Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's Wrong!

Feedback Score
    Thank you for putting the pictures up, I think Windows is conducting low level insurgancy operations on my computer.

The upper is the billet unit that I make for my sniper grade guns. It was intended to provide a really stiff foundation for building long barrel stuff so it is rather a waste on an 18" fluted barrel but it does have the side charging handle built in, which was something I wanted for prone use, so I used an old scratch and dent because I knew it was going to get painted.

Gas tube damage was the immediate concern, for regular use but this gun was initially only going to be used for hitting coyotes (groundhogs in Summer) from a prone position. When you are carrying it the bipod legs shield the tube so you would need to hit it hard enough to break one of the legs off and I would then be worried about the optic and the barrel.

I suppose the other thing about the build was that I was simply trying to set something up that did not follow the same patern. What was supprising was how well the set up worked. The bipod from Vltor set up short on the handguard is a worth trying for a varmint type gun.

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    Kind of reminiscent of the following:

Canadian C2

A Canadian buddy of mine had a semi-auto version made up from some parts kits several years ago.

Feedback Score
    Do you sell those uppers separately?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here is something, would it be possible to take a 4-way rail, like a LaRue for instance, and simply mill out the 6,3, and 9 o'clock rails past the first few inches, leaving the vent area around the gas tube and 12 o'clock rail intact to protect the gas tube? (and hopefully still providing a stable mounting platform)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Very cool Bill!

I need to be checking into the 6.5 more.

You going to be at SHOT? It's about time we met, don't you think?

Feedback Score
    It would have been possible to either mill away the rails of a regular hand guard or to just add a few short rails to a free float tube but I was trying to do something different than the regular build mainly for fun but also to see the strong and weak points of the changes.

One of the things I have found is that the skinny barrel has a lot less visual signature than a handguard so it is easier to blend the rifle into the background.

I may not be going to SHOT, but it depends upon the workload and if the TULA design engineers are going. I have another big ammunition manufacturer stepping up. If they announce I will be there.

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    I like it!

Feedback Score
    How difficult would it be to fab a gas tube protector that attaches to the gas block? I figure that'd be an interesting little machining experiment.

Feedback Score
    Interesting 'Coyote gun'....

So where's the coyote pics
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    Super Looker Bill,

Sure it performs even better.
    I like the bare-barrel look. The pistol fore-grip is cool, but what abourt using one that hinges/folds? That way you have a bit of flat forend if you want it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12