Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P guys with APEX trigger kits

Feedback Score

M&P guys with APEX trigger kits

I've been looking at their kits for a while and wanting to get one for my MP9compact. I do carry it, and after dry firing my friends with the competition kit (with new trigger and all) I wanted to do mine.

Giving they say don't use the competition trigger kit if you carry, how many do? I would like the pull to be around 4.5 lbs. If I use the kit and the pull is too light can I put stock spring to make the trigger pull heavier? If so which spring?

My MP9 Pro is getting the competition trigger kit but I don't carry it so it is not a concern.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    I've been looking at their kits for a while and wanting to get one for my MP9compact. I do carry it, and after dry firing my friends with the competition kit (with new trigger and all) I wanted to do mine.

Giving they say don't use the competition trigger kit if you carry, how many do? I would like the pull to be around 4.5 lbs. If I use the kit and the pull is too light can I put stock spring to make the trigger pull heavier? If so which spring?

My MP9 Pro is getting the competition trigger kit but I don't carry it so it is not a concern.

Thanks!
    Hey man,

I think you had PM'd. I'm sorry if you did and I didn't get back to you. I run the trigger kit in one of my M&Ps and I carry it occasionally. I usually carry a Glock 17 or an M&P 9 with the DCAEK kit and RAM.

I'm not sure if it'll work with the thumb safety or not, but if I continue to carry that one, I'll likely put the thumb safety back in. The trigger feels extremely nice compared to a factory M&P.

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 03-18-12 at 16:51.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have four M&Ps with the FSS and trigger kits in all of them.
    I just ran the 9MM FS in a class for one day. No issues with lighter triggers (within reason) for me. The gun has a thumb safety, but, with or without a safety, I am the safety. The M&P with FSS, a Walther PPQ or a Glock with a 3.5 pound trigger are all as safe as the operator as far as I am concerned.

I personally prefer the extra level of safety that a thumb safety allows but I can and have lived without it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Thanks!
    Do what I do. Go with the DCAEK, get our Polish option and then buy the competition striker spring. This will give you a trigger between 4LBS-4.5LBS.

C4

Feedback Score
    There seems to be a little variation between pistols, but here is my typical weights with various Apex configurations:

1) FSST with Apex trigger spring: 4 lbs with essentially zero uptake.
    2) DCAEK with factory trigger spring: 3.5 lbs
    3) DCAEK with Apex trigger Spring: 5 lbs.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the whole trigger sear/ram package I liked the trigger more. I find my self not pushing the trigger sometimes right and the bottom of the trigger safety is getting caught on the frame. I'm a dumbass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    There seems to be a little variation between pistols, but here is my typical weights with various Apex configurations:

1) FSST with Apex trigger spring: 4 lbs with essentially zero uptake.
    2) DCAEK with factory trigger spring: 3.5 lbs
    3) DCAEK with Apex trigger Spring: 5 lbs.
    DCAEK is just the spring kit correct? Why would you want to up the trigger LBS to 5lbs. using the apex trigger springs?

Feedback Score
    DCAEK is just the spring kit correct? Why would you want to up the trigger LBS to 5lbs. using the apex trigger springs?
    DCAEK kit involves replacing the striker block, sear, and sear spring with APEX parts. Doing just this gives you a smoother trigger uptake and reduces the weight to release the striker down to about 3-3.5 lbs. However, this is a little lighter than most people/agencies want for duty, so APEX includes a stiffer trigger spring to bring the weight up to about 5 lbs (+/- 1 lb). Their competition kit has a trigger spring that brings the weight up to about 4 lbs.

FYI, although the Glock "-" connector is supposed to be 3.5 lbs, I've found that the weight is really only cut down to about 4-4.5 lbs in most gen 3 guns (from about 5.5 lbs). The point that I'm making is that 4-5 lbs is rather light for any service pistol, and a true 3.5 lbs is very rare outside of 1911's

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    DCAEK kit involves replacing the striker block, sear, and sear spring with APEX parts. Doing just this gives you a smoother trigger uptake and reduces the weight to release the striker down to about 3-3.5 lbs. However, this is a little lighter than most people/agencies want for duty, so APEX includes a stiffer trigger spring to bring the weight up to about 5 lbs (+/- 1 lb). Their competition kit has a trigger spring that brings the weight up to about 4 lbs.

FYI, although the Glock "-" connector is supposed to be 3.5 lbs, I've found that the weight is really only cut down to about 4-4.5 lbs in most gen 3 guns (from about 5.5 lbs). The point that I'm making is that 4-5 lbs is rather light for any service pistol, and a true 3.5 lbs is very rare outside of 1911's
    So I could get the DCAEK and the comp spring kit (24.99) and play around with the springs a little to get 3.5 lb or use comp spring and get 4lb?

Also

could I use the forward set sear and trigger kit and get the Duty Carry spring kit and use those springs to get 4lb trigger?

Feedback Score
    So I could get the DCAEK and the comp spring kit (24.99) and play around with the springs a little to get 3.5 lb or use comp spring and get 4lb?

Also

could I use the forward set sear and trigger kit and get the Duty Carry spring kit and use those springs to get 4lb trigger?
    The DCAEK and Cometition Action Enhancement Kit (CAEK) use the same hard sear and striker block. Thus, you can play with various spring combinations to find your ideal trigger weight. However, I always came back to the straight DCAEK for my weapons. Notice that the CAEK uses a different sear spring, striker spring, and trigger return spring to bring DOWN the trigger pull to 3 lbs or a little less. This full competition kit is actually less trigger weight than the DCAEK with a factory trigger spring (about 3.5 lbs) due to the different striker and sear springs in the competition kit.

I do not believe the the FSST kit is comparable with DCAEK or CAEK springs since the FSST uses a different sear. I seem to remember that a new trigger return spring was needed for the FSST for reliable function as the factory spring would not work. I would call Apex and talk to Randy or Scott before mixing springs across the FSST and other kits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast