Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean your GLOCK!

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I did an experiment a couple of years ago in which I did not clean one of my Glocks for over a year (G34). I wanted to see how many rounds it would go before it failed. I went for 8500+ rounds, no failures (proper lubrication regularly). I gave up trying to break it and cleaned the gun. It looked nothing like the examples you showed? I am voting for improper lubrication and the wrong lubricant.

Feedback Score
    Have a Glock 23 with a bit over 10k rounds. When I detail stripped it for the first time there were some brass scrapings lodged in the extractor channel and the firing pin block/safety was also quite dirty with a couple brass scrapings, however it still did not look nearly as bad as your second example.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree improper cleaning and excessive cleaning having a negative effect. I do clean after every trip to the range - even if I just cycle my carry ammo. I don't think field stripping and wiping the dirt off with a rag and running a boresnake through the barrel is considered over cleaning. It gives me the chance to visually inspect the extractor, ejector, wipe off dirt from the feed ramp, rails, bolt carrier (if a rifle), ... and lub it well again. I will fully disassemble the gun at around 2000-3000 rounds for a detail clean.

That is what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Nope, that's not at all what the consensus has been.

The message has always been that firearms cleaning does not require the near-religous adherence specified by the military and other institutions, who have taken it to the point that they are damaging guns with over-cleaning and improper cleaning methods (i.e., scraping muzzle crowns with cleaning rods, and similar....).

As most often happens, the always-clean/never-clean purists are incapable of putting that sort of sensible middle ground into terms that DON'T manage to make it read like the polar opposite of their own stance. To them, the question MUST be polarized.

If one bothers to remember the clearly negative connotations of the word torture, and still manages to take "don't clean your guns" away from keeping track of any firearms torture-test that's correctly conducted and billed as such....well, that cat's pretty clearly a moron.

So, yeah, lots of lazy idiots positively wallow in NOT cleaning their guns...that's certainly factual...but the message has never been "don't clean."
    Last edited by brzusa.1911; 03-21-12 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Well the "experts" that I listen to (Vickers, Hackathorn) advise me that not cleaning and lubricating your firearm is stupid. So I think I will keep on listening to them.

Remember that not all "experts" are of the same quality.

Now with that said, YES you can do damage to your gun by over cleaning it (especially the barrel). So while I do not think you need to clean and lube it every time you shoot 100rds, there is nothing wrong with cleaning, lubricating it and function checking it after say 500rds.

If I had a dollar everytime someone went out and shot a bunch of rounds and then found a major problem AFTER shooting, I would be a rich man.

I personally am a fan of ultra sonic cleaners as they really do not do any harm to anything. If you do not have one of these, try using nylon brushes in the barrel (vs bronze or steel) or just soaking the barrel for several days in a solvent.

C4
    i usually use a jag and just press cleaning pads through the barrel until the pads come out clean. good? bad? thoughts?

Feedback Score
    probably seen before but I thought it was relevant, and helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/v/E1m6Qct68wo...layer_embedded

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post
    i usually use a jag and just press cleaning pads through the barrel until the pads come out clean. good? bad? thoughts?
    I think that is fine. Again, soaking the barrel in solvent goes a long way as well.

C4

Feedback Score
    Grant, I am intrigued by the parts cleaners. Being unfamiliar with these, are the chemicals caustic, toxic, or otherwise more harmful than say Hoppes #9 which I use(and hate the smell). Also whats a good system to start out with I googled and found many different options.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turdbocharged View Post
    Grant, I am intrigued by the parts cleaners. Being unfamiliar with these, are the chemicals caustic, toxic, or otherwise more harmful than say Hoppes #9 which I use(and hate the smell). Also whats a good system to start out with I googled and found many different options.

Thanks
    I use Crest. Here is the link to what they offer: http://www.guncleaners.com/

The detergent is cut my water (by a lot) and is really very mild (think DAWN). The oil is a very fine type that just keeps the weapon from rusting.

C4

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Went for my semi-annual range quals today with the issued G-21C. The deputy 2 lanes down had his 21C choke repeatedly. Rangemaster said it was dirty. More to the point, it was dirty AND bone dry. Mine purred like a kitten. Funny how that happens!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I think that is fine. Again, soaking the barrel in solvent goes a long way as well.

C4
    i'll give it a try...thanks!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast