Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean your GLOCK!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    To be honest, I am not sure who started this stupidity about not cleaning guns and such, but it is a horrible idea (especially if you are going to bet your life on it).

C4
    i think your should make your own
    (how to disassemble and clean you "xxxx" handgun properely)
    videos on your youtube page grant....

i bet alot of members on here would support the idea
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    To be honest, I am not sure who started this stupidity about not cleaning guns and such, but it is a horrible idea (especially if you are going to bet your life on it).

C4
    Lots of "experts" here and other forums support the idea that cleaning your guns is a bad idea - i.e. bad for accuracy, their instructors recommend not to do it ....

I am totally in favor of cleaning it after every range trip, it is also a great way to inspect and make sure all parts are in working order.

Feedback Score
    Just made some time in the day to break down my carry guns more often and keep them clean.....

Yikes....
    We are the first Warrior class in any Civilization to be provided with weapons and no belief system...... Dave Smith

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash1023 View Post
    i think your should make your own
    (how to disassemble and clean you "xxxx" handgun properely)
    videos on your youtube page grant....

i bet alot of members on here would support the idea
    I hate youtube. So pass on doing that.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brzusa.1911 View Post
    Lots of "experts" here and other forums support the idea that cleaning your guns is a bad idea - i.e. bad for accuracy, their instructors recommend not to do it ....

I am totally in favor of cleaning it after every range trip, it is also a great way to inspect and make sure all parts are in working order.
    Well the "experts" that I listen to (Vickers, Hackathorn) advise me that not cleaning and lubricating your firearm is stupid. So I think I will keep on listening to them.

Remember that not all "experts" are of the same quality.

Now with that said, YES you can do damage to your gun by over cleaning it (especially the barrel). So while I do not think you need to clean and lube it every time you shoot 100rds, there is nothing wrong with cleaning, lubricating it and function checking it after say 500rds.

If I had a dollar everytime someone went out and shot a bunch of rounds and then found a major problem AFTER shooting, I would be a rich man.

I personally am a fan of ultra sonic cleaners as they really do not do any harm to anything. If you do not have one of these, try using nylon brushes in the barrel (vs bronze or steel) or just soaking the barrel for several days in a solvent.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-20-12 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    Wow...I better check my newly acquired G26...those are some gummed up glocks on the first post.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brzusa.1911 View Post
    Lots of "experts" here and other forums support the idea that cleaning your guns is a bad idea - i.e. bad for accuracy, their instructors recommend not to do it .....
    Nope, that's not at all what the consensus has been.

The message has always been that firearms cleaning does not require the near-religous adherence specified by the military and other institutions, who have taken it to the point that they are damaging guns with over-cleaning and improper cleaning methods (i.e., scraping muzzle crowns with cleaning rods, and similar....).

As most often happens, the always-clean/never-clean purists are incapable of putting that sort of sensible middle ground into terms that DON'T manage to make it read like the polar opposite of their own stance. To them, the question MUST be polarized.

If one bothers to remember the clearly negative connotations of the word torture, and still manages to take "don't clean your guns" away from keeping track of any firearms torture-test that's correctly conducted and billed as such....well, that cat's pretty clearly a moron.

So, yeah, lots of lazy idiots positively wallow in NOT cleaning their guns...that's certainly factual...but the message has never been "don't clean."
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Whoa!

After seeing this thread I decided to detail strip my Gen4 G22 for the first time. Generally I will get 500-600 rounds through a Glock then detail strip it and then do it every 5000 along with replacing the springs.

My Gen4 G22 now has 725 rounds through it; mostly Magtech, Federal and WWB. It also has 25 rounds of Winchester SXT 180gr through it for a function check.

I'm happy to report the internals of my G22 looked nothing like those pictures. In fact I was expecting a nightmare but was pleasantly surprised at how non-filthy it was. I also didn't see rough edges around the FPS or rubbing marks on the FP either.

I feel much better now

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    Whoa!

After seeing this thread I decided to detail strip my Gen4 G22 for the first time. Generally I will get 500-600 rounds through a Glock then detail strip it and then do it every 5000 along with replacing the springs.

My Gen4 G22 now has 725 rounds through it; mostly Magtech, Federal and WWB. It also has 25 rounds of Winchester SXT 180gr through it for a function check.

I'm happy to report the internals of my G22 looked nothing like those pictures. In fact I was expecting a nightmare but was pleasantly surprised at how non-filthy it was. I also didn't see rough edges around the FPS or rubbing marks on the FP either.

I feel much better now
    Cool and this is what we were after with this thread. For people to be proactive about taking care of their weapon.

C4

Feedback Score
    I keep my training weapons lubed, but only clean them about every 3000-5000 rounds. FWIW, my Glocks have NEVER looked like those pictures above, even after 5000 rounds.

Carry/duty weapons are kept appropriately lubed and clean.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast