Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Clean your GLOCK!

Feedback Score
    looks like the two users used way too much grease, also.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by royal View Post
    Grant,

I want to thank you for starting this thread. My gen 2 / 19 had been pelting me in the face (even after coming back from Smyrna) on an obnoxiously consistent basis. So much so that i stopped shooting it and almost sold it cheap. Following the full detail cleaning of the slide, FPS, extractor, (which had nasty shit and brass shavings up in there) I'm back from the range after 200+ rounds of Blazer Brass, Aguila, and some Ranger T's with ZERO brass to the noggin. Extraction patterns were sporadic in true Glock fashion, but nothing to the forehead, nose, or eyes.

The guys in Smyrna should be doing this for every non-recall gun that comes in with straight back extraction issues.
    Cool! Mission accomplished!

Folks, remove the FPS and extractor is so easy on a Glock, that I would do it EVERY TIME I shot a one thousand rounds or more. Why? Because it takes just a few extra minutes and you just never know what you will find in there (like big chunks of brass).

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Back in the day when I was an operational member of Delta Force for 15 years I would never dream of shooting 2-3000 rds in a month and never clean my weapon -regardless of what I was shooting

But hey I was never in a big city SWAT team so I probably should just shut the **** up right?

LAV
    Can I nominate this for m4c post of the year?

Back on topic, Grant thanks for this thread. I've been known to be lax between cleanings on my glocks. It was a good kick in the pants to not be lazy on them "since they are glocks".

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Can I nominate this for m4c post of the year?

Back on topic, Grant thanks for this thread. I've been known to be lax between cleanings on my glocks. It was a good kick in the pants to not be lazy on them "since they are glocks".
    You are welcome.

I think many people have "bought" into the Glock marketing that you don't need to clean or lubricate them (or even change out springs). This is 100% wrong.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I own Glocks and can attest to them needing cleaning and lubing. Once I was doing a bit of causal shooting at the range, the guy next to me was trying to shoot his 17. Malfunctioned every shot. After a while I decided to step in (something I don't usually do). Asked if I could take a look, gun was bone dry, zero lube anywhere, he had never taken it apart. I showed him how to disassemble and lube it, it worked fine then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    ...As most often happens, the always-clean/never-clean purists are incapable of putting that sort of sensible middle ground into terms that DON'T manage to make it read like the polar opposite of their own stance. To them, the question MUST be polarized...
    Very well said.

In fact, you could replace "always-clean/never-clean" with just about any "issue" that is discussed on this or any other Internet forum, and the statement would still be true.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    There always has been and always will be the two kinds of shooters.
    Those who clean after every range trip....like me...and those that dont. And one cant understand the other.
    NEEDED or not, before my weapons are retired to the safe, drawer, bedroom, wherever...they are properly cleaned and lubed, period.
    Ive actually TRIED not to do this, and I could not sleep at all one night untill I got my LMT AR back out of the safe, and gave her a good going over.
    Holy crap are we related? I am exactly the same way. It will eat at me till I clean them.
    May you be in heaven at least an hour before the devil knows your dead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm surprised that many/some now feel the need "to alter their cleaning regimen". I don't understand why one WOULD PURPOSELY CHOOSE to have a filthy weapon. Maybe it's because of my love affair with the 1911. But I keep "tupperware" pretty clean, too: no several thousand rounds between cleanings.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    My Glock has just shy of 1200 rounds and I clean it every 200-250 rounds. Just a basic cleaning and relubing. Thanks to this thread I will learn to detail clean my Glock.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB45 View Post
    My Glock has just shy of 1200 rounds and I clean it every 200-250 rounds. Just a basic cleaning and relubing. Thanks to this thread I will learn to detail clean my Glock.
    IMHO, cleaning the barrel, inside of the frame and outside of the slide (which is what most people do when they clean their Glock) is not nearly as important as cleaning the FPS/Extractor and the corresponding areas in the slide. Reason is because Glock funnels debris towards those areas in an effort to make the run more reliable. The down side to this is that those areas become dirtier than in just about any other pistol AND have the biggest impact on reliability.

As an example, the FPS and extractor in my M&P (with over 10,000rds through it) looks like a Glock's FPS/Extractor with only 1,000rds through it.

C4

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast