As I did this, I noticed HUGE chunks of brass shavings everywhere. The gun probably had less than 500-700rds through it. The majority of the ammo shot was Winchester Value Pak.

Pics of what I pulled out of this gun:

While everything was apart, I saw that there were a lot of jagged edges on the plunger and striker. So I took a hard stone and cleaned them all up and rounded and polished the plunger.

Hard lines on the striker side where it is rubbing on the channel slot.

Polishing striker

Done!

Burred plunger

Cleaned up and polished!

Put the gun back together and shot several hundred rounds through the gun. No more brass in the face! Amazing what cleaning large chunks of brass out of the gun will do.

Break Break

Next problem Glock. Buddy of mine brought in his GEN 2 G19 because of brass hitting him in the face. Like above, field stripped it and got it ready to go in the ultra sonic and what did I found? Tons of crud in EVERYTHING. It was so much that I just had to take a pic!

Cleaned everything up and shot it. No more brass to the face!

As we know (or should know), the extractor on the Glock is just BARELY making contact with the rim (as is) so anything that changes how much tension or contact there is (like brass shavings or dirt) has a big impact on it. So if your Glock is throwing brass in your face (no matter if it is a GEN1 or GEN4) make sure to pull everything out of it and clean it well.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-17-12 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Holy.....

I know Glocks are built to take hard use, but damn, man, clean the gun. Those last three pics impress the hell out of me.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Holy.....

I know Glocks are built to take hard use, but damn, man, clean the gun. Those last three pics impress the hell out of me.
    What is interesting is that on the GEN 2 G19, I was doing my normal function test of the gun (before taking it apart) and when I dry fired it, the striker felt like it was NOT coming forward hard enough (like half power).

This was my clue that something wasn't right and that the plunger was not being depressed all the way. Sure enough, I was right (as it was so full of crap).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-17-12 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Grant, I have an ritual over Christmas where I strip and clean my slide on my heavy-use Glock. I made an annual ritual of it. I also hot soapy water and toothbrush the frame.

What did you do to round and polish the FP safety?
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I'm impressed that the second gun was still running in the condition it was in. Shows testament to the ability of the weapon to run under less than ideal conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    An honest Government has no fear of an armed population.
    PSALM 109:8

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    What did you do to round and polish the FP safety?
    You can do it a number of ways. I use a fixed belt sander with a 3M Scotchbrite belt (medium) and put the FP on a punch and let it spin as I roll it (rounding the edge). Then I use a bench grinder with a big felt wheel on it and polish it up.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    I'm impressed that the second gun was still running in the condition it was in. Shows testament to the ability of the weapon to run under less than ideal conditions.
    What is even more amazing about the second gun is that the locking tab was put in backwards and the gun STILL worked.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I mean jeez, I don't clean my pistol that often, but people should know to clean the crap out of the striker channel, at the very least.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why was the one gun with th elow round count full of brass? Was the extractor shaving it?
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Why was the one gun with th elow round count full of brass? Was the extractor shaving it?
    I think so (coupled with soft brass).

C4

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast