Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO H&K USP 9

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

LEO H&K USP 9

Im looking to replace my M&P9 and I came across an H&K today. It's a full size USP9 with the jet funnel, 2 18 round mags, night sights and a rather large H&K light. $475. The gun looks to have more holster wear the actual use. So I have a few questions.

First obviously is that package worth the price?

Second. Obviously I'm gonna need more mags. How hard is it to find the 18 rounders? And what should I expect to pay for them, avg? I did a google search and mainly got results from where people were selling them on forums like this.

Third. Quality, relibility. Obviously I know of H&K but is there anything I should be aware off or are they pretty much like Glocks?

Anything else you could tell me that I might not have thought of?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    It's an excellent price for a USP w/ night sights and a jet funnel, especially if the majority of the wear is just cosmetic. If it's to be used as a self defense gun I would recommend ditching the jet funnel and using regular 15 round mags. The 18 round mags were designed for competition and are less reliable than the 15 round mags.

Sell the Jet funnel and mags and you'll be looking at a good condition USP for under $400. Great deal.

The USP 9mm is built like a tank as far as reliability/durability goes. They are way less friendly than a Glock to detail strip but the smallparts tend to last longer than those on a Glock. Trigger return springs seem to be the first thing to go.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 03-22-12 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I figured the mags would be gtg being marked LE and all. What makes the 18 round mags less reliable?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I buy my mags from either hkparts.net or topgunsupply.com - 2 sponsors on hkpro.com.

I bought my USP-9 back in 2001 for $650 with meprolight night sights and 10rd mags. I think $400 for just the weapon and 2 mags is a great deal. What's the build date on your USP (look at the slide and next to the stag horn and serial no, there should be a 2 letter code)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have photos and the store is closed already so I'd have to wait rill tomorrow to call and find out the code/date.

Is there a date time frame I should avoid?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IIRC, HK beefed up the firing pin in 2006-2007. Nothing bad or a must have, but nice to have if dry firing w/o snap caps worry you. You can also buy the new firing pin from hkparts.net and replacing is fairly easy I hear.

If you don't know how many rounds have been through it and it's an old date code, then it may be worthwhile to inspect the recoil spring assembly and extractor spring, and replace if necessary.

Beyond that, my 1996 date code USP-9 compact and 2001 date code USP-9 are tanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great price on a great pistol. Any year is good to go.....I wouldn't worry about getting the 18 rounders unless you have some specific need for them. The regular magazines should provide more than enough of a round count and are readily available, if not cheap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't have photos and the store is closed already so I'd have to wait rill tomorrow to call and find out the code/date.

Is there a date time frame I should avoid?

I bet the date code is AF (2005) which is the new FP style. I picked up one of those PD trades. Mine was a unissued gun and I paid $700 for the package. If I were you I would jump on it quick! Love mine!

Feedback Score
    Those 18 round mags are expensive, like $60+ each. You might want to get rid of the jet funnel because the 15 round mags aren’t too bad at like $35. You can still use the 18 rounders but they’ll protrude a little, similar to a G17 mag in a G19… no biggie.

USPs are great guns.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    That's an absolutely amazing deal for the package. I would buy the package for almost twice that price.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast