Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P guys with APEX trigger kits

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Do what I do. Go with the DCAEK, get our Polish option and then buy the competition striker spring. This will give you a trigger between 4LBS-4.5LBS.

C4
    You have to buy the sear separately to get the polish option correct?

Feedback Score
    I have the Apex FSS-T kit in my fullsize M&P. I had Apex install it, and when I got it back I was shocked at how light the trigger felt. I have a thumb safety on my gun, so I don't worry about carrying it, and now that I've practiced with it, the trigger feels completely normal. I think the pull is around 3.5lbs.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I, too, am toying around with the idea of upgrading my stock trigger. I would like a trigger in the 4-5 lb. range that has a smooth, consistent break. I was thinking about just going DCAEK, but it's my understanding that the trigger break is even further back (thus more pre-travel) than the stock trigger. Is this right? Anyone with the DCAEK that can comment if this is a "problem" with shooting for speed/accuracy?

Also, is the FSS something that should even be considered for a "duty" type weapon (read: for carry, not for competition)?

I'm really kicking myself in the butt for not shooting Grants M&P at the Vickers class in November!
    (Grant, are you using the FSS or DCAEK in your carry gun?)
    Last edited by Ironman8; 03-19-12 at 10:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just the sear alone with a broken in striker spring will yield a 4 to 4.5 pound pull.

The newer guns with the larger sear springs can be closer to five pounds but a stock gun with a bit of wear, ie compressions on those springs should still come in under five pounds.

Randy has done an incredible job R&Ding a proper spring weight for his competition striker weight spring as we've had almost ZERO issues with light strikes running these, certainly less than a Glock with a lighter than Factory striker spring. Still, having said this, for the sake of maximum reliability, i think running factory striker springs is the way to go.

Because of the way the M&P is designed you only feel the striker spring weight during the actual "wall" or "break" fast of the trigger press. Pre travel is unaffected unlike on a Glock.

IF this were a perfect world i would actually do the following:

DCAEK heavy trigger return spring
    AEK Competition striker spring
    AEK Competition sear spring
    Hard Sear
    USB

This combo will yield about a four pound pull with significant resistance in the pre travel to facilitate proper prepping of the trigger. The closer my striker fired pistols feel to a DOA revolver with a short, striker style reset, the happier i am.

Glass rod breaks are for 1911's and weirdos.

In a NON perfect world i would test my above setup with all of the above minus the striker spring. Provided we experienced no sear flutter that setup would be in my eyes, safe and adequate for carry purposes right at around 4+ pounds.

Light triggers are a detriment to control in my eyes so think about this one long and hard.

Clarification:

The issues that we have had with the light weight striker springs ONLY occurs with Tula/Wolf 9mm ammunition as this off the shelf brand uses small rifle primers that are exceedingly hard to touch off. All brass cased, commercial ammo has been good to go with the light weight striker springs.
    Last edited by Magsz; 03-19-12 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I dropped in just the standard APEX sear when they first came out and put a light polish on the striker engagement face. It made a substantial difference. The trigger smoothed out and the weight dropped to about 4 lbs. Later I put the RAM in, this did make the reset better but when shooting fast I can't really feel the reset on any gun I've shot.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I, too, am toying around with the idea of upgrading my stock trigger. I would like a trigger in the 4-5 lb. range that has a smooth, consistent break. I was thinking about just going DCAEK, but it's my understanding that the trigger break is even further back (thus more pre-travel) than the stock trigger. Is this right? Anyone with the DCAEK that can comment if this is a "problem" with shooting for speed/accuracy?

Also, is the FSS something that should even be considered for a "duty" type weapon (read: for carry, not for competition)?

I'm really kicking myself in the butt for not shooting Grants M&P at the Vickers class in November!
    (Grant, are you using the FSS or DCAEK in your carry gun?)
    I would have no issues with using the FSS for CCW, but then again, I am a 1911 guy so I am used to a gun with 3.5LBS trigger and really no safety (as soon as the gun clears the holster).

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-20-12 at 16:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Just the sear alone with a broken in striker spring will yield a 4 to 4.5 pound pull.

The newer guns with the larger sear springs can be closer to five pounds but a stock gun with a bit of wear, ie compressions on those springs should still come in under five pounds.

Randy has done an incredible job R&Ding a proper spring weight for his competition striker weight spring as we've had almost ZERO issues with light strikes running these, certainly less than a Glock with a lighter than Factory striker spring. Still, having said this, for the sake of maximum reliability, i think running factory striker springs is the way to go.

Because of the way the M&P is designed you only feel the striker spring weight during the actual "wall" or "break" fast of the trigger press. Pre travel is unaffected unlike on a Glock.

IF this were a perfect world i would actually do the following:

DCAEK heavy trigger return spring
    AEK Competition striker spring
    AEK Competition sear spring
    Hard Sear
    USB

This combo will yield about a four pound pull with significant resistance in the pre travel to facilitate proper prepping of the trigger. The closer my striker fired pistols feel to a DOA revolver with a short, striker style reset, the happier i am.

Glass rod breaks are for 1911's and weirdos.

In a NON perfect world i would test my above setup with all of the above minus the striker spring. Provided we experienced no sear flutter that setup would be in my eyes, safe and adequate for carry purposes right at around 4+ pounds.

Light triggers are a detriment to control in my eyes so think about this one long and hard.

Clarification:

The issues that we have had with the light weight striker springs ONLY occurs with Tula/Wolf 9mm ammunition as this off the shelf brand uses small rifle primers that are exceedingly hard to touch off. All brass cased, commercial ammo has been good to go with the light weight striker springs.
    Curious about your perfect world scenario. I currently have:
    competition spring kit
    Hard Sear
    USB
    RAM

in my MP 40 no manual safety. It is pretty light 3.5 lbs but crisp break and with a positive reset. I started thinking about putting the oem trigger reset spring back in to carry it. I wasnt sure how this would affect my weight? Id like to be in the 5 lb realm. Would this serve my purpose or should I just buy the duty spring kit
    Last edited by usnavydoc; 03-21-12 at 16:19. Reason: New info

Feedback Score
    Lots of agencies have a 5 lbs minimum trigger pull weight--this works well on a duty/carry pistol.

When I carried 1911's, all had an 5-5.5 lbs trigger. My 9mm Glocks use an OEM "-" connecter and stock trigger spring give a 5-5.5 lbs pull measured mid-trigger. My M&P's with Apex Duty Kits give a 5-5.5 lbs trigger pull.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12